Skip to main content
Topic: Heliotrope's HPV-22B swap out for a HPV-22 (Read 315 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Heliotrope's HPV-22B ...
Heliotrope's HPV-22B swap out for a HPV-22
Yahoo Message Number: 89041
Got around to swapping out the HPV-22B for the old (6 months old)HPV- 22.  Easy job, I do wonder why AM Solar sends the temperature probe with the new units when they know that this was for a swap out with and older model and the old probe wire was
anyone know if the older temp probes (hpv-22x or rv-30S) are compatible with the blue sky controllers? or do new blue sky installs need the blue sky probes routed? i know the blue sky manuals say to only use the BS probe, but they seem like similar systems.
1999 MB

Re: Heliotrope's HPV-22B swap out for a HPV-22
Reply #1
anyone know if the older temp probes (hpv-22x or rv-30S) are compatible with the blue sky controllers? or do new blue sky installs need the blue sky probes routed? i know the blue sky manuals say to only use the BS probe, but they seem like similar systems.

We have the 22B. I was told by the folks at AM Solar that the temp sensor probe isn't interchangeable with the Blue Sky stuff. However, I think someone here recently suggested you might splice the old connection to the new.

Jim

Reply #2
We have the 22B. I was told by the folks at AM Solar that the temp sensor probe isn't interchangeable with the Blue Sky stuff. However, I think someone here recently suggested you might splice the old connection to the new.
Yes, the old probe can be cut off, at the battery end, and the new probe can be spliced on.
The probes are not polarized.

Batteries are temperature sensitive, needing to charge at lower voltages when hot and higher voltage when cold.
The battery temperature is monitored by the probe and allows the controller to provide the proper voltage for the temperature, .

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Yes, the old probe can be cut off, at the battery end, and the new probe can be spliced on.
The probes are not polarized.

Larry
Thanks.  When you have done this in the past the two wires were not dissimilar metals? Perhaps it is not a normal thermocouple, but I had thought the entire leads were each of a particular metal, which dictates the temperature/voltage curve...

1999 MB

Reply #4
These probes are not thermocouples - they are thermistors. This is a semiconductor device that changes resistance with temperature, and they can be a bit polarity sensitive. If the directions on the Blue Sky don't specify, then it won't matter.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #5
These probes are not thermocouples - they are thermistors. This is a semiconductor device that changes resistance with temperature, and they can be a bit polarity sensitive. If the directions on the Blue Sky don't specify, then it won't matter.
I have since upgraded to a Sky Blue 3000i.
AM Solar told me to cut off the old sensor off and to splice in the new thermistor and that the sensor wasn't polarized.
If in doubt, give AM Solar a call.

Larry

Larry

Reply #6
That makes way more sense.  Thanks for the clarity guys.
1999 MB

Reply #7
I am replacing my HPV-22B controller with a Blue Sky 3000i. I have a 2011 TK which has factory controller mounted in a shallow box. Behind this box is the refrigerator. I will need to remove this box in order to install the Blue Sky controller. I have a deeper metal box provided by Blue Sky. Has anyone here removed the factory box and mounted the Blue Sky box in its place?
James Allen Jackson

Reply #8
The 3000i is taller and narrower than the HP-22B.
Sky Blue 3000i solar controller | Flickr

I used the Heliotrope's old cover to make an adapter.
Sky Blue sells an adapter.
Heliotrope to Blue Sky Adapter Plate

Larry
Larry

Reply #9
I think he's looking to replace an interior box,  like a junction box. I'm not sure why there needs to be one for your model,  as mine had no box(not the heliotrope nor the 3000i). Is there any wood or non conductive barrier between the box and the fridge? Or would there just be fridge metal if you went with no box? The below box is a blue sky box but it's for exterior mounting I think.  I haven't seen one specific to recess mounting.

1999 MB

Reply #10
I think he's looking to replace an interior box,  like a junction box. I'm not sure why there needs to be one for your model,  as mine had no box(not the heliotrope nor the 3000i). Is there any wood or non conductive barrier between the box and the fridge? Or would there just be fridge metal if you went with no box? The below box is a blue sky box but it's for exterior mounting I think.  I haven't seen one specific to recess mounting.
w.blueskyenergyinc.com/images/uploads/products/thumbs/Wall_mount_box_SC30_SB3000i.jpg[/img]

He should be able to use the stock box, after a little modification.
As said before, the 3000i is taller and this requires cutting away either at the top or the bottom of the stock box, to provide clearance. 
An oscillating tool, with a wood blade, makes this an easy job.
If the stock box is too shallow, the 3000i can be spaced outward, not a bad idea since it promotes cooling.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/23756703815/in/album-72157661711994929/

Larry
Larry

Reply #11
"If the stock box is too shallow, the 3000i can be spaced outward, not a bad idea since it promotes cooling."
---
I don't think that there's a choice about spacing the 3000i 'outward' in a TK; there is very little space between the wall where the controller is mounted and the refrigerator. When AM replaced the HPV 22B with the 3000i in my TK (a 2003, but I think that the position/spacing is the same as in later models), the face plate adapter wasn't available, so they built a 'box' (of scrap birch; they mitered the corners) to surround the part of the controller (about 2") which sticks out from the wall.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #12
Sorry for the late response. I’m still figuring out this new forum format. What I am asking is how difficult is it to remove the existing shallow wood box and replace it with the Blue Sky metal box. There is no room behind the existing shallow box to make it deeper. The refrigerator is directly behind the thin luan wall board. Thanks
James
James Allen Jackson

Reply #13
Possibly no one has removed the box.
Instead the existing box is rebuilt outward and downward, using custom cut small pieces of wood.
This has got to be a lot easier than tearing the original box out and trying to replace it.
Removing anything LD installed can lead to damage, it wasn't designed to be removed.

See Joan's repsone above, her LD has the same kitchen wall, with a 3000i installed.
It looks factory installed and would be my way of changing the controller out.

Larry
Larry