Skip to main content
Topic: Duty Cycle? (Read 302 times) previous topic - next topic
Duty Cycle?
I have read the definition of duty cycle, but it makes no sense to me.
If an air compressor has a duty cycle of 33% what does that mean?
If used for one minute, does that mean it should be off for two minutes?
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Re: Duty Cycle?
Reply #1
I had to read up on this topic, but this site explains the 'duty cycle' of an air compressor pretty well; the 'table' calculates the duty cycle percentage of a compressor's 'run, rest' minutes in terms of 10-minute total run time, i.e., a duty cycle of 50% would require 5 minutes of run time and 5 minutes of rest time. A 33% duty cycle, e.g., the Viair 400P RV, would require roughly 3 minutes of run time and 7 minutes of rest time to avoid overheating.

What is the Duty Cycle of an Air Compressor?

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Compressing air produces a lot of heat, both from the compressor's motor and from the heat produced when a gas is compressed.
The duty cycle is the percentage of time the machine can operate vs. the time needed to cool off.

High end compressors, the type found in commercial garages, can run 100% of the time, if needed. They accomplish this with large cooling fins and forced air cooling.

If you need a lot of compressed air, your LD's air conditioning compressor can be changed into high capacity air compressor, a modification seen in many off road vehicles .

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Thanks Joan, I guessed right, but could not find anything as simple as you found.

Larry, onboard air would be nice. That's way over my skill level.
That would be a nice option for Jeeps. Even better, the way Hummer's can air up.

I have run my little compressor for 10 minutes at a time. It does get hot. Maybe that's why it does not seem to work as well as when new.
Don & Dorothy

Traveling Dorothy

Reply #4

Don

Does your Rubicon already have a winch?    If not, one of these might be a good addition.
https://warn.com/truck/winches/PowerPlant_9.5.jsp
Amazon.com: Warn 91800 PowerPlant 9.5 Air Compressor and Winch: Automotive

Larry

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Don

Does your Rubicon already have a winch?    If not, one of these might be a good addition.
https://warn.com/truck/winches/PowerPlant_9.5.jsp
Amazon.com: Warn 91800 PowerPlant 9.5 Air Compressor and Winch: Automotive

Larry

Larry, you know Rubicon's don't need a winch. They never get stuck!   :D

Holy Moly, $1,700 for the winch/compressor and another $400 to $800 for a bumper to mount it on.

Still procrastinating on getting air tanks or another compressor.

Seriously, we continue to be impressed with the Rubicon. Have yet to stress it. It climbs vertical shelves without even making the tires chirp. Goes up scree strewn trails like the Mars rover. And we love the 16mpg.
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Don & Dorothy

Traveling Dorothy

Reply #6
As a hard-core Landcruiser FJ40 guy, I have to admit that I was really impressed when a friend's son gave me a ride in his Rubicon and showed me what it could do. He deftly drove across a 100 yard wide, steep talus field comprised of 3 foot granite boulders and big holes between them and then,  when I thought we had reached the end of the trail,  he successfully climbed a vertical rock ledge (about 48 inches tall) and we were off again.

The Rubicon is the most capable jeep ever available in stock form. It is truly amazing with the right pilot!

HD
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #7
Just because we could
Don & Dorothy

Traveling Dorothy