Skip to main content
Topic: MB Carpet Question (Read 322 times) previous topic - next topic
MB Carpet Question
DW has asked me many times to find out why there's only partial carpet under the dinette table?    I didn't find an explanation using the search feature.   So, is there a reason for partial vinyl and partial carpet?  I'm guessing it was just one of those Factory's decision whose rationale is lost in history.  At any rate, if anyone has an explanation, DW thanks you and I also thank you because DW will not ask me anymore.

PostScript:

We're thinking of new, non-tracking carpet in the lounge and dinette area.   The key word in this PS is "thinking."  DW would like to bring the carpet under the dinette to the edge of the front bench.  This has been an on-again, off-again project for a long time.  I'm for off-again, but then some of you already know how that goes.

Re: MB Carpet Question
Reply #1
Perhaps there is vinyl to reduce wear when entering/exciting the dinette. The twisting of feet would wear the carpet.
Ron
Ron and Linda
Ada Michigan

Reply #2
Ed,

I'm not certain if this will answer your question, but here goes.

In our '15 RB, the carpeting runs from the cab and through the living room space between the two couches. It ends at the vinyl flooring.

While the vinyl flooring continues to the rear of the coach, there is carpeting under the dinette. I believe it's there to make your toes happy on a cold morning. But, like all the LD carpet it can collect dirt.

To preserve the living area carpet we laid down a carpet runner. To protect the dinette carpet I placed two carpet pieces used for automobile back seat floors. I then placed a memory foamed carpet pad over those creating a very comfortable spot to rest my bare feet.

The pad is easily removed for cleaning. It sits nicely between the dinette seats and the dinette table leg rests on top of it. It was an inexpensive addition that my DW and I enjoy very much. And it keeps the OEM carpet from gathering the grime that gets tracked in.

Hope this answered some of your question.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #3
New LDs are carpet-less except for the cab (at least, the one that I saw was all vinyl flooring). To me, this is one of the most positive interior changes (along with the far more subtle 'tweed' upholstery) that LD has made! 

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
New LDs are carpet-less except for the cab (at least, the one that I saw was all vinyl flooring). To me, this is one of the most positive interior changes (along with the far more subtle 'tweed' upholstery) that LD has made! 

I certainly agree.  We haven't been able to decide between replacing the carpet or to go all vinyl.  Our existing vinyl is in decent shape and extends under the cabinets into the upper basement areas.  I'm so reluctant to "compromise" this single piece of vinyl flooring since a single sheet is a better moisture barrier than two (2) pieces.  In addition, it bothers me to replace the vinyl when it's still in decent condition.  So for more than a year, we've gone from replacing existing carpet, to all vinyl, to vinyl planks, to surrender.  I'm entering the surrender stage again.

Reply #5
Hi Ed & Margee,

Regarding the small section of carpeting under the dinette, I seem to recall that the carpet covers a bolt head. That area is one of the few places along the walls of a midbath that is not covered with cabinets or sofas which probably conceal other bolt heads.

When some owners started removing carpeting from their LDs to install laminate flooring, I think there were issues that came up with covering those protruding bolt heads. You may find out if my recollection is accurate by searching the old messages dealng with removing and replacing the carpeting.

Way back in the old days (2002), we were at the LD factory and we were debating ordering a 2003 mid bath or rear bath floorplan. At that time, LD was installing a small section of carpeting in the rear bath bathrooms that we thought was, well...stupid. I asked Steve Newton if we ordered a rear bath, could they eliminate that section of carpet. The look I got said it all. " We can try but no promises" was his reply. The next year, they did away with the carpet in the bathroom. We ordered the midbath and have never ever regretted it.

Hope you can both sleep now that you have a possible answer! :)

Steve K.

Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #6
Hi Ed and Margee,

I did replace the carpet in my 2001 MB. There were bolts that came through the floor that I saw once I removed the carpeting. 3 or 4 in the rear lounge and I think 4 under the dining table. The ones under the dining table held up the brackets for the propane tank and the generator. I braced under the propane tank first and then removed one bolt at a time and counter sunk the hole so that the bolt and washer were below the level of the floor. Then I did the same thing for the generator bolts. Once I did all four I then just filled the space around the hole with wood filler and make sure that it was smooth with the floor. In my project I replaced all the carpeting and vinyl in the LD (except for the cab) with self sticking vinyl tile that looked like ceramic tile. I even grouted the space between the tile. Looks good and has lasted 3 years now without it coming up. We have two shelties and it is much easier to keep the floor clean.

Hope that this helps.

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin Hannah
Green Valley, AZ
Owner of 2000 26.5 RK, came back to the family
Previously 2014 Newmar Baystar
Previously 2001 LD 26.5 MB

Reply #7
In my project I replaced all the carpeting and vinyl in the LD (except for the cab) with self sticking vinyl tile that looked like ceramic tile. I even grouted the space between the tile. Looks good and has lasted 3 years now without it coming up. We have two shelties and it is much easier to keep the floor clean.

Your project sounds terrific and no doubt looks good.  I can imagine every time you look at your floor you get a sense of pride for a job well done.  Any pictures?  And thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Reply #8
Hi Ed,

I will try to attach the pictures: I cannot see what order they are in but there are 5 pictures, one showing the bolts under the dining table, one showing the bolts counter sunk and covered, one showing the finished floor under the table, one showing the finished floor looking back into the lounge and one showing the finished floor looking towards the front. Hopefully they will come through in this post. Also note that we had cabinets drawers made under the seats which may show in the photos. The smaller one is for dog stuff and the longer one, behind the passenger seat, is for pot and pans. One of the best improvements we made.
Thanks
Kevin

Kevin
Kevin Hannah
Green Valley, AZ

Reply #9
It looks very nice what did you do in the bathroom area.
2009 Kodiak 32 foot Island Bed

Reply #10
Hi,

The bathroom was the same tile on the floor. The vinyl around the toilet is still the same. I did not know how to slope the tile. Here are the before and after pictures.

Kevin

Kevin
Kevin Hannah
Green Valley, AZ