Skip to main content
Topic: RV Keyless door lock (Read 345 times) previous topic - next topic
RV Keyless door lock
I'm curious to know if anyone here has replaced their RV door lock with this keyless door lock and if it's compatible with the Lazy Daze door hole. What are the pro's and con's going with this kind of door lock?   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdPiYeTJkKw&feature=em-uploademail                        Thanks in advance, Martha                                                            
2004 MB

Re: RV Keyless door lock
Reply #1
Why bother? Even if this lock cannot be easily defeated, the front doors can be popped open in seconds. There is a cure for that, connect the door armrests together with a tie-down strap. But, not while driving, OK!

If your concern is it the door being opened while you are inside, I would think using both locks would allow you time to react to the intrusion in an appropriate manner. If your concern is while you are away. I doubt you can do much about that. A long pry bar could open it. That brings up would the loss of items be greater than the cost to replace a door and frame. Think 4-digits here.

If you have a window open without a rod in the slide track to prevent it from being opened enough to allow someone to wiggle in - that's another exposure.

You might want to chat with a community policing officer. They have seen it all. Most large cities have them. Call, make an appointment. They can come to you.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #2
My wife bought me one for christmas. The striker plate was different then the LD. And the unit looked large for the hole. I returned it.
Lynn and Lori

Reply #3
Hi Martha. I believe the door vendor, and lock changed around the time the 50th anniversary edition came out (2007). My 1999 had a two part lock, with the dead bolt separated from the main door lock. All of the combination door locks I've seen have both the dead bolt part and the passage lock part built into one block. The previous thread I found referred to the Bargeman L-300 lock. That could be what I have. What I didn't like is the electronic ones only lock the dead bolt portion, and that didn't look as secure as the more ordinary dead bolt part I have.
  So it depends on which lock you presently have. I think the 2004 is like mine. For the electronic ones, the keypad outside extends over past the hole in the door, so it looks larger. But you wouldn't want to be able to poke a hole in the keypad and reach the lock innards anyway.
  I don't know how many permutations to the two keys there were in the Bargeman lock. Probably at least a few hundred per key. Both locks would give many choices. It keeps the really amateur people out.
   Just to be sure I went and 'picked' my two locks. I'm not an expert; I did know which way they turned and which side of the cylinder the tumblers were on. Less than 3 minutes for the bolt and 30 seconds for the passage lock. The electronic locks did have two sided keys which are harder to 'pick'. Picking' leaves no marks and is very quiet. As far as insurance companies go, it might be hard to prove that the door was properly locked. Broken windows are more obvious.  Non RV type locks and alarms might be a better route to go. (I remember a friend's large and very stealthy German Shepard...)  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #4
Well... While I was napping the last few years, the door lock on my motorhome seems to have become extinct. I can't find any references to it, no parts either. Can't even tell who used to make them. I would think there would be a few people that jumped on the old design to continue making parts. I did find a collection of old Bargman lock cylinders at really high prices. Leftovers from some store inventory perhaps. Maybe I'll have to consider re working the door to fit the new style. I guess Lazy Daze changed door locks because they had to, umm 2006, only eleven years ago.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #5
Why bother? Even if this lock cannot be easily defeated, the front doors can be popped open in seconds. There is a cure for that, connect the door armrests together with a tie-down strap. But, not while driving, OK!

If your concern is it the door being opened while you are inside, I would think using both locks would allow you time to react to the intrusion in an appropriate manner. If your concern is while you are away. I doubt you can do much about that. A long pry bar could open it. That brings up would the loss of items be greater than the cost to replace a door and frame. Think 4-digits here.

If you have a window open without a rod in the slide track to prevent it from being opened enough to allow someone to wiggle in - that's another exposure.

You might want to chat with a community policing officer. They have seen it all. Most large cities have them. Call, make an appointment. They can come to you.

Don speaks of "loss of items". Just a reminder that it's a very simple task to take your smart phone, open each cabinet, drawer and outside compartment and take a photo. Voila! You now have a record of all the personal items in your Lazy Daze - just in case. Can you even guess how much it would cost to replace all the stuff we travel with?

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #6
"Don speaks of "loss of items". Just a reminder that it's a very simple task to take your smart phone, open each cabinet, drawer and outside compartment and take a photo. Voila! You now have a record of all the personal items in your Lazy Daze - just in case. Can you even guess how much it would cost to replace all the stuff we travel with?"

I did this when we had a fire bearing down on us.  Spoiler:  we avoided any danger

We did the same with our goods in the storage room off site, although mostly it was a picture of a bunch of cardboard boxes.  Many were precisely labeled, but those labels were not that easy to read in a photo.

Virtual hugs,

Judie  <-- Sierra Vista, Arizona
   Adventures of Dorrie Anne | Photographing the West

Today:  The Boneless Chicken Ranch

Reply #7
"Don speaks of "loss of items". Just a reminder that it's a very simple task to take your smart phone, open each cabinet, drawer and outside compartment and take a photo. Voila! You now have a record of all the personal items in your Lazy Daze - just in case. Can you even guess how much it would cost to replace all the stuff we travel with?"

I did this when we had a fire bearing down on us.  Spoiler:  we avoided any danger

We did the same with our goods in the storage room off site, although mostly it was a picture of a bunch of cardboard boxes.  Many were precisely labeled, but those labels were not that easy to read in a photo.

Virtual hugs,

Judie  <-- Sierra Vista, Arizona
   Adventures of Dorrie Anne | Photographing the West

Today:  The Boneless Chicken Ranch

I would also recommend scanning copies of receipts and keep a copy in the cloud.

Jim

Reply #8
A combination entry door lock would only remove one of nine keys, from my RV keychain, and adds another password to remember.
Not much of a benefit.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze