Skip to main content
Topic: Outfitting a Towed Vehicle (Toad) (Read 504 times) previous topic - next topic
Outfitting a Towed Vehicle (Toad)
I thought posting this might be helpful
for those who are making the great debate on weather to flat tow or use a tow dolly.  After researching both options,  I decided  to go with flat towing for these reasons.  The savings on the added weight of a tow dolly, space needed for storage of a tow dolly  at home and campsite,  The ease of connecting and disconnection of the tow vehicle, and I like the idea of the tow vehicle being  fastened directly to the motorhome.  I decided to go with the Chevy spark. Some of my reasons why I decided on the spark. The reviews, the head room, the weight of the vehicle, gas milage, and the ease of flat towing. One thing I did not like about the Chevy spark was the spare tire situation or lack there of.  It comes with some sort of slime and a mini air compressor.  I opted to fine a donut spare that will fit and added tools, and a jack. All fit where a spare would go, without taking up anymore room in cargo area.  I have $12,083 all in on a comfortable well equipped  tow vehicle and probably 1.5 million dollars worth of my time of installing everything and research. lol  All joking aside I am very happy with the way everything turned out  and didn't mind making the investment that's going to be used for a lot of years to come. Its is stored in indoor storage with the lazy daze and will be used as a tow vehicle only.

Listed are some necessary things purchased for flat towing and some options to tailor to my needs.

2014 Chevy spark 5 speed manual used $9,453  12,000 miles purchased few years ago
tinted windows, drivers side and passenger legal all others (dark) $135.00 helps with heat and privacy.
weather tech mats driver,passenger and rear cargo area $189.00 (weather tech) a must for wet muddy shoes.
Blue ox base plate kit with removable arms (E-trailer item BX1722) $480.00
NSA ready brute elite tow bar (Rb-95050) $1077 with intergated brake system.
light kit $53.00 (e-trailer) wired into the vehicle. no magnets
Wilson 305-38 300 watt little wil magnet base CB antenna $36.00 (eBay)
CB cobra 75 wx st (had it already) same one in the LD.
factory roof rails 100.00 (junk yard) car did not come wit them.
roof rack cross bars with locks $44.00 (eBay)
Thule side kick roof top storage container $48.00 (auction)
Thule 870 32” roof rack fairing air deflector $60.00 (eBay)
Trailer hitch receiver class 1 (etrailer)$95.00 for bike rack
kayak rack $19.00 (ebay) not pictured
Aveo spare tire (fits Chevy spark) $75.00 ebay
lug wrench telescoping breaker bar $23.00
up graded front and rear speakers (crutch field) $56.00 much better sound
battery cut off switch $12.00 (amazon)
extra transmitters for tire minder pressure monitoring system $128.00

I hope this is helpful to to some of you debating a tow vehicle. We have not been anywhere it wouldn't have been used. If anyone has any questions on installation of anything or any other questions please don't hesitate to ask .  cheers  greg
2016 TK

Re: my toad is finished
Reply #1
Looks sharp.  Does that towbar brake setup also do emergency braking?

Also, greetings to Cuyahoga (18) from Ohio county 25 (Franklin)!

Chip
2000 Front Lounge

Re: Outfitting a Towed Vehicle (Toad)
Reply #2
I thought posting this might be helpful
for those who are making the great debate on weather to flat tow or use a tow dolly.  After researching both options,  I decided  to go with flat towing for these reasons.  The savings on the added weight of a tow dolly, space needed for storage of a tow dolly  at home and campsite,  The ease of connecting and disconnection of the tow vehicle, and I like the idea of the tow vehicle being  fastened directly to the motorhome.  I decided to go with the Chevy spark. Some of my reasons why I decided on the spark. The reviews, the head room, the weight of the vehicle, gas milage, and the ease of flat towing. One thing I did not like about the Chevy spark was the spare tire situation or lack there of.  It comes with some sort of slime and a mini air compressor.  I opted to fine a donut spare that will fit and added tools, and a jack. All fit where a spare would go, without taking up anymore room in cargo area.  I have $12,083 all in on a comfortable well equipped  tow vehicle and probably 1.5 million dollars worth of my time of installing everything and research. lol  All joking aside I am very happy with the way everything turned out  and didn't mind making the investment that's going to be used for a lot of years to come. Its is stored in indoor storage with the lazy daze and will be used as a tow vehicle only.

Listed are some necessary things purchased for flat towing and some options to tailor to my needs.

2014 Chevy spark 5 speed manual used $9,453  12,000 miles purchased few years ago
tinted windows, drivers side and passenger legal all others (dark) $135.00 helps with heat and privacy.
weather tech mats driver,passenger and rear cargo area $189.00 (weather tech) a must for wet muddy shoes.
Blue ox base plate kit with removable arms (E-trailer item BX1722) $480.00
NSA ready brute elite tow bar (Rb-95050) $1077 with intergated brake system.
light kit $53.00 (e-trailer) wired into the vehicle. no magnets
Wilson 305-38 300 watt little wil magnet base CB antenna $36.00 (eBay)
CB cobra 75 wx st (had it already) same one in the LD.
factory roof rails 100.00 (junk yard) car did not come wit them.
roof rack cross bars with locks $44.00 (eBay)
Thule side kick roof top storage container $48.00 (auction)
Thule 870 32” roof rack fairing air deflector $60.00 (eBay)
Trailer hitch receiver class 1 (etrailer)$95.00 for bike rack
kayak rack $19.00 (ebay) not pictured
Aveo spare tire (fits Chevy spark) $75.00 ebay
lug wrench telescoping breaker bar $23.00
up graded front and rear speakers (crutch field) $56.00 much better sound
battery cut off switch $12.00 (amazon)
extra transmitters for tire minder pressure monitoring system $128.00

I hope this is helpful to to some of you debating a tow vehicle. We have not been anywhere it wouldn't have been used. If anyone has any questions on installation of anything or any other questions please don't hesitate to ask .  cheers  greg
Greg, thanks for this valuable report. I hope you don't mind if I changed the thread title to make it easier for folks to do a search in the future.
Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #3
I noticed the personalized plates on the tow...do they match the Lazy Daze?
Can we get a peek?  :)
Hi, I'm Jo!
My little red wagon is a 1997 23.5 TK

Reply #4
Did you also buy a jack to replace tires? My mustang has the same compressor and fix a flat in a can, no jack.

Ron
Ron and Linda
Ada Michigan

Reply #5
To answer Chip's question:  yes you can purchase a break-away kit for the Ready Brake system for $110.
I've used the Ready brake on a Demco towbar for 8 years or so.  Simple and works great.
2004 26.5 MB
Enjoying retirement traveling, Rzr riding, photography, and of course the 2 grand girls!

Reply #6
According to Motorhome magazine's dinghy guide, there are four 2017 vehicles (manual transmission) in the 2200-2400 pound range which are flat towable: the Spark, Hyundai Accent, Nissan Sedan MT, and Toyota Yaris. None is an off-roader (for sure), but for many people who just want a lightweight toad to shoot around in and can go 'small' , these four look like viable - and 'budget priced', as far as cars go - choices.

Towable vehicle options change from year to year; note that these four are 2017 models. Check the guides for towables for other model years.

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #8
Did you also buy a jack to replace tires? My mustang has the same compressor and fix a flat in a can, no jack.

Ron
Hey ron, I forgot to mention that. I do have a jack. I had a cheap scissor jack from harbor freight $14.00 (on sale) that works well. I am sure that the slime and compressor will work fine, But if i am out exploring the piece of mind having a physical spare was a cheap investment and didn't take up any more space.
2016 TK

Reply #9
We bought a 2017 Chevy Sonic (automatic transmission) for our toad.  It is a 4-door, huge trunk and is flat towable.  It's light and all that is needed is to pull the DLIS fuse, put in neutral and the key on ACC.  We had a SMI braking system installed, so I flip a switch from OFF to ON to engage the braking system.  Blue Ox baseplate and tow package.  Works great and you can't even tell we're towing a car.  We are not big off-roaders, so this is perfect for us. 
David and Marie Philbrick
Proud former 2017 27' MB Owners

Reply #10
To answer Chip's question:  yes you can purchase a break-away kit for the Ready Brake system for $110.
I've used the Ready brake on a Demco towbar for 8 years or so.  Simple and works great.

I'm curious as to how the breakaway system works - I dismissed the Ready Brake for our Fit toad partly because I couldn't figure out how a mechanical-only breakaway system would work. If it needs electrical connections, that would seem to compromise the simplicity of a mechanical brake system...

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #11
According to Motorhome magazine's dinghy guide, there are four 2017 vehicles (manual transmission) in the 2200-2400 pound range which are flat towable: the Spark, Hyundai Accent, Nissan Sedan MT, and Toyota Yaris. None is an off-roader (for sure), but for many people who just want a lightweight toad to shoot around in and can go 'small' , these four look like viable - and 'budget priced', as far as cars go - choices.
These micro cars make great tow vehicles,  as long as you do not attempt poor back roads.
With minimal ground clearance and very short wheelbases, they can get stuck or high centered very easily, I have seen and heard of many examples, from various LD owners.
If back roads appeal to you, and a Jeep-like vehicle is out of the question, considering upgrading to a small, manual transmission Subaru for a more capable vehicle. Short lift kits and skid plates are available for most Subis.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #12
"With minimal ground clearance and very short wheelbases, they can get stuck or high centered very easily..."
----
Definitely. My daily driver is a 'road kill scraper' Honda Fit; good car, lots of interior space for such a little thing, but there's not a lot of daylight underneath! If I towed one of the vehicles (light and small were my criteria) listed in my post, I'd be cautious about choosing appropriate road surfaces . Probably. Most of the time. Oh, I think I can make that....  ;)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #14
Steve, the way a breakaway system works with any TOAD braking system is pretty straightforward.  There is a cable attached between the RV and a plug on the TOAD.  When the plastic "key" is in the plug, emergency braking is disabled.  If the car breaks away from the RV, the cable pulls the key out of the plug, and a signal is sent to the TOAD braking system to apply the brakes fully. 

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #15
Steve, the way a breakaway system works with any TOAD braking system is pretty straightforward.  There is a cable attached between the RV and a plug on the TOAD.  When the plastic "key" is in the plug, emergency braking is disabled.  If the car breaks away from the RV, the cable pulls the key out of the plug, and a signal is sent to the TOAD braking system to apply the brakes fully. 

Ken F in NM

What Ken said. Pretty much a standard on travel trailers with brakes.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #16
I like Pauls suggestion of the 2CV. If you get it stuck, you just pick it up and put it somewhere else. Then there is the benefit that anyone not familiar with its controls cannot drive it. Great theft detterent.
HD
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #17

Ken, the braking system in question is purely mechanical - nothing to send a 'signal' to. It uses the momentum of the toad to pull a cable attached to the brake pedal. The faster the stop, the harder the tug on the cable, and the more the toad brakes are applied. If the toad comes loose, that cable will be non-functional. An entirely different system must come into play to perform the breakaway function. My question is exactly how is that accomplished? The SMI system I use has a compressor and vacuum pump to apply the brakes. The pulled breakaway plug simply activates that electrically.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #19
Wow! This certainly adds to the complexity of the braking system install - it's not clear to me if it is even compatible with the surge brake system, since both systems have to be routed through the firewall to the brake pedal. I guess you carry spare shear links for the eventuality of activation. I would be interested if anyone has installed both systems and is satisfied with the result.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #20
This should explain how the Readybrake breakaway works:
ReadyStop™ Towed Vehicle Emergency Break Away Kit
That's interesting, the breakaway cable looks to need a fairly straight shot from the bumper to the brake pedal.
So for Steve's Honda Fit, it would require drilling a hole straight through the engine...is that a problem?

While Ready Stop and other surge type tow-brakes work on many vehicles, they don't work on all.
Some vehicle engine bays are packaged so tightly that there isn't a good 'pathway' for the two cables.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #21
Actually, the Ready-Brute towbar/brake WOULD likely require a hole drilled through the Fit block for correct operation, but the Ready-Stop could be run around sturdy obstructions and still function. Releasing the lock after an incident might require two people - one to give a shove to the engine block, while the other presses the button...

Intrinsically, I really like the idea of the mechanical surge-brake system, since if it can be properly routed, it provides ideal proportional braking without undue wear on either toad or m'home brakes.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit