Skip to main content
Topic: Engine battery recommendation? (Read 194 times) previous topic - next topic
Engine battery recommendation?
My engine battery will need replacement soon. Any recommendations on a replacement or are they all the same? Thanks in advance.
2006 RB

Re: Engine battery recommendation?
Reply #1
My understanding is that all of these lead acid vehicle types come out of a small number of manufacturing plants.  Consumer Reports does battery testing.  Generally, if you pay more you get more in terms of capacity and warranty.  Check any sales along with Cosco and Walmart.  I'm sure many here have their favorites.   Replacement on a regular basis rather then trying to squeeze out one more year is a good idea.      Frank
plan B - 2023 Travato

Reply #2
I have had good luck with Interstate batteries.
Lynn and Lori

Reply #3
Several choices of Group 65 engine batteries, including AGMs and 'water-able' celled types. Depending on where one lives and if the motorhome is used in colder weather, I suggest installing a battery with a high CCA rating; the Sears Platinum DieHard (no longer available, but the 'Gold' is) in my rig is rated at 900 CCA. The engine in my 2003 has always started 'first kick', even in below-freezing weather.

Prices for Group 65 starting batteries vary, but cheaping out rarely works out well. I suggest checking the Ford manual for the engine battery specs, including the CCA and the 'RC', i.e. 'reserve capacity' numbers.  If in doubt, just get the appropriate MotorCraft engine battery from the Ford dealer; I think these are made by Johnson Controls. And, check the manufacturing date on the battery; this is usually printed on the side of the battery. Batteries, like tires, can sit on shelves for a long time before being sold; get the freshest battery available. 
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Up until last year, I ran  Sears Die Hard Platinum AGMs in both the LD and Jeep.
Sears discontinued carrying the Die Hard PlatinumAGM and when the LD needed a battery, I bought one at Costco.
It an Interstate battery, not the best battery manufacturer but it was inexpensive and warranty returns are a snap at Costco and are available all around the country.
I'm not worried about the battery dying, our LD has a built in jumper circuit that will start the engine from the coach battery.
We also carry a big lithium battery .
The Jeep is a different story, since it is regularly driven many miles off the paved road, a very dependable and powerful battery is need for both starting and for operating the 8000-lbs winch. Its present Die Hard is almost 6 years old and while it seems to still work fine, I know the capacity must be reduced by now.  It will soon receive a new AGM.

For most LD owners, I would endorse Joan's suggestion buy the best battery possible.
For a series 65 battery, used in our LDs, the three top rated AGM batteries by Consumer's Reports are:
Interstate MT7-75DT AGM
Duralast Platinum 65-AGM
DieHard Advanced Gold 50765

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
I recently replaced the Die Hard Platinum that was dated 2010.
Would have liked to replace with same but as mentioned, discontinued.
Decided to just go to Costco and get the $92 one they had. I too can get the rig going other ways so
am not too concerned about it.
Jota
96 23.5 FL