Skip to main content
Topic: Mothers Back to Black Plastic and Trim Restorer (Read 385 times) previous topic - next topic
Mothers Back to Black Plastic and Trim Restorer
For years, I have used Mothers Back to Black treatment on the front bumper and mirrors.

Yesterday, we gave Mothers Back to Black Plastic and Trim Restorer a test drive on our LD.  We used it on the two (2) side view mirrors and on the lower front plastic bumper.   I didn't take any before and after pictures, but the results were excellent.  Later this week, I'll do a second coat.  If this helps keep these pieces looking fresh for 3-6 months, I'll be satisfied.   Btw, I bought this stuff on-line from Pep Boys which is offering a 30% promo code and it was delivered just down the street from us the day after we ordered it.  Ref:  Mothers Back-to-Black Trim & Plastic Restorer, 12 oz. | 993391 | Pep Boys

Hope this is helpful.

Re: Mothers Back to Black Plastic and Trim Restorer
Reply #1
 I can see it doing OK on the parts you mentioned. I tried it on the black plastic bumpers of our Jeep. I was not impressed. It took a lot of rubbing and the shine was gone in a week. I have found that the more expensive Aerospace 303 is easy to use, just spray it on and it lasts longer. I spray everything plastic on the LD and the Jeep with it. Including the tank drains which get rather messy from road grime. If you buy it by the gallon it's not so expensive.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #2
"I have found that the more expensive Aerospace 303 is easy to use, just spray it on and it lasts longer."
---
Every vinyl surface and LD bumper that I've seen that has been painted with a 'black restorer' product has looked pretty scabby within a short time; the coating chipped, peeled, and faded, leaving the bumper looking worse than it did before the 'treatment'.

I've also used 303 exclusively on all vinyl and/or rubber parts, including the bumper; the grey vinyl bumper on my old rig does requires a couple of coats of 303 and some 'scrubbing' into the surface, but it looks good after the treatment.

YMMV, as always.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Another vote for 303.

On my motorcycles and 4 wheel vehicles, I use the 303 for all of the black plastic parts and trim.  It doesn't take long to hit the parts with 303 on a rag whenever I wash the vehicle.  All of the bits hold their black color, even when exposed to the sun and UV. You have to start doing this while the parts are still black.  It will not restore oxidized plastic.  For that, I use a heat gun.

I wear a blue Kevlar motorcycle jacket (much stronger than leather for those occasional and unfortunate close encounters with pavement) that I treat each year with 303 when the pants and jacket gets their annual wash and waterproofing.  A friend bought the same jacket at the same time I did and hers is very faded and mine is still nice and blue.  303 does work.

HD
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #4
Does someone have a link to this magical 303 formula?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #5
"Does someone have a link to this magical 303 formula?"
---
The product(s) page:

303® Aerospace Protectant™ Sprays & Wipes for a Lasting Shine

Multiple vendors, Amazon and many, many others; prices do vary.

The gallon size of 303 Aerospace Protectant is by far the most cost effective; fill (and refill, and refill.....) a spray bottle and have at it.

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
I should try some on our Mini convertible molding.  Starting to look a little gray.  I have some "Wipe New" as-seen-on-TV stuff that is on-deck for that application.  Might do a comparison.

Anyone using it on RV tires? (For life extension, rather than appearance.)  Site mentions protection from UV and preventing cracking.  Probably not a miracle cure, though.

Chip
2000 Front Lounge

Reply #7
303 is a good product, used on our LD's tires and other plastic.

Back to Black Plastic Restorer also works fine but, over time, it builds up a layer on the front bumper that prevents the color from showing through.
To clean off this layer, I use a 3M kitchen scrub pad, a wire brush, a bit of elbow grease and Mother's Back to Black HD Cleaner.
Mothers® Back-to-Black® Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner Kit
The cleaner cuts the coating away, allowing a new application of Back to Black Restorer to work again.
While cleaning, you can see the old coating dissolving and flowing away in the rinse water.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #8
On plastic that is heavily degraded and oxidized:

Wipe New does work, I am told by Texas relatives. I did a little comparison of Back to Black, Ultimate Black, Wipe New, and a couple of other recovery treatments. None stood out to me, for longevity or appearance.

For recovery the heat gun trick works, but be careful! You can damage thin plastic areas.

Another way is to spray with Plasti-Dip, which lasted over a year for me (though I had poor results with white Plastic-Dip).

Scrubbing with 303 on a mild abrasive pad, including with an oscillating polisher works well for me. 

Nothing I have tried  lasts more than 6-9 months on plastic that is already degraded. Rubber parts are hopeless, and once they get badly oxidized are on an inevitable slope to failure.

Plastic that is new, or in good shape:

I have tried many products, but have come back to 303. That and my beloved Zaino protectants seem to work, if applied 2-4 times a year, depending on exposure to the sun.  For tires I apply 303 every month when I’m on the road, much less often when the LD is at home in the barn.  It is too easy not to use, and seems to extend the life of rubber and plastic.

Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #9
I used "Wipe New" on the valance of our 2003's front bumper which had turned silvery looking over the years. I have been very impressed with how well it has held up. It has been over a year since I applied it and I feel it looks as good now as it did right after I applied it.

My opinion is that it was far easier to use than the spray bumper paint (and I definitely lack spray painting skills!) and gives a more natural appearance than a black coating of polish.

I think a couple things are important if you are going to use Wipe New. First, get the surface as clean as possible; you can't just apply it over a soiled surface and expect an evenly treated appearance.  Second, you need to protect the treated area from getting wet (rain, dew, etc.) for a day. I covered my bumper area with a tarp overnight) After cleaning the bumper valance as good as I could, the actual application took less than 10 minutes. But the prep work is the most important thing.

Steve K.

Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #10
I have had good luck with Detail Doctor Instant Restorer. Have to do a couple coats but it lasts pretty good.
Lynn and Lori

Reply #11
I've an amigo who uses cleaning supplies for one of his hobbies.  Lots of cleaning supplies.  In fact, his garage looks like an aisle that you might see at Wal-Mart.  When he learns of a new cleaner, he buys it.  I've vowed to myself that it may be tempting to do the same thing with various RV cleaning, polishing, restoring products, I'll not let my garage look like a Wal-Mart aisle.  Having said that, once I use all my Mothers Back to Black (or lose it, or give it away), then I'll try what's next on my list ...  Aerospace 303. 

At the end of the day, we're still having RV fun.