Skip to main content
Topic: Roof Sealing Tomorrow (Read 305 times) previous topic - next topic
Roof Sealing Tomorrow
I've read everything I can find on the topic of using Eternabond to seal the roof on my '06 RB. I have one remaining question: what to do at the refrig vent and the black tank vent. My understanding is that the Eternaabond tape has to span the factory sealing compound to allow the tape to stick. I can get the tape to stick on one side of the factory compound adjacent to the vents, but because the vents have factory sealing compound, I'm not sure how to get the other side of the tape to stick. How are others addressing these vent areas? Im using 6" Eternabond. Thanks, Mike

Re: Roof Sealing Tomorrow
Reply #1
I trim the Eternabond tape around the vents.
The existing sealant then either cleaned well or cut away and replaced with fresh polyurethane sealant.
My preferred sealant is 3M 5200 Fast Cure.

Before laying the tape down, mark a line, along each edge of the roof, showing where one edge of the tape should be placed.
I snap a chalk line along the outside edge.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
I've read everything I can find on the topic of using Eternabond to seal the roof on my '06 RB.

Hello Mike.  I hope you'll be able to post an account of this important project.  We're about 2 years away from needing to do our roof and I'm hopeful Margee and I will have the energy to do that job.  So it's really helpful when others do it themselves and report on it.  Hope it goes smoothly for you.

Reply #3
Thanks Larry. I'll trim it to fit up against the two vents where they come through the roof. The existing sealant for the vents runs into the existing side seam sealant. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Mike

Reply #4
Hello Mike.  I hope you'll be able to post an account of this important project.  We're about 2 years away from needing to do our roof and I'm hopeful Margee and I will have the energy to do that job.  So it's really helpful when others do it themselves and report on it.  Hope it goes smoothly for you.
Well, I’m living proof that anyone can do it, as long as you have a “good” roll of Eternabond. My first shot doing it was with the ultra capable hands and guidance of Larry Wade, using a 6” wide roll I had purchased thru the internet. After manhandling about 8’ of the stuff, we gave up. Larry said he had never seen a roll of Eternabond that bad. It was failing to cleanly release its backing, making it impossible to lay down a smooth strip. Even this old (72 today, thank you) Navy guy learned a few words that day! 😁
A couple of months later, emboldened by at least having observed Larry’s technique, and armed with a new 4” roll (easier to work with, and provided adequate overlap coverage), I tried it on my own and did a creditable job. Much easier application and a smooth finish on the tape. It’s been on about a year now, and showing no wear. I don’t rate my mechanical skills very highly so, as I said above, if I can, anyone can. Go for it!  — Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #5
I know a great many of us, myself included (thanks, Larry), have sealed our LD roofs with Eternabond!

Still I think I should put the word out there that if it is true for you, do not expect the Mothership to do any work in that area.

I recently had all of my vents resealed at the factory and was told that they would do the work if it did not include the areas previously sealed with Eternabond.   :-[
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #6
Mike,
This is a fairly simple job. The most important is to make sure everything is clean, clean and clean. Eternabond will seem to stick to anything (including you) but if you test a dirty area, it easily will come up. I would recommend removing the sealant where the eternabond will meet and clean well. Cut the eternabond around any necessary protrusions and after rolled, seal with polyurethane sealant.
I am positive you will produce a top notch job!
Paul
1992 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath - Red and Cream