Skip to main content
Topic: Leaving the Land of the Luddites - iPhone Discussion (Read 470 times) previous topic - next topic
Leaving the Land of the Luddites - iPhone Discussion
Ok, I admit that I had to look up the definition of Luddite when I was accused of being one by my brother-in-law who works at HP. 

Luddite | Definition of Luddite by Merriam-Webster

So DW just got a iPhone 7 plus to replace her aging 5c so guess what I'm getting ready to switch to (Hint: I always end up getting her old phones)?

Any words of warning, encouragement, etc. as I get ready to make this huge technological leap?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Re: Leaving the Land of the Luddites
Reply #1
Greg,

My new phone is the iPhone 7. DW has the 7Plus. Nice phones...etc. Cell phone upgrades are difficult to avoid as manufacturers tend to build in obsolescence to almost match your contract with providers. Can we all spell Cash Cow?

Our previous phones were 5c’s. Nice enough while they lasted. DW’s suffered the drop of doom and never recovered completely. Mine did well until the charge cord stopped making good contact with the phones pins/slot or whatever and became extremely unreliable for taking a charge.

I make extensive use of the phones Note Pad. Page after page of valuable stuff. Poems, camping trips etc...Not to mention all those wonderful photos of Yellowstone stored on the Camera Roll.

Advice? Make sure you back up your phone completely in your computer. Creating a Full Backup of everything. And I mean everything.

I put my trust in the AT&T salesman to help transfer my old to new phone. My Note Pad didn’t make the transfer.

Later while at the Apple Store I was able to back up my old phone to my new one. Ok. Simple enough except that in doing so I lost all my new pics including everything from our Yellowstone trip.

Panic set in. Luckily I had already transferred all those pics to my Lap Top and was able to retrieve them the hard way.

So, yeah. Back up everything and get ready for the 5 to die and start all over again.

Best of luck.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #2
Actually the Luddites were right in that their former jobs as skilled craftsmen were replaced by unskilled (and lower paid) jobs.

Sort of what's happening now in many areas of out economy.

Overall can be considered a good thing except by those run over by technology advances.
Steve and Annette
2019 TK 24

Reply #3
My I suggest either using iCloud or Google cloud services.   This will, if used, automatically put you 'stuff' on either Apple or Google servers.   And as a bonus the 'stuff' will be available on any device you use.    I use Keep the Google version of Notes.   All my 'notes' are saved across all devices that I log into. 

On the main issue my I also suggest saving your old phone just in case.

personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #4
Thanks for the great ideas and info!

My first dumb question is can the iPhone 5 wall charger be used on the iPhone 7?
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #5
Greg,

Simple question. Simple answer. Yes.

Power cord is the same.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #6
I just went from the iPhone 5 to the 8plus 😊
Daughter of the first Lazy Bones
Hitting the road on my own and with a friend 🚐 while reporting back to the Lazy Bones at home 🛋

2 Lazy Bones - Home

Reply #7
Hi Greg,
Fellow long-time luddite here. Newest, latest, and greatest is almost never attractive in my world.
I am going to deep six my uncooperative Samsung Galaxy 5 in favor of a Apple 7. Kent's expertise will be carefully absorbed and
I'll  be watching this post to learn vicariously.
HD
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #8
In regards to iPhones that charge erratically, or not at all, when plugged in....  take a wooden tooth pick and dig out the lint that tends to collect in the charge hole.  This happened to my 6 and again to my current 7+.   After digging out a little wad of lint, they worked fine.   I carry my phone in my front pocket so it does pick up lint over time.

This could happen to any phone, of course.      Frank

plan B - 2023 Travato

Reply #9
^^^ This.  My son had to go to the "Genius Bar" for that revelation. 

Chip
2000 Front Lounge

Reply #10
"I carry my phone in my front pocket so it does pick up lint over time."
---
For shirt pocket phone packers: the phone won't pick up lint (or a lot less of it) if it's placed in the pocket with the charge port facing up;)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #11
Number one phone failure- dropped into the toilet.  Number one phone breakage- dropped onto the floor. Shirt pocket toters beware. Button that flap soldier!

And don’t even think about a phone holster for a sleek new smartphone. Fashion offense.

Also, try to master one handed texting- a manly, casual and cool look.

It’s a lot of responsibility moving up to a fancy phone.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #12
Number one phone failure- dropped into the toilet.  Number one phone breakage- dropped onto the floor. Shirt pocket toters beware. Button that flap soldier!

And don’t even think about a phone holster for a sleek new smartphone. Fashion offense.

Also, try to master one handed texting- a manly, casual and cool look.

It’s a lot of responsibility moving up to a fancy phone.
I suppose the fashionistas would find this out of the question: Amazon.com: SOSAM iphone 6 Lanyard Necklace Case TPU Shockproof Protective...
Chris
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #13
Chris the necklace, like the selfie stick, is part of a plot to make Americans look foolish. These things get hopelessly tangled in one’s man scarf. Don’t become a victim of foreign cyber fashion attacks.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #14
Paul, it could be worse. It could be a murse!
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #15
Went to the Verizon store today and officially made the switch to the 5c. Funny story, the girl who was helping me needed to take the Life Proof case off to access some info on the phone. She was new and in training and managed to rip the protective screen off the case, not knowing how to open it (neither did I). She was very apologetic and offered to buy a new one from her own money. I told her you are in training, lesson learned; let Verizon pay for it.  New case is on order.

No longer a Luddite?
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #16
I recently purchased a iPhone 8+ to replace the 5S that could no longer consistently hold the charging cable.  An unexpected benefit in upgrading to the new phone is a better cell antenna.  I live in a house that has plaster walls.  The house is also in a area of poor cell coverage.  With the iPhone 5S (and earlier cell phones too) the plaster walls along with the location would conspire to arresting any incoming calls before the signal hit the phone.  The new phone works everywhere in the house and shows much better signal strength on the little bar meter in the window.  

I picked the 8+ over the smaller 8 and 7 and 7+ largely because of the camera.  I like the phone, but if a camera is not as important to you the 7 might be a better deal.  It takes great pictures and is easy to read when using it as a GPS; but I had to go onto Amazon (via LDO) to buy a "dongle" cable that would allow me to charge the phone while the also having a jack cable running to the radio.  To make the phone more water resistant Apple removed the "headphone" jack port.   The lack of a headphone jack was not an issue for the Subaru, but is a problem for the Lazy Daze that has a older generation radio that does not have BlueTooth or USB cable connections to the radio for other devices.

I don't know when the better antenna came along.  According to some of the research I did the iPhone 8 differs very little from the iPhone 7 families.   My wife's iPhone 6+ has the same reception issues that my iPhone 5s had.   

Just some food for thought as you go out for your next cell phone.

Be safe and be happy all,
John

Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #17
"
I don't know when the better antenna came along.  According to some of the research I did the iPhone 8 differs very little from the iPhone 7 families.  My wife's iPhone 6+ has the same reception issues that my iPhone 5s had."

I'm glad to hear that there is reception improvement over the iPhone 6 Plus in the newer iPhone.  Have been salivating over the iPhone X, but quaking from the number of digits in the price tag!  I have an iPhone 6 Plus, which has a very nice camera, but oo-la-la . . . I am breathless with excitement over that new camera.  I have been putting off purchasing a new camera in the hopes that the improved camera on the iPhone X could take the place of MOST of my shots that I now take on my 12 MP Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150.  The sticking point is the lack of zoom in the phone.

A year of agony over "improve the camera" vs. "wait for the next big thing in iPhone" is over now.  I'll still need my camera for zooming in on nature, but much of my photography is near field anyway.

Pant, pant!  ;->

Virtual hugs,

Judie  <-- Sierra Vista, Arizona
   Adventures of Dorrie Anne | Photographing the West

Today:  Swiss, Salami, and Roasted Green Peppers

Reply #18
The camera in the 8+ is supposed to be the same as the one in the X.  Both are not very different when compared to the 7+, but you might see the difference and I thought I would which is why I opted for the 8+.    The cost of the was not that much less than the X.  If I had sprung for the super duper charger it would be closer.  My wife and I both use each other's phone when the car together so I wanted to keep the user interface similar.   I think the next generation of iPhones will move the way of the iPhone X and have fewer buttons.  The "home button" on the 8 is not really a button.  It is a sensor.  When you press it the phone vibrates once so there is a slight difference in feel.  The feel is more like a pin ball machine that just had the "Tilt" warning happen.  At first I thought something was loose inside.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath