Skip to main content
Topic: Sales tax on purchase (split from Re: Seeking 31 IB) (Read 276 times) previous topic - next topic
Sales tax on purchase (split from Re: Seeking 31 IB)
"free advice!   Just order the new one.  Get the order in as soon as possible.   Get exactly what you what.  The price difference won't be that great assuming you will be keeping it for a number of years.     Frank"

More free advice . . . I'm not knowledgeable of the tax burden in everyone's state, but in Arizona, there is no state sales tax on a used vehicle purchased from a private individual.  Not so for a vehicle purchased from a dealer, or a new vehicle.  Also, if the license tag cost is based on original MSRP price minus depreciation, you may find a big drop in assessed value after just one year.

So it may pay to seek out a gently-used second-hand unit for these reasons.  Not always possible to effect, but worth doing a little finger traveling around the net.

Virtual hugs,

Judie

Re: Sales tax on purchase (split from Re: Seeking 31 IB)
Reply #1
Question: if new LD is purchased in California from an out of state owner (we are from Michigan) does the outstate purchaser have to pay California sales tax or any other fees?

We would prefer to pre-register it with a Michigan plates. Not sure it we can do that. I checked another LD IB in Michigan and registration was $750 a year. Yikes plus insurance. 

Thanks for your comments.
Ron and Linda
Ada Michigan

Reply #2
Checking with your DMV would probably give you the answers you're looking for.

Michigan DMV Services | DMV.com

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Thanks JCT but that is not useful. I could only find info on cars.
Ron and Linda
Ada Michigan

Reply #4
Ron.  It's my understanding that the Factory can arrange title transfer in Nevada for a fee.  Then the new owner registers their LD in their home county.  There's additional first hand reports using the Search feature.  Hope this helps.

Reply #5
Many new LD purchasers from out of state purchase their LD from the Mothership and have a "paid" driver deliver the new coach to the buyer in Nevada.

Then the new owner has a certain amount of time to register the LD in their home state. That being said, the LD can not be driven into California for 12 months from the date of delivery.

Some states have a laws in place that allow the new LD to be registered in California and the difference paid in their home state.

It really depends on the value you put on the cost of registration, paying a private driver and not being allowed back into California with your new rig for a year.

To the best of my recollection, my statements are pretty accurate. Others on LDO, especially out of state buyers, may have more information in the matter.

Good luck with your hunt. My brother and his DW just purchased a SOB in Arizona. I don't think he wanted to take the long hunt for the LD of his dreams.

Kent 
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #6
Thanks JCT but that is not useful. I could only find info on cars.
I didn't read the link, but why would the transfer process be different for RVs or trucks? Seems like it should be same for all vehicles. A phone call the the DMV might get you the answer.
Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #7
From the California perspective, the factory can arrange to hire a driver who drives it from the factory to the Nevada border. They then transfer the vehicle to you and you don't pay California taxes or registration fees.  I did this with my 30' TB in 2006. I followed the driver to the border, hooked up the car and off we went.

Mike S.
'06 30' TB Anniversary edition
and headed to the factory next week to get the roof resealed!
'06 30' TB Anniversary Edition

Reply #8
Split all this tax discussion out of a classified topic - Michelle

Reply #9
At the time (2012), CA sales tax was higher than PA.  The mothership arranged for a driver, we paid him, to drive to Las Vegas.  There a notary met us in a parking lot, and papers were signed and notarized.  We drove home to PA with no license plate and only a approx. 3x5 inch card stuck to the inside of the windshield (passenger side) to indicate that it was a legal purchase.  We drove home and never raised an eyebrow with the police, even in rest stops where they were present.  In PA, the vehicle must pass a state inspection before it can be registered.  Once that was done, took paperwork to AAA and they collected PA sales tax,  registered the LD with the state, and handed me the license plate.  Didn't plan on being back in CA in twelve months.
2011 MB

Reply #10
Ditto for a Nebraska citizen in 2004 except for the state inspection. The only inspection was of the check for the sales tax and did it clear or bounce (it cleared😆).

Here is a picture of waking up the first morning of ownership at Grand Canyon. Good times!
Ruby, the red 2004 26' RK hauling Dave and Kristine hither and yon

Reply #11
You can also have the hired driver drive to Ehrenberg, AZ for the transfer...it doesn't "have" to be done in Nevada.
Linda Hylton

Reply #12
What is the sales tax in CA for vehicles?  We'd have to pay the higher of CA and IL tax when we register.
Steve and Annette
2019 TK 24

Reply #14
Regarding paying state sales tax in one's own state vs. that in California . . . clearly it would be a matter of absolute dollars saved, but one must consider the extra paperwork and planning involved to effect an out-of-California delivery.  The purchaser is going to end up paying for everyone's time that is involved in not only the cost of transporting the unit to the neighboring state, but also producing the proper paperwork - from what they must do differently at the factory, to the delivery person, to the notary in the neighboring state.  Think:  "fees".

Considering the large cost of purchasing a brand-new Lazy Daze, the amount of dollars saved would need to be sufficiently large after accounting for all of the accompanying expenses of an out-of-state delivery, as a percentage of the overall cost, to be worth all of the hassle.  To say nothing of all the places where something could go wrong - a form forgotten, someone else is driving your brand-new (and very expensive) rig, a traffic jam/delay/road construction, the notary doesn't show up - so many possibilities.

All of those alarms sounded, we did actually have two different RV's delivered to us in Arizona from California and Washington State.  The cost of the California instance (2009) was wrapped up in the final cost (and they agreed to this AFTER we had "done the deal"), and the other was about $900. to bring our Sportsmobile from the Seattle area to the bottom southeast corner of Arizona, a distance of approximately 1600 miles, but that was fifteen years ago.

So YMMV, indeed!  ;->

Virtual hugs,

Judie  <-- Sierra Vista, Arizona
   Adventures of Dorrie Anne | Photographing the West

Today:  Fresh Mozzarella Pizza

Reply #15
When we bought our Lazy Daze back in 2004, we were domiciled in South Dakota which, at the time, had a 3% sales tax when registering vehicles.  So, for us, it made sense to hire a driver (about $350 as I recall) and the notary (about $10). 

The factory took care of arranging for the driver, so we didn't have to worry about arranging that ourselves...all we had to do was pay him.  And the driver (*maybe* the factory) arranged for the notary, so we didn't have to worry about that, either).  I don't remember any extra paperwork other than the notary when we arrived at Ehrenberg, but if there was, it was part of all the other paperwork we signed when we picked the rig up.

Anyway, it was a painless process and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.  Although, now that we live in Washington State, which has a high sales tax rate, it might not make sense to go to the extra expense of hiring a driver.  Depends on what California's sales tax rate is.  If it's lower than Washington's, then we'd have to pay the difference when we registered it in Washington.
Linda Hylton