Skip to main content
Topic: Destination Report - Oregon to Nevada to Oregon  (Read 239 times) previous topic - next topic
Destination Report - Oregon to Nevada to Oregon
Just pulled in home a few hours ago.  I picked up a nasty cold so I plan a more complete report tomorrow.    But let me had we broke a new temperature extremes record on this trip.    From 110 in Death Valley to 27 in Susanville.

personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Re: Destination Reprot - Oregon to Nevada to Oregon
Reply #1
Get some rest and we'll look forward to your report!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #2
Colddog

Oh pshaww... it was 22° the morning I left June Lake!   :o
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #3
OK now that I'm almost human again -- getting old is not for the weak at heart. 

For years DW and I donated money to  Remote Area Medical.   This year when we saw they were coming to Nevada we decided to join them as volunteers.     Having spend my whole adult life in the medical field I believed I had some energy still left in this old body to give to others in need.   When we started planning the trip we noticed we could swing by one of our favorite hot springs RV camping spots.   Crystal Crane Hot Springs.    <smile> Don't know about all those 'healing' claims but the hot water sure feels good.   From there we drove to the Reno RAM clinic spend four days in a Boys and Girls Club parking lot on site.  Then on to Pahrump.   We stopped  in Fallon, NV.  It was on 80 or so miles awhile from Reno.  We needed to gather some energy and rest from the tasks in Reno.     We stayed at Fallon Churchill Fairgrounds.   Not a bad spot.  All sites are hard dirt.   For $11 wasn't bad.   This is were we heard about the shootings in Las Vegas.   We began to wonder if there would be enough medical staff for the Pahrump event.   Next stop was Miller's Rest Area.    One of our favorites in you are on I-95.    Next day Pahrump but not before a stop at the Area 51 Alien Store and Brothel.   Fun place.    Then on to Pahrump.    Four days in a dirt lot out back of a repurposed elementary school.   Our concern about medical help was misplaced.    Most medical folks were from out of state.   We gave out medical, eye and dental care for over 300 folks from 5:30 in the morning to 6 or so at night.    For an award to DW and I we left Pahrump headed to Death Valley.   It was to be our treat for working so hard.    First night the temp maxed out at 113 then to add insult (smile) we had a nice dust and wind storm for most of the night.   Fine dust was in and on every surface of Baxter.   Spent the morning cleaning up and out.  ----  to be continued (can on post 10 images at a time.   
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #4
And then ..... As we headed back to Oregon we came across a ghost town.   Not much there but it was a good rest stop.  
We basically repeated the path back to Portland except we went up 385 then over to I-5.    Susanville has a great very quiet Walmart overnight parking lot.   But is was very  cold in the morning.    OK I like the rain not cold.  

It was about a 2000 mile round trip.    Very rewarding -- except for the cold I still fight off.   My standard thing is to blame DW for the colds but she is just as healthy as the day we started on this trip.    So I should of listened to her and washed my hands more often.  
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #5
Thank you for sharing your trip Colddog 😊🚐
Daughter of the first Lazy Bones
Hitting the road on my own and with a friend 🚐 while reporting back to the Lazy Bones at home 🛋

2 Lazy Bones - Home

Reply #7
Nice report, Colddog;  and remember "what happens in Area 51, stays in Area 51!"  ;)

There was a sign that offered tours of the brothel.   I made the mistake of wondering if that would be a good tour for us.  DW was NOT amused.    I am constrain by probity and survival from repeating her exact response.   
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King