Skip to main content
Topic: In-Line Fuse - OEM 12V TV (Read 151 times) previous topic - next topic
In-Line Fuse - OEM 12V TV
On a recent trip, while in the middle of watching TV, the TV lost power.   So I checked all the connections and the glass in-line 8A fuse.  The fuse holder is two (2) pieces that screw together.  The fuse holder was wrapped in electrical tape and when I removed the tape, I found that the fuse holder was cracked into 2 pieces.  (How in blue blazes does a plastic fuse holder break?)

So I decided that I'd remove the in-line fuse holder and connect the two (2) wires.  But I needed a second opinion so I called Ken Fears who said it would be okay as a "temporary" repair but he emphasized the importance of replacing the fuse holder ASAP.   He also did a bit of Electrical Wiring Repair 101 which included the value of using Butt Connectors, for which I am very grateful.

I had trouble finding a similar in-line fuse holder and after reading about inherent weaknesses with glass fuses, decided on a ATC/ATO fuse holder (similar to this one ... https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/littelfuse-blister-pack-4152/accessories-16449/accessories---exterior-16767/exterior-lighting-16612/bulb-flasher-fuse-16457/fuses-16615/fuse-blocks---holders-18449/fuse-holder/fha1bp/4414523 ).   It seems that this type of fuse holder does not have a 8A fuse so I used a 7.5A fuse.  Turns out that many marine electrical systems use these types of fuse holders because of they can withstand shaking and banging about much better than glass fuses.

So at the end of the day, Ken Fears was a great late night resource and our TV couldn't be happier.   I tip my hat to Mr. Fears!

Re: In-Line Fuse - OEM 12V TV
Reply #1

The problem with most glass fuse holders is that contact is only single point at each end, contact pressure supplied by a spring. This is not an inherent fuse issue, and holders which clamp the ends of the fuse are available. Still, the clamping action of ATO/ATC fuses IS superior to avoid contact issues. However, not all those are the same either - hidden poor design can cause contact issues other than at the fuse that will surface down the line, particularly in higher-current circuits. Here is a link Andy provided in an earlier post for a better-quality version:

Amazon.com: Blue Sea Systems Waterproof In-Line ATO/ATC Fuse Holder: Sports...

Steve

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit