Skip to main content
Topic: Finally Our Turn - ICC Driver Fees (Read 901 times) previous topic - next topic
Finally Our Turn - ICC Driver Fees

FIRST TIME POSTING BUT WE FINALLY HAVE A REASON. MY WIFE AND I JUST MAILED IN OUR ORDER FORM AND DEPOSIT CHECK FOR OUR 2018 , 27' MID BATH.  WE ARE SO EXCITED. IF IT WAS READY TOMORROW IT WOULD MAKE HER A REALLY HAPPY CAMPER. WE ARE EXPECTING MID MAY TO EARLY JUNE COMPLETION . WE ARE LIKE MOST FOLKS AND DID A LOT OF RESEARCH AND VISITED THE MOTHER SHIP AND OBVIOUSLY ARE SOLD.
            CAN ANYONE GIVE US AN IDEA WHAT IT COST TO HAVE THE COMMERCIAL DRIVER DELIVER OUR NEW MOTOR HOME TO THE NEVADA LINE. WE ARE PAYING OUR SALES TAX IN OUR HOME STATE OF FLORIDA SO CALIFORNIA LAW SAYS WE HAVE TO STAY OUT OF CALIFORNIA FOR A YEAR.  SILLY LAW . WE HAD PLANED ON TOURING THERE FIST BUT I GUESS IT WILL HAVE TO WAIT.

2018 MB

Re: FINALLY OUR TURN
Reply #1
Tom

I'm sure you did not intend to SHOUT at us so perhaps you might desist with the Caps next time.

First, welcome to the LDO Group. You're going to find this forum to be a very valuable resource.

Let's make a presumption here... presume that I am you. I might be inclined to find out if Florida will pre-register that soon to be built Lazy Daze before making the trip out here to take delivery. I would presume that the factory would have identified the chassis for the build and would give me the VIN number which would no doubt be needed by Florida for the registration.

Once the driver has carried me and my new coach to Vegas and the paperwork has been finalized there isn't much that would keep me from putting the new Florida plates on the new coach and drive back over the state line.   :o   8)  I see motor homes on California roads nearly every day with out of state plates.  :-X
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
Tom,

Congratulations, first of all. Secondly your decision to stay out of our Beautiful State of California is a shame. A whole year...oh my.

Some new LD owners have weighed the pros and cons of “paying and staying” vs. “Leaving and returning”. Which costs more? The extra taxes or the return trip to California in a year?

Just curious. Congratulations non-the less.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #3
We took delivery of our 2017 mid bath in April 2017.  We also hired, through LD (LD arranges the driver and collects the money from you), a driver to take us to the AZ border.  I don't remember the price, but I am sure Todd can give you the current amount.  Congratulation on your decision to purchase a LD, I am sure you will not be disappointed.
Ross Taylor
2017 MB

Reply #4
CAN ANYONE GIVE US AN IDEA WHAT IT COST TO HAVE THE COMMERCIAL DRIVER DELIVER OUR NEW MOTOR HOME TO THE NEVADA LINE.

As I recall, it cost us around $350 back in 2004, so prices may have gone up since then.  Call the factory and find out.

You can also take delivery in Ehrenburg, AZ.
Linda Hylton

Reply #5
Being from Oregon with no sales tax we took posession in Nevada.  If I remember right the cost was around $250 for the driver.   Then there is the cost of the notary in Las Vegas around $50 or so.    One more expense is gas.   I would suggest getting a half tank in California then filling up closer to Nevada.   Gas will be cheaper, much cheaper.    Once in Las Vegas you can get supplies for your long happy trip home. 

personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #6
When we picked up our 2017 MD on Oct 6, it cost $450 for the ICC driver to take us to Ehrenburg, AZ.  Also, FYI - Even though Todd instructed the ICC company owner to tell their drivers to follow the break-in period driving suggestions, our driver did not get that message.  After noticing that he was using cruise control, going over 70, and gunning the engine up hills, I asked him to pull over and I showed the driver the break-in period driving suggestions in the Lazy Daze manual.   All was good after that.  I called also Todd and informed him.

Glenn & Joan Lambert
Redford, MI   
Glenn & Joan Lambert
Redford, MI
2017 27' Mid-Bath

Reply #7
This is from 9 years ago, so may no longer apply.  When I picked up my 2008 MB, I had sent the factory payment in full well in advance of delivery.  They, in turn, sent me all necessary documents.  I took them to my NJ DMV office and registered my vehicle a few weeks before delivery, got insurance, and got my license plates.  I put the plates on at the factory and proceeded to freely drive north through California on 395, spending days in the state with no concerns.

Whether that is still an available option, I don't know, but for me, it was a really easy, painless delivery.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #8
Each state has different regulations for registering vehicles; checking for the proper procedures with the DMV in one's own state of residence should provide the best information. 
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #9
This is from 9 years ago, so may no longer apply.  When I picked up my 2008 MB, I had sent the factory payment in full well in advance of delivery.  They, in turn, sent me all necessary documents.  I took them to my NJ DMV office and registered my vehicle a few weeks before delivery, got insurance, and got my license plates.  I put the plates on at the factory and proceeded to freely drive north through California on 395, spending days in the state with no concerns.

Whether that is still an available option, I don't know, but for me, it was a really easy, painless delivery.

Ken F in NM

The company that sells an article, any article, is liable for the sales tax in California.    What this means is LD is responsible for collecting the taxes.  If they don't collect the tax from the person that buys the RV then they will have to pay it out of their  (LD) pocket.   The whole reason for taking delivery in another state is for the factory not paying or being liable for  the sales tax to California.   That is why all the paper work is notarized.   

personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #10
We took delivery of our 2015 Twin King (floor model) on January 18, 2016.  The cost for the driver to take us to Las Vegas was $395.00.  They required a separate money order for that.  Additionally, there was a ten dollar, "one trip permit" cost and a $40.00 fee for the notary who drove to our location in Las Vegas and met us to execute all the papers.

The notary, Eddie LaRue, was an older guy who seemed familiar with local Vegas and the law enforcement there .... was kind of cool to visit with him.  I later googled his name and discovered he was also a private detective and the  television series back in the late seventies, Dan Tanna, with Robert Urich, was inspired by his professional life. 

The whole experience of taking delivery in California and driving to Vegas, and then the next few days driving on to Oklahoma was great and so exciting.  We have had zero issues with our Laze Daze in the almost two years and 20,000 miles we've had it. Congratulations on your order!

Joe
Joe
2015 TK

Re: Finally Our Turn - ICC Driver Fees
Reply #11
Congratulations on taking the plunge.  We are from Sebring, FL and picked up our 2017 27' MB on June 12th after a 10.5 month wait after ordering.  This being our 1st RV ever, I wanted to spend a few days in a campground near the mothership in case something went wrong or I just didn't know what I was doing.  Also, not wanting someone else driving it and ignoring the break-in period for the engine, we opted  to take the hit on California sales tax and stayed at the KOA Pomona before hitting the road.  We spent this summer putting 9,000 miles on her from California to Florida to Minnesota, UP of Michigan, Detroit, Cape Cod, North Carolina and now back to Florida.  The only issue we've had is a dripping AC/HP when the humidity is high, which we've been told is "normal".  We paid a nominal fee to get a transit pass good to get us back to Florida for the plates.  (In Highlands they wanted several documents we couldn't provide before actually picking up the LD to get the plates).  Bossa Nova has been great and we're looking forward to a few trips this winter in our beautiful State before heading out again in May for the summer.  Life is good.
David and Marie Philbrick
Proud former 2017 27' MB Owners

Reply #12
WOW!!!!!!!    Thanks for all the great info. I think we will opt for the Vegas delivery. We will still save around 500 bucks which will buy a lot of Bologna.  If i didn't mention ours is a Blue and white 27 ft. mid-bath and we will be towing our 2002 jeep wrangler.
bright yellow with a black hard top that we affectionately call the FUN PIG .
2018 MB

Reply #13
Being from California and taking delivery here, I can't advise on the costs of over-the-border delivery.  We placed our deposit  for our 2013  31 IB  in early October 2013.  At that time the delivery estimate was early February.  We took delivery as soon as it was ready, April 29 2014.    Expect delays.  And yes, for the quality, it was worth the wait.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #14
Just an FYI.  In case you are considering initially towing your jeep, Ford does not recommend towing for the first 1500 miles.
Ross Taylor
2017 MB

Reply #15
I agree with Ross' comment on the towing.  Don't tow for the 1st 1,500 miles.  We drove Bossa Nova back to Florida without a toad and managed things with no problem.  We had purchased a 2017 Sonic as a lightweight toad and when we got back had the Blue Ox baseplate installed, a drop hitch and we went with an SMI braking system installed under the hood.  All we have to do is flip a switch, pull the DLIS fuse, put her in neutral in ACC mode and we're off.  Our's is also Blue and White with a white Sonic.  Looks great and rides even better.  8)  8) 

Reply #16
Re: pull the DLSI fuse:  There is an aftermarket cutout switch that replaces (actually moves) the fuse. I have one wired next to the SMI control under the dash.

8-)
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke

Reply #17
'Re: pull the DLSI fuse:'

Pardon my ignorance (nothing new) but just what the heck is a DLSI fuse?

When towing my '08 CRV with the SMI aux brake system I do NOT have to pull any fuses. Why should you?   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #18
Sorry, it is a DLIS fuse: Discrete Logic Ignition Switch fuse; 2A.  As every car is different, and even models from year to year may change from being towable to not towable, I am guessing your Honda does not have the same requirements to be towed as my Sonic.  To tow a 2017 Sonic (except for an RS Model, which cannot be dinghy towed), you must pull the DLIS fuse (or have a bypass switch installed to deactivate the fuse), turn the ignition key to ACC/ACCESSORY and shift the automatic transmission into neutral.   It prevents the battery from being run down.  You know when you have the key in the ignition and you open the door and the car starts its ding, ding, ding to remind you to pull the key, etc.?  On the Sonic, if that sucker is dinging, once you pull the DLIS fuse, it stops whining.  I'm sure it controls other non-essential systems that may run down the battery while being towed.  Hope this clears it up. 8)  8)    

Reply #19
When an after-market cutoff switch, the fuse is plugged into a wiring harness that is then plugged into the panel where the fuse would reside.  When the switch is in the "on" position, the harness is "hot" and the fuse is in use.  When switched "off", the harness cuts off the connection with the fuse box.  I have one, but it was acting up when I started towing; we'll have it in place for the next trip.  8)  8)

Reply #20
" It prevents the battery from being run down."

Okay David, now I'm up to speed. I admit I know little to nothing about the more recent vintage of towables.

I had the battery discharge effect early on when I was towing an '02 Honda Civic. Don't know how many times I had to ask for a jump start, even a couple of times utilizing the LD itself.  :(

Then my service tech put me onto something... he ran a fused charge line from the coach to the toad (utilizing a spare line in the umbilical cable) and that cured my problem once and for all. When I up graded to the '08 CRV he also installed a charge line in that as well.

Now I do the pre-shift starting at 1st gear and progressively moving to Aux, throw the SMI switch to 'on', ignore the beeping, lock the door and drive away.  ;D
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #21
The charge line sounds like a good idea, Steve.  The first couple of times I towed the Sonic, I was getting a dead battery after 2 hours.  I ended up buying a portable charger to jump it.  I thought, this is crazy! I must be doing something wrong.  Turned out there were four positions on the key: Stop, ACC, Run & Start.  I thought there were 3, so I was turning the key to Run instead of ACC.  When I finally figured that out, I was able to tow the car without running down that battery.  Live and learn.

Reply #22
I had the charge line put it when they built the rig.   It wasn't perfect.   Due to learning curves and One DEE Ten Tee errors
the CRV battery was DOA on a number of occasions.  With the key in RUN,  the Daytime Running Lights (DRL) stayed on and the odometer kicked over.

Hill AFB outside of Salt Lake is named for a highly experienced test pilot who forgot a step one day and drove off the end of the runway with a prototype B-17.   One outcome of that was the military started using checklists.    Much later, the medical world caught on and started using them.    That led to an immediate and significant reduction in surgical errors (and why your surgeon marks and initials the appendage to be worked on).   Following that bit of wisdom,  this is the laminated checklist attached to the CRV's dummy key used in towing:

CRV TOW CHECKLIST
Check Transmission Fluid
Set Parking Brake
Start engine, depress brake
Move shifter thru all gears
Shift to D, run 30 seconds
Shift to N , run 30 minutes
Turn Engine off. Replace running key with dummy key.
If not connected, connect to tow vehicle.
Shift to N
Release parking brake
Leave Key in ACC position, ensure steering wheel is not locked.
Set DRL switch to OFF
Set Stay-in-Play (SIP) switch to ON
Tighten Brake Sensitivity Knob
Verify (SIP) brake sensor operating
Log checklist as verified.

The only problems I've had is when I didn't read the d******d list.

I had the Honda dealer cut a dummy key so the car wouldn't be drive-able.  You have to manually lock the doors with the dummy key is in the ignition (Honda's effort to dummy-proof the CRV).
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke

Reply #23
I had the Honda dealer cut a dummy key so the car wouldn't be drive-able.

Joel

So, guessing here, with this 'dummy' key you can place the ignition in 'Acc' position but it (the dummy) cannot be used to start the car?  Do I understand that correctly?

My memory does not tell me how I came to have two functional keys but I do! When I have one key in the ignition set to 'Acc' I then use the other key to manually lock the doors. In order to gain access to the car one would have to break some glass. And, once that was accomplished they would have to defeat the lock(s) on the tow bar.  :o
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #24
One note of caution on using a "dummy key" when towing a car.  On my 2017 Jeep Wrangler, any attempt to start the engine with the improper key (this specifically includes a non coded key) will result in lock up of the ignition system.  At that point, only a factory authorized technician can unlock the system.  Our local Lowes has paid a $1,000 recovery fee twice because they cut a key for a Jeep without programming it and the owners mistakenly tried to start the engine with that key.  I don't think this applies to the older CR-Vs but it probably applies to several newer vehicles.

Monti