Skip to main content
Topic: Oven Problem (Read 198 times) previous topic - next topic
Oven Problem
Our oven won't stay lit and the flame from the pilot is odd, not a strong column but rather wide and flickering. I am guessing the pilot orifice needs to be cleaned but I can't seem to get the pilot gas feed line off the pilot assembly to get the orifice out, I've never done this before and I'm scared to damage the tubing. There is a single large brass nut but if i try to turn it, it tries to twist the whole assembly. Online it says disconnect the supply line likes it no big deal but I don't understand how. Help!
98 MB

Re: Oven Problem
Reply #1
"There is a single large brass nut but if i try to turn it, it tries to twist the whole assembly. Online it says disconnect the supply line likes it no big deal but I don't understand how."
----
LPG lines are a 'two wrench' operation; the lines and joints can be damaged if not handled properly. Since  propane is a volatile substance, and you apparently are unsure about how to go about this job, I suggest having the work done by a tech who's experienced with propane systems. (I also suggest having a pressure test done on the system after any work is done.)

2003 TK has a new home

Re: Oven Problem
Reply #2
I suggest having the work done by a tech who's experienced with propane systems. (I also suggest having a pressure test done on the system after any work is done.)

Along with the pressure check, the pressure regulator should be check for the proper pressure, it can cause poor pilot and burner performance if the pressure is set too low.
The pressure should be adjusted to 11"/H2O (eleven inches of water), with two appliances burning. The pressure is checked with a manometer.
It's best done by someone who knows what they are doing.

Is the problem with the pilot not staying lit or the oven not staying lit?
If the oven,  it could be a problem with the thermocouple. The pilot flame should be directly under the thermocouple.
When the thermocouple is hot enough, it produces enough electrical power to open the solenoid, allowing gas to flow to the valve and then to the burner.
A weak thermocouple will not produce enough power to keep the solenoid open. It can be borderline and cause intermittent problems.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze