Skip to main content
Topic: How Old is Too Old (Read 857 times) previous topic - next topic
How Old is Too Old
I'm wondering how old is too old?  I've researched Class C RVs and determined that LD is probably the best.  No way can I afford a new one.  Assuming everything is well cared for, I'd be interested to hear thoughts about the realistic life expectancy.  If I buy one that's 15 years old, that's been taken care of, could it last another 10-15 years?  I know things would have to be replaced at times and repairs and maintenance would need to be done but would I be investing in a money pit? I'm interested in your stories as well about how long you've personally kept your LDs.  Thanks. :)

Re: How Old is Too Old
Reply #1
I'm wondering how old is too old?  I've researched Class C RVs and determined that LD is probably the best.  No way can I afford a new one.  Assuming everything is well cared for, I'd be interested to hear thoughts about the realistic life expectancy.  If I buy one that's 15 years old, that's been taken care of, could it last another 10-15 years?  I know things would have to be replaced at times and repairs and maintenance would need to be done but would I be investing in a money pit? I'm interested in your stories as well about how long you've personally kept your LDs.  Thanks. :)
If taken care of and enough money and/or times invested, an LD can last for decades.
A 15 year old LD will have needed a lot of maintenance over the years to be in perfect condition, there are a few of them out there but don't expect it to be perfect just because it's a LD.
Beside the coach needing constant maintenance, the chassis also wears out. Remember you are buying a truck as well as a house.
Transmissions cost $5-6000, rebuilt engines are even more.
Full brake jobs are in the $2000+ range.
Factory roof resealing $2000+ . Set of six tires- $1500+.
Any mechanical issue will cost more to repair, just due to it being an RV.

Is it practical to buy a 15 years old LD and keep it for another 15 years? Well maybe but you will need a big pocketbook or the ability to do the repairs and maintenance yourself. A barn to keep it in would be helpful too.

Get rid of the idea that used RVs are a way to get into the game without spending much money.
My best suggestion to have whatever you want to buy fully inspected by a RV Tech and a good mechanic.
Have several thousand dollars in reserve to take care of unexpected problems.
We have seen many, here on the forum, who have bought an old LD only to find 'hidden' defects that cost more tp repair than what the RV is worth.

Happy hunting
Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
There are too many variables to provide simple answers to your questions and/or to determine a 'realistic life expectancy' of a Lazy Daze. I can relate my experience, but it may not (likely will not) reflect another's!

My LD is a 2003 TK, bought new; it has not been 'lived in' for more than a 2-3 months at a time (I'm not a fulltimer), currently has traveled 106k miles over a broad variety of roads and weather conditions (but never on salted roads), has never towed, and has been consistently and carefully maintained (well past the services on the Ford maintenance schedule). It's in very good shape, inside and out, and, at its present rate of maintenance, I expect the engine, systems, and coach to continue to be reliable well past the time I'm able to travel, and I intend to keep it (and keep shelling out $!) until that time comes.

Is it a 'money pit'? Of course it is. Is it an 'investment'? Of course it is not, unless one qualifies the term to mean an 'investment' in the pleasure of a chosen life and travel style.  Maintenance and repairs and upgrades can be less expensive if one is able to do some or all of the work him/herself, but, for many of us, that's not the case; we need to rely on a tech and/or a mechanic for those services, and parts and labor are pricey. And, obviously, if one wants to travel (and, what's the point if one doesn't!?  ;) ), fuel costs have to be factored into the outlay.

I have no idea where the 'tipping point' is on the potential longevity of a Lazy Daze; I've seen a few 20+ year old rigs that were in good shape, leak-free, and very road worthy, and I've seen a few 10-year-old LDs that were pretty beat up, and hanging together due only to the high initial build quality.  You likely get the drift that timely, diligent maintenance that usually requires parting with considerable amounts of cash on a regular basis are key to the longevity of any vehicle, and an LD is no exception.

What is your maximum price point for purchase? How much can you set aside for the inevitable (and immediately needed) repairs, replacements, and upgrades? (These two factors will go a long way in determining the age of the rig you can afford, and likely the mileage numbers and model, too.) How do you intend to use a Lazy Daze? Fulltiming? Long trips? Weekends? How and where and when do you want to travel? How do you intend to 'camp', e.g., RV parks with hookups, public campgrounds with and without hookups, boondocking? Other? How many people (and pets) will the rig have to accommodate?  What are your maintenance skill sets? Do you know what to look for to evaluate the quality and condition of the engine, systems, appliances, 'integrity' of a 'pre-loved' rig? Are you prepared to travel to check out a potential good deal? These are only some of the questions that one needs to ask oneself before beginning the search in earnest.

This assessment might sound a bit harsh, but I believe that it's realistic; RVing is a great way to travel, but it's not cheap, and a poorly maintained vehicle will have a limited life span. I hope you can find a solid, well-maintained, leak-free LD that doesn't need a lot of repair or replacements and that will offer you the opportunity to enjoy the lifestyle. Good luck in your search.

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Ours is 26 years old. We are the third owners. It has spent most, but not all of it’s years under cover, was not used to full time, but has towed a bit. It had 36000 miles when we bought it three years ago for $9000. Though low mileage it was used regularly on very short trips.

We like it as a project and an RV, so we get enjoyment when traveling and when at home.  We have spent more than the purchase price fixing and upgrading it. I can’t say where the fixes end and improvements begin, except for the time we had to tear apart the rear end, and a couple other places to fix the rotting frame, which to me was fun. The repair work on the Ford part, so far, is limited to a new fuel pump. The rest of the chassis work was upgrades that were not strictly necessary.

If I bought a new RV, it would be a Class C, and a Lazy Daze. And less than 10 years old.  I doubt I would think of a new one.  But we don’t even think about a different one, because the old rig is getting to be just what we want, warts and all.

It helps to understand how you will use your RV.

With our 26.5 Midbath we make long trips circumnavigating the lower 48 for 4 - 8 months, driving 2-300 miles at a time, then camping in a site for 1-3 weeks, or make several overnight stops along a route we don’t want to tarry along (looking at YOU I-5).  We rarely leave a site once we arrive for a long stay.  In this case we don’t put a lot of demands on the old coach, so a new one may be overkill.

We also make cross country trips as fas as we can, driving 12 hour days, then need to be mobile when we arrive. A class B van conversion is our choice for this.

We used to go to a site for a minimum of a few weeks, then drive to and from local attractions, hunting, or work. A travel trailer was ideal.

Before that we made weekend trips as far into the back country as we could, a truck camper worked well. 
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #4
Thanks so much for all the thoughtful replies!  I need to rethink my situation and probably save more money and get something newer.

Reply #5
I think you're making the right choice.

Older Lazy Daze hold up better than similarly-abused motorhomes, but they're not bulletproof. Mine is going on 35 years old, and it's seen some hard miles during those years. The previous owners took care of it and did the maintenance and repairs, but it's got its share of dings and scrapes from years as a hunting rig.

To get it where we want it to be is a major, ongoing project. Each little alteration or improvement makes it more "ours". Some things are less expensive than others, but none of it is cheap. However, every day I step into the RV I can immediately lay hands on something anywhere in the vehicle and say, "I did that." Some things are worth more than money to me. I consider wrenching on the vehicle part of the fun of ownership. Your mileage may vary.

I hope to get 5-10 years out of mine before we pass it on. To be honest, the only reason we'd sell it would be to get a bigger one. The wife finds the bathroom in the 20' a bit... cramped. As our kids get older, our needs will change.

That said, I'm pretty happy with what we have now.
1983 20'

Reply #6
Vicki,

I'm a rookie in my knowledge and experience compared to most of the folks that have already commented on your inquiry. But, I'll throw in my personal experience for another slightly different perspective and hopefully some useful information. 

I was fortunate to have bought a very well-cared for 2003 Lazy Daze in early 2014 with 54,000 miles on it. Because I live in Arkansas, far from where most Lazy Daze 'live', the floor plan I wanted, and I wouldn't buy a rig sight unseen, it took more than a year before I found my rig. My initial investment, for an 11 year old rig at the time, was one third of the price of a new, similar model today. As a wise Lazy Daze owner advised me, "if you find a good used Lazy Daze, you can fix a lot of things, buy a lot of gas, and spend a lot of nights camping with the savings". He was right. I budgeted to spend $3000\year for maintenance, tires, brakes, a failed appliance, insurance, taxes, etc. In March of 2018, I'll have owned it four years, so far without any serious problems. Including what I expect to spend for maintenance between now and then, I'll have spent a little over $8000.00 on all maintenance, insurance, etc. I don't work on the truck\chassis other than oil changes, replace a battery, general maintenance. The RV systems, water, electrical, and appliances I can work on myself. I've outfitted it to suit me, made several arguably unnecessary improvements I wanted to do either for convenience, efficiency, safety, or simply for my pleasure. That amounts to another $4100.00.  So, including accessories and improvements, I have spent what I budgeted for on average. Since I'm pretty well finished with improvements now, that number should go down assuming no major problems.

I don't full time right now. My trips are usually a couple of weeks at a time, several a year. I've put 30,000 miles on it, and have enjoyed traveling and camping in it a great deal. It rolls down I-40 easily, always below the speed limit, without any rattles (which anyone who's traveled that road knows is impressive), and feels like I could be driving and enjoying it for many more years. What encompasses a "money pit" depends on what one considers that to be. I don't consider my Lazy Daze a money pit. An RV is a complicated piece of equipment, both a truck and a home as others have said. Does it require regular maintenance and money to keep it well cared for and reliable when one wants to get in and go? Yes indeed. If one isn't prepared to spend that money, or simply doesn't have it, then purchasing an RV is probably not a good idea. On the other hand, if you follow the good advice already offered on the forum with regard to being well informed about what to look for (and avoid), or have someone you trust who is, do your research and are willing to be patient, it could be a wonderful thing. The fact that I can throw a few things in mine and get on the road any time I want or can is priceless to me!
Bill
2003 -- 23' FL

Reply #7
I believe a lot comes down to each individual unit....condition, maintenance, or simply has it been loved.
The fact is that you will need to set aside for maintenance (on any year)....and it is not cheap so it must be part of your lifestyle.
In owning a Lazy Daze, you must love the unit as much as you do the camping and traveling because they go hand in hand, otherwise it will become a burden.
Here is our story:
We originally had a 1994 TK that we purchased from the original owner approx. 5 years ago. It had been very well taken care of and even though it was older, it just needed standard maintenance and tires when we owned it. We traveled quite often and have many memories. We loved that coach (and sometimes wish we had kept it), but our two sons were too young at the time.
This time around (once our boys were ready) we started looking a year ago but did not get serious until about six months ago. We were very particular about condition, model years, floor plan layout, and color (my wife new exactly what she wanted).
We found (not advertised) a 2002 MB on the East Coast that when I talked with the owner sold me on condition and history so I immediately drove out. Once I saw it in person, of course I had to purchase and thought all was well.
Three weeks after I brought her home, my wife came across exactly what we had been looking for....a red and cream RB. It is a 1992 that is in impeccable condition with all history as well so what is one to do? Back to the East Coast I went.
Maybe I am crazy....but this is quite fun!
Anyhow, I love to tinker so age does not bother me and we like "vintage" (we sell architectural antiques for a living).
Again, I think it comes down to condition and how well it has been taken care of. I would take our original 94, the 02 or the 92 anywhere without hesitation today but that is just me. They will all need maintenance but that is just part of the lifestyle.
Unfortunately, I am sure that you can find newer units that need much more than a well taken care of older one so be an educated buyer no matter the year.
Good Luck with the search, Paul 
1992 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath - Red and Cream

Reply #8
We live in the land of older Lazy Daze RVs down here by the beach. All of them are shorties (20-24'). They are everywhere, some even from the late 70s. Most are in good condition, a few have been restored. If they haven't leaked too badly and aren't rotting away, older LDs can actually become "vintage" ie cool.

Like Larry said, there's no cheap way of getting into this game. A newer rig will rapidly drop in depreciation. An older rig will ring up expenses. Somewhere there's a cross-over point, but I'm not sure where it is. Over a 5 year period, a rough guess would be $10-15k, That is, buy something for $10k, expect to put in another $10k*. Or, buy something for $30k, and it might be worth $20k when you go to sell it.

* What happens with older rigs are items that you would never probably encounter with a regular passenger car. For example, when was the last time you flushed & replaced brake line hoses on your daily driver? Probably never. But, with an RV, time/wear take a toll.

An RV can break down, not run, have engine problems; those are survivable. But you never want the sucker to have a blow out, have brakes fail, have a suspension part break, or have anything that in anyway could possibly impact your control of the vehicle while under way. So, that stuff adds up.

Still, if you found a 90s 22-24', and you had a good understanding of the costs & maintenance going it, LDs are a real joy. They are so perfectly well thought out, that even if you're stuck inside, it doesn't feel like a cheap fiberglass box. Rather, the big windows, nice appointments, etc all make it seem like a very comfortable 'cabin'.

Reply #9
Except for the dedicated hobbyist, I would recommend a 1990 cutoff for Fords and 1991 for the 22' Chevy models,
You absolutely want the one piece front cap, which appeared in 1990.
I would want electronic fuel injection and a overdrive transmission. Ford got them in 1990, Chevy in 1991.
Changes by year

Larry
Larry

Reply #10
Larry, I totally agree.
Even I would go no older than the 1990 for the Ford (I am partial to Ford) even though my wife and I appreciate antique and vintage. Before this becomes too old to be reliable due to the overall chassis components.
Paul
1992 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath - Red and Cream

Reply #11
Bought our 94 RB 3 summers and 15k miles ago.  It only had 54k miles on it, now at 69k. We camp in it about 3 months total per year. Have spent 5k in maintenance/repairs, mostly on tires, a fridge, and some brake work. Love it and the life - totally worth the cost! I enjoy doing minor repairs to the House as well. Pretty easy and fun with the help of this site!

At this rate we hope to get another 10 years, and still pass it on with some life left in it for the next owners. I think there are some good values in the '90's rigs. Be patient and cautious and  thorough and you can get "lucky."

BTW purchase price was $13k + $5k spent = $18K spent so far.   Rig is currently worth perhaps $12k.   The epic journeys we've had to Alaska, etc, and the people we've met: $priceless...

Also, if we were closer to a fulltiming situation, that's when we would go much newer rig to get better insulation, upgrades, etc.   Till then we do like not worrying about occasional scratches and such on the older rig as we brush past bushes and such to get to our favorite boondocking paradise(s).
Pete
1994 RB

Reply #12
Our LD is a '93 Chevy 22' MP. It's got the single end-cap, EFI 454 and 4L80E OD transmission.

We bought it 5 years ago on sort of a whim since it was relatively cheap. We wanted something to take to the beach & local trips, but nothing too major. Then, like now, we still fly on many/most trips - either domestic or int'l - so RVing isn't our primary focus.

That being said, almost everyone is familiar with the compulsion to quickly get rid of something that doesn't work. But how often do you experience - firsthand or hear about - deciding to keep something as you discover it not only works great, but is a unique and worthy "good deal"?

That's my situation; I was a former 'car guy' who hadn't worked on/played with cars in decades. The more I looked into our LD (after we had purchased it), the more I realized we had struck gold. First, I had no idea about the pre-90 cab window leakers; ours has the end-cap. I knew we had a good engine, but didn't realize the majority of Chevy vans came with a 350.

Not only do we have an overpowering engine (I can pass regular passenger cars going up the Cajon pass), but it has the EFI. Then, to cap off everything else, it has this great OD tranny perfectly matched to the torque curve. Add in low miles, original owner, original paint in great condition, everything in absolutely stock condition, and well, I decided it wouldn't hurt to drop some money on it.

$12k later, our rig is practically brand new from the ground up. I don't think there's anything I haven't replaced/improved from tires, brakes, suspension, steering, hoses, pumps, sensors, heating/ac, you name it, everything is new.

Because we use the RV so infrequently (12k miles in 5 years), we were debating on whether or not to sell it. We finally decided that for the cost of storage ($2k/yr), it's worth having around. When we do use it, it's a real joy. We know we couldn't find hotel rooms for under $2k/year in the places we like to go - hell, good rooms in premier spots (eg NP lodges like the Ahwahnee in Yosemite) are around $500/night - so right there it's a good deal.

So, I dutifully head to the storage yard every two weeks and run it for 30-45 minutes. Maybe once a month bring it home, give it a wash, charge everything, run everything (especially propane), for 2-3 days, then drive it back. At this point, we're planning on keeping it another 5 years. If everything works out, maybe our son or another family member might like it. It's nearing the 'vintage' stage where it's just cool to have it.

Reply #13
I really appreciate all the feed back!!  Thank you.

Reply #14
As things age, maintenance issues crop up in anything.
Consider the maintenance costs you have incurred for the occupant of the drivers seat.
Extrapolate from there.  ;)

Our '13 31 IB experienced a terminal failure of the passenger seat occupant recently.
It is the journey, not the destination or expense.
:(
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #15
As things age, maintenance issues crop up in anything.
Consider the maintenance costs you have incurred for the occupant of the drivers seat.
Extrapolate from there.  ;)

Our '13 31 IB experienced a terminal failure of the passenger seat occupant recently.
It is the journey, not the destination or expense.
:(
I'm a little slow, did the passenger die?
If so, please accept my condolences .

Larry
Larry

Reply #16
Our LD is a '93 Chevy 22' MP. It's got the single end-cap, EFI 454 and 4L80E OD transmission.
A big block V8 is a rare find, most have the anemic 350 V8.
The 4L80E is a great transmission.
That's a keeper.

Larry
Larry

Reply #17
Hi,

Glad I found this forum! I've been looking for a used 22" foot RV. It is going to be used primarily for a local mobile office, so ability to travel long distances would be nice, but not necessary.  I just came across a 1982 LD  with 78k miles.  Supposedly second owner that purchased from original owner last year. OF course they claim no leaks, etc. 
On the one hand, I'm very leery of purchasing any vehicle this old, especially my first RV. ON the other hand, the price is low compared to newer, less attractive RVs of same length and I really like the way it looks- it's retro, the interior has been updated to vinyl floors and there is no ugly RV upholstery.  It's a "Chevy 30" base.

Thoughts? Is a 1982 just too old to consider?

Thanks!
1991 22' LD Multi-Plan

Reply #18

Glad I found this forum! I've been looking for a used 22" foot RV. It is going to be used primarily for a local mobile office, so ability to travel long distances would be nice, but not necessary.  I just came across a 1982 LD  with 78k miles.  Supposedly second owner that purchased from original owner last year. OF course they claim no leaks, etc. 
IMO, it is.  I consider rigs this old to be hobbyist machines.
The exception would be if you are a good mechanic and love to play with old stuff for hours and hours.
It has the multi-piece front cap which eventually WILL leak, along with the front window. Rotted front cabover areas is very common in older LDs,
Carefully check the inside front corners of the cabover and under that mattress for signs and smells of rot.
It has a multi piece roof, which is prone to leaking due to the many seams. Newer LDs have a one piece roof.
The bottom and exterior storage boxes of older LDs are made of exposed plywood. The exterior boxes often rot out and come apart.
Newer LDs have the exposed bottom covered with sheet metal and the storage boxes made of a HD blown plastic.
Older LDs windows were not sealed as well as newer ones, leading to wall rot, so check carefully under every window for soft spots, the kiss of death.

It's going to be tough to find a qualified mechanic to work on it due to so many of its parts being outdated or obsolete.
It has the anemic  350 V8, (165-HP- wow!)  which has a carburetor, a device very few modern mechanics are familiar with.
Carburetor parts are had to find.
Most of the early LDs with 350 V8s had their engines replaced before 100,000 miles, Our 1983 LD engine needs major work at 80,000 miles.
It has a 3 speed transmission, which means the engine runs a much higher RPM, when cruising, leading to faster wear and more noise.
The other major issue they have is a marginal cooling system, many of the 350 V8s burned up. The cooling system needs to be in top shape for summer travel.

Unless all six wheel rims have be change to a modern wheel, the tires are the old 16.5' diameter, a size that is made by very few companies anymore.  You will be stuck with off brand tires, if they are available at all.

As I said earlier in this thread, 1990-1991 is my cutoff date.

Larry

Larry

Reply #19
Hi,

On the one hand, I'm very leery of purchasing any vehicle this old, especially my first RV. ON the other hand, the price is low compared to newer, less attractive RVs of same length and I really like the way it looks- it's retro, the interior has been updated to vinyl floors and there is no ugly RV upholstery.  It's a "Chevy 30" base.

A lot depends on what you want, how well it was maintained, the region you live in, and how willing you are to skin your knuckles maintaining the thing.

My 1983 20' is based on the G30 chassis. It does well enough on the highways around here, but then again I'm not in any sort of hurry when I drive it- that's sorta the point. It is a bit loud, especially since I removed the orange shag rug from the cab, but I'm slowly adding more sound insulation and replacing seals to lower the decibel levels. Maintenance is the same as on any 35 year old vehicle. Parts wear out, seals fail... it's just part of the game. To be honest, I find working on the older vehicles easier, because there's only so many things that can go wrong. With the integration of systems common on modern vehicles, sometimes it isn't easy to narrow down a fault in the field. The nice thing about the Chevy 350 is that they're everywhere. If you're handy and have a good relationship with a decent mechanic for everything above your head, you can probably have a reliable vehicle. While I probably wouldn't full-time in one of that vintage because of the extra maintenance required, I do appreciate the simplicity.

From what I've seen, the Lazy Daze house is just put together better than RVs of a similar vintage. If it stayed relatively well sealed over the years, it should be fine. I taped all of my roof seams with 4" and 6" Eternabond. I replaced my non-functional swamp cooler with a regular vent, as cooling isn't a problem up here. I removed a rooftop box, the TV antenna, and pretty much everything else I could up there before I sealed it to remove as much weight as possible. This sprint I'll be re-setting the windows with new seals, even though I have yet to see any evidence of leaks. I'm replacing the rear bumper with an aluminum creation of mine to add extra cargo carrying ability yet shed some weight. In the process I'm removing the ability to tow with the vehicle, but with the age of the vehicle I'm not interested in towing anyway. It's a series of projects, big and small. If I was paying someone else to do the work, it wouldn't be worth it. As I am enjoying myself and it's been a positive for my family, it's more than worth it. The money and time I put into my older model likely would have probably bought me a much newer one in a place like California, but they aren't common in my market- at all. I took what I could get and am making it what I want it to be.

Only you can make the decision, based on your particular resources, capabilities, needs, and desires. Go in with your eyes open, and be prepared to roll up your sleeves and open your wallet.
1983 20'

Reply #20
For us the cutoff point was 2000. That’s because we were looking for a MB only. And that’s the year they went to the higher horsepower V10. Also the year they gave a little more driver leg room. Condition of the coach was more important then low miles. I actually prefer a unit that hasn’t sat for long periods of time.
Lynn and Lori

Reply #21
Thanks to those that replied for the reality check. It seemed a bit old, but wasn't sure. And I'm not mechanically inclined or interested in becoming so. I can't even keep up with car maintenance. 
I'm still looking for a 22' foot RV for local use, and it is slim pickings. Seems people either way overvalue their vehicles or (in the case of a couple RVs I've looked at), have not even the slightest idea of what constitutes a problem.  One guy had just had the transmission overhauled, but didn't seem to realize that the holes in the shell and obvious water damage in the interior were going to make selling difficult.  He honestly was clueless.  I felt kind of bad for him. Both the clueless sellers had bought their RVs for temporary use (Burning Man/ summer tour up the coast). But don't people do a little research before dropping thousands of $$?
1991 22' LD Multi-Plan

Reply #22
"But don't people do a little research before dropping thousands of $$?"
---
Not necessarily.  :o 
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #23
People rarely do sufficient research. The research I did was barely sufficient. My tolerance for old and crusty greatly exceeds my wife’s, so she was the baseline. This was not a bad thing. As I’m discovering, RVs are rarely made well these days and regular maintenance is the only way to keep even the best of them from turning into rotting hulks. Some people just don’t do the maintenance or start off with an inferior product. Many just can’t accept that the thing they paid $80K for years ago is now valued at less than $5K.
A RV (like a boat) is a romantic concept to most people, but the reality is they are expensive and time consuming assets.
1983 20'