Skip to main content
Topic: Build Date of Ford Super Duty 4R100 Transmission/Transmission Rebuild Tutorial (Read 618 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Does this picture show the Build Date of the Transmission?
Reply #1
I read that as March 6, 2003 😊
Daughter of the first Lazy Bones
Hitting the road on my own and with a friend 🚐 while reporting back to the Lazy Bones at home 🛋

2 Lazy Bones - Home

Reply #2
Thank you; I revised it.

But still need to know if that is the Build Date. 
LD  wannabe will be owner

Reply #3
What is the chassis manufacturing date? The mfg. date of my 2003's chassis is on a sticker on the driver's side door jamb. If the dates are 'close', the tag in the photo *probably* is the transmission mfg. date.
2003 TK has a new home

Re: Do these pictures show the Build Date of the Transmission?
Reply #4
Thanks JCT but hoping to determine the actual  Build Date.   Just want to know for sure.

Reply #5
"2003 LD -  Just trying to determine this transmission falls within the known failure range.
Is March 6, 2003 the  Build Date? "

What are the known failure built dates?
I was under the assumption all 4r100's were the same.
Lynn and Lori

Reply #6
Duro's question is the same as mine, i.e., what 'failure rates' for a 2003 transmission? What is the source of this information? I'm not thrilled with the 4R100 transmission, but mine is still working fine at 105k.  (Larry has a different experience; see the 'Larry Wade Projects' link on the home page of the board for photos and comments.)

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #8
Transmissions, use in RVs, are highly stressed and are usually the first major component to wear out.
This is the reason why you hear of them failing.
The more weight carried or pulled, the faster the transmission wears out, due to increases frequency of shifting.
Each shift causes tiny amounts of wear on the transmission's friction materials.

The 4L100 was used in LDs from1998 to 2008, that's a lot of transmissions to potentially wear out, after all these years

I too am interested in what the "known failure range" is, having never heard of it.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #9
Let me simplify.  Do the pictures I posted above in my initial post show the Build Date of the transmission pictured?   Yes or No?

Reply #10
Let me simplify.  Do the pictures I posted above in my initial post show the Build Date of the transmission pictured?  Yes or No?
Happy, I see your frustration but infer from the other posters that they don't know the answer or they would have posted it. Perhaps you have researched the tranny manufacturer or Ford?

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #11
What frustration? Perhaps you see something which is not there.  I only  desire  information in the form of a simple answer really from someone who know.

Lazy Bones, thank you for catching my date mistake. Your reply was helpful.
Larry W, thank you for the short class in transmissions. I did not hear about a known failure range either until I read it here on this LD Owner's Forum in the Technical Forum.

Chris, rest assured, come Monday when they open I will ask my question of the FORD people.

Now excuse me in advance for not posting anymore in this tread; I feel silenced.

Reply #12
What frustration? Perhaps you see something which is not there.  I only  desire  information in the form of a simple answer really from someone who know.

Lazy Bones, thank you for catching my date mistake. Your reply was helpful.
Larry W, thank you for the short class in transmissions. I did not hear about a known failure range either until I read it here on this LD Owner's Forum in the Technical Forum.

Chris, rest assured, come Monday when they open I will ask my question of the FORD people.

Now excuse me in advance for not posting anymore in this tread; I feel silenced.
No need to feel silenced, Happy. I see you are new to this forum, and had you been reading it for a long time you would have understood that members often try to help with answers to questions even if they don't know the exact answer. To me that seems more polite and friendly than no answer at all, even though in this case you were seeking a specific yes or no.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #13
Chris, will all due respect, you are a forum moderator, not one who knows what I should or should not feel.  I would think I might be well and better suited to determine that.
Yes, I am sorry if I was at any time unclear, but I am looking for an answer to my question, if anyone here knows the answer.
I am glad you get that.
And, yes, Chris, I have only been a member since July of 2016; a little over a year. Though not as long a time as some, during that time I have done quite a bit reading here.

Here is where I read this thread in which a known failure rate of 2003 transmissions was discussed and a sample transmission tag was posted.    Transmission question -- hesitation getting into or mild "bucking" in reverse?

Apparently, JCT, Duro, and Larry W did not read that thread so I thought I would be helpful so copied and pasted the thread they may have missed so they could read it should they want to.  Call it polite, and friendly coming from someone who is "new" here having been here only a year plus.

I believe someone here knows whether the pictures I posted show the Build Date of the transmission in the picture.
If I do not get an answer to my question by tomorrow, I will consult FORD for the answer.

Either way, a friendly, polite and helpful group of people here, I agree, including me.

Still, if anyone knows if the pictures I posted show the Build Date of the transmission pictured, please let me know.

Thank you, Thank you !
[/i][/i]

Reply #14
Wow, this is like watching an accident happen.

Chris, I had the same reaction as you, thinking anyone ending a question with “Yes or no?” was perhaps a bit unhappy, but as HappyChi points out, we can’t know what they feel, just the words they use.

I don’t recall this level of incivility on this forum before. Maybe time to close this one out.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #15
Good people,
I posted what I thought was a simple question hoping to get an answer to it.
Paul, no incivility on my part or emanating from anything I've written, I assure you, but as you say, we can't know what you feel, just the words you use.   If you've jumped to the conclusion incivility is or has come from me, oh-boy, simply put, you are mistaken.

Scouts honor.

Close it if you all choose, I suppose, but, how polite, friendly and helpful would that make this "Forum"?  

Reply #16
Happychi,
I would use that as the build date.

With the presence of the IT world in manufacturing. The layouts of those label change weekly.  And change from assembly plant to  assembly plant.
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #17
Here is where I read this thread in which a known failure rate of 2003 transmissions was discussed and a sample transmission tag was posted.    Transmission question -- hesitation getting into or mild "bucking" in reverse?

Apparently, JCT, Duro, and Larry W did not read that thread so I thought I would be helpful so copied and pasted the thread they may have missed so they could read it should they want to.  Call it polite, and friendly coming from someone who is "new" here having been here only a year plus.

Happychi

As a moderator, I read EVERY message, paying special attention to the technical problems.
I reread the above thread and did not see anything indicating that the transmission problem was part of a bigger issue that effects a  large number of transmissions, his problems being different than other failures reported here.
We are dealing with used transmissions that are 15 years old or older, failure should be expected as the miles and years add up. As I said before, the transmission is the weakest link in the drivetrain. 
Do you know of other 4L100s that have suffered the same reported problem ?

Our 2003's transmission died at 99,000 miles. When disassembled, it showed heavy wear throughout, with one of the thrust bearing worn out. 
I feel the problem was the results of towing a heavy Jeep most of the  time and do not blame it on a defective transmission.
Many of the other transmission failures reported here have been from LDs that have been used to towed vehicles or heavy trailers.
Installing a bigger transmission cooler is suggested.
Larger transmission cooler E450 | Flickr

If you are really concerned, have the trans rebuilt by an expert and eliminate that worry.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #18
Hi Larry,
Gosh, I don't believe I said anything indicating that the transmission problem was part of a bigger issue that effects a  large number of transmissions, his problems being different than other failures reported here.

After you said you never heard of a known failure range I only copied & pasted the post by forum member igoslow  which I read  here in the Technical Forum which discussed in part, a known failure range affecting 2003 transmissions. 

Forum member igoslow posted in part "...Use the attached decoder ring to determine if your tranny build date falls within the known failure range (July 2000 - March 2001). If it does, it's just about guaranteed that she'll have problems.  

It's good to know from long time owners that there may not be any actual known failure range.
Thanks for your insight!

Reply #19
Happychi,
I would use that as the build date.

With the presence of the IT world in manufacturing. The layouts of those label change weekly.  And change from assembly plant to  assembly plant.

Thanks Rodney!

Reply #20
Hello Bob,

I am not familiar with that style of label as it is not similar to any of the Fords that I currently own or have owned in the past. If you decide to contact the folks @ Ford and do not get anywhere with them (most are unaware due to the passage of time), you might try calling Ford RV Service 800.444.3311. Although they are not a technical service per se, they have put me in touch with "obsolete parts" guys (Ford) who have helped me in the past. Please be patient and remember their primary function is assistance and not technical expertise.

The only failure range that I'm aware of (4R100) was the one stated in the original post regarding that matter. It was a well known defect back in the day involving some 2001 vehicles equipped with 4R100 transmission, having a transmission build date between 7/27/2000 and 3/23/2001. This was caused by an inferior intermediate one way clutch (mechanical diode) causing an intermittent, delayed, or no second gear condition. Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) that may be set with this concern are P0781 (1-2 shift error), P0755 (shift solenoid B malfunction) and P0756 (shift solenoid B performance). In my particular case the failure was accompanied by none of these, but fail it did and replaced it was.

Good luck, I hope this helps!

Ray
Ray
Now doing without...

Reply #21
Ray,
Thank you so much for your reply.  I appreciate it for sure.

Again, thanks

Reply #22
I received this link from Larry a while back; it may be as interesting to others as it was to me.

Ford Super Duty 4R100 Transmission - The Wood Way
2003 TK has a new home

Re: Build Date of Ford Super Duty 4R100 Transmission/Transmission Rebuild Tutorial
Reply #23
As I have mentioned on this forum before, after three failed 4R100  transmissions in my 02 F350 7.3L diesel, John Wood built me a transmission.  It has been bulletproof for the last 40,000 miles of towing a 10,000lb. trailer.  Expensive (although what transmission overhaul isn't?), but a great product.  Besides, it is really fun watching John pull and rebuild the transmission.

HD
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Re: Build Date of Ford Super Duty 4R100 Transmission/Transmission Rebuild Tutorial
Reply #24
So does he have a franchise, or outreach program?  Mail order? ;)
Chip
2000 Front Lounge