Skip to main content
Topic: State Gasoline Tax (Read 163 times) previous topic - next topic
State Gasoline Tax
With that exciting news that California is increasing taxes on gasoline, I thought I'd like to know more about how other States compare.   A quick glance at State Gasoline Tax Rates in 2017 - Tax Foundation shows Pennsylvania and Washington State lead the pack.   California ranks #7 before today so it will probably improve it's ranking.  Our gasoline tax in the Republic of Texas is a lowly #43.  The Great State of Alaska is last at #50.   Gas Buddy lists the average price of gasoline by State at http://www.washingtongasprices.com/Prices_Nationally.aspx .  The gas tax and price per gallon doesn't collate as one might think.  Interesting stuff.

Re: State Gasoline Tax
Reply #1
IMO, it's about time the user tax was increased.
Inflation has made the existing road tax less valuable while cars get much better mileage than the vehicles of the past, reducing the taxes, per mile, paid.
California's roads sure need the work.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Ditto everything Larry said & applied to Missouri--we have the 7th largest road system in the country with a total of 33,856 miles of roadway within the state (10,400 bridges on the state system, with sixty percent beyond their original intended life), but our funding comes in at 47th in the nation.  We've just been lucky that there's not been a disaster like the 2007 I-35 bridge collapse in Minnesota; my dad once lost several head of cattle when a rural bridge collapsed under the truck he'd hired to transport from the sale barn to the farm, & farm equipment just keeps getting bigger/heavier.

I-70 between Kansas City & St. Louis is terrible, but the legislature stubbornly refuses to raise the gas tax (only $.17).  Fourlaning US 36 between St. Joseph & Hannibal was completed in the early 2000s & is good, but getting significantly more traffic, which ups the maintenance expenses (it turns into I-72 when it crosses the Mississippi at Hannibal & is part of the Chicago-Kansas City Expressway).  With the I-70 corridor wanting to maintain its primacy in the state there is discussion continually floated about total rebuild & expansion to six lanes each way across the entire state (with two dedicated truck lanes in each direction), but of course $$$ is the issue since the state constitution precludes any tax increase without a public vote & the want-something-for-nothing party dominates Missouri. 

Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #3
Being from Washington with the second highest gas tax in the country according to the link. I can say gas tax doesn't equal better roads. Our roads are terrible. 
Lynn and Lori

Reply #4
As I have said talking tax policy  across many States is a quicksand problem.    Each State and Local taxes differently.    Some States have user taxes and other have tax and toss into a large bag taxes.   When may be true in your State has no application in another State. 

Oregon is a user tax State.   At one point the gas taxes were no enough to cover the repair and upkeep of the bridges on I-5.   The trucking industry keep the fuel tax low so they could increase their bottom line.    Guess what happened -- yup the State of Oregon had to shut down the bridges on I-5 to any truck that was more then 25,000 pds.     Funny thing happens when the heavy trucks had to go over 200 miles out of their way.     Gas tax was increased a few cents to cover repair and upkeep. 

When is happening now is gas milage has gotten so good the State is not collecting enough money again.   I'm not a fan of paying more taxes but if I want good roads they is only one way to get them --- tax increase for the users of that service.     Bottom line I'll pay for better roads in taxes or for repair of my vehicle from bad roads. 
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King