Skip to main content
Topic: RV Quality (Read 882 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RV Quality
Reply #2
Finding this article that I wrote 10 years ago for RVers Online was a surprise (at my age, one often gets to re-discover things on a regular basis!), but I believe that the opinions expressed then are even more relevant today. YMMV, as always.

What all RV Purchasers Should Consider
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
Depressing in so many ways.

Getting your reservations 6+ months in advance is definitely upon us.
Ruby, the red 2004 26' RK hauling Dave and Kristine hither and yon

Reply #6
Just to further unsettle your minds. I talked with a dealer once about a new Winnebago. He was telling us about the drivers, their people, who were hitting 80 mph on the drive from the factory, to let me know how powerful the rig was. Also that the drivers had no problem when towing their vehicle behind the motor home over the passes.

After shuddering at their break-in hijinks we left.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #7
While Cyndy and I were shopping for an RV, we saw a Sprinter based motorhome with an OCCC sticker in the door showing less than 300lb. The salesman said it was a common typo. We left.

We looked at a new Winnebago View on a lot in San Diego and when I pushed the dinette table, it fell over as the support post for the table pulled the base mount right off the floor. The salesman said it was broken by the delivery driver, but they had fixed it. I looked carefully and saw that the dealership had driven a wood screw through the base and back in the same hole the previous one had pulled out of. We left.

We visited a dealership in San Marcos and looked at 26 foot Coachmen. One had a big wrinkle in the rubber roof. Another had an exterior 120 outlet hanging off the outside of the fiberglass skin because the little spot of glue holding it had come loose. We left.

Two summers ago, we spent two days looking at everything at the Pomona RV show and were so disappointed by the general lack of quality for very expensive RV's that we gave up.

We found our 2014 MB on Craigslist that same night and had it home two days later. I am impressed by how well constructed it is. We are camping in it in Flagstaff as I type this. We feel fortunate to have this rig.
HD
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #8
Preaching to the choir: During the 70s and 80s I read the RV mags religiously and knew someday I would buy an RV. I recall I kept seeing the ad for Lazy Daze in MotorHome magazine and was fascinated by the LD's never-changing retro look and the funky ad layout of the magazine. During all these years of yearning, I had always attended the annual RV show in KC, MO and never was impressed by what I saw, mainly because of poor quality issues. In the early 90s while on a business trip to the LA area, I made a pilgrimage to the LD factory and I immediately knew this was the RV I had to have. I couldn't believe how impressive the fit and finish was compared to all those other RVs I'd seen at the shows. And "the frosting on the cake" was that they weren't decorated to resemble a bordello. During the 90s, I stopped by the Mothership 4 or 5 times, always chatting with the seemingly curmudgeonly Ed Newton who unknowingly did his best by his demeanor to discourage anyone from buying an LD. (Actually, I found him to be a gentleman who was exceptionally proud of his product.) Finally, in 2001 I ordered our LD and have not regretted it since.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #9
While Cyndy and I were shopping for an RV, we saw a Sprinter based motorhome with an OCCC sticker in the door showing less than 300lb. The salesman said it was a common typo. We left.

Good call, Harold.  If only Homer was as discriminating!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr3YGsnyFc0
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #13
RVIA sells stickers to manufacturers and that's about all they do, apparently.

The more RVs built, the more RVIA makes from selling stickers. Judging from the workmanship that goes into most RVs, the RVIA sticker signifies nothing more than a receipt for the cost of the sticker. It's often the only thing on a new RV that isn't either defective or downright dangerous

I doubt that organization has any power or even interest to require any kind of standards. All they can do is offer newer better stickers.
fu
2015TK

Reply #15
Good call, Harold.  If only Homer was as discriminating!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr3YGsnyFc0

Here is what I think you saw. When this story came out this spring I said out loud, “Are you ****ing me?!?!”

Honestly, it HAS to be against the law to sell a motorhome that you literally can’t add two people to without being overweight. That Motorhome Magazine gives the weight issue a passing nod while gushing over the rig is criminal.

Sporty Size, Big Luxury: Coach House Platinum II 241XL | Motorhome Magazine
Ruby, the red 2004 26' RK hauling Dave and Kristine hither and yon

Reply #16
And "interesting" design features. The main TV is viewable only by the person in the front facing dinette seat, or by lying on the beds in the rear and craning your neck out into the aisle to peer around the cabinets. And the beds are ok "for all but six footers to use"?  Nice to be eliminated so easily from considering this purchase. Even nicer given the as-tested purchase price is nearly $179,000!!!!  But heck, after standard fluids, you DO get 370'pounds of payload. Hmmm, whom do we leave home?  -- Jon, luxuriating in our 2-foot shorter TK
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #17
And "the frosting on the cake" was that they weren't decorated to resemble a bordello.

Now Chris, would you please tell us what you know about decorations in those plush establishments?   ;)   :D
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #19
Awesome!!
1992 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath - Red and Cream

Reply #20
I can't decide whether to finance  a new LD or  draw down on my IRA at 20% tax. 6.5% interest. Any financial  help out there?

Reply #21
Each person's financial situation is unique; IMO, this question is best asked of your financial advisor.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #22
Depends on the Interest rate for the LD. If less than the IRA take the loan.
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #23
If no other way I’d get a loan. Have always been told to NEVER take money out of any retirement saving.
Daughter of the first Lazy Bones
Hitting the road on my own and with a friend 🚐 while reporting back to the Lazy Bones at home 🛋

2 Lazy Bones - Home

Reply #24
This is an inherently YMMV question that each person must ask themselves.  For me, I don't believe in financing depreciating assets such as cars and toys so will instead save up until the funds to make a purchase are in hand. However, I must admit we did get a loan for our recent purchase of a new Subaru Outback since they were offering 0% financing.

As far as from a strictly numbers point of view, as Joan said, ask your financial advisor for best advice.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264