Skip to main content
Topic: Most/Least Favorite Modifications, Options, Add-ons and Accessories (Read 1657 times) previous topic - next topic
Most/Least Favorite Modifications, Options, Add-ons and Accessories
Ed's recent post about his new sway bar being one of his favorite upgrades got me thinking.  People have discussed, in separate threads, TPMS, leveling options, handling and performance add-ons, and so on.  I thought it might be interesting to see how folks, looking back, feel about some of those decisions.  I'll start with my thoughts.

Most favorites - Without question, my Quadra Bigfoot leveling system is my favorite, but I am somewhat "special needs" so I may be prejudiced.  The ease of getting the rig level is worth every penny and pound.  High on the list is my SeeLevel system for monitoring tank levels.  I would not be able to live the way I do without my solar panels and battery bank.  My PressurePro TPMS gives me a higher comfort level when I am traveling.  My Wilson cell phone booster gets me connected at times when I find no signal any other way.  I made a foam-cored bulkhead to separate the cab from the back in winter, and I lined the underside of the escape hatch with 1/2" closed cell foam to reduce condensation.  It helps keep it cozy in cold weather.  Of course, we can't leave out my Black and Decker coffee grinder and my Aeropress coffee maker...  :-)

Least favorites - I ordered my rig with the outdoor shower and the CB radio.  Both have been pretty much useless to me.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Re: What are your most and least favorite mods, options, add-ons and accessories?
Reply #1
Oh my … this is going to hurt my brain.  And this topic is just about perfect for a Poll, of which we don't see very often!  DW just said her favorite upgrades are the kitchen back-splash (Smart Tiles), a new bathroom faucet, and the vinyl replacement coverings for the tops and sides of the dinette benches.

The 200W solar system is among my most treasured components of our Lazy Daze.  Another favorite upgrade is the rear Hellwig sway bar and caster kit.  The TPMS system offers us such piece of mind that it has to be in my top choices especially since we tow a Subaru. 

Some day before I can't put on my socks anymore, I'd like a automatic leveling system like a BigFoot.  As my hearing has deteriorated, our A/C has become quieter and so that's no longer on my dream list of updates.  And finally, the dream list of updates includes good quality window shades.

We don't use and don't like the factory installed satellite receiver mounted on the roof and I may donate it to storage in my attic.  The outdoor shower gets zero use and we wouldn't have ordered it.  I remember reading that Andy Baird turned his into an outdoor electric socket!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Re: What are your most and least favorite mods, options, add-ons and accessories?
Reply #2
Well this is fun.

So much to think about. Where shall I start? Not really sure if there is a true beginning.

When we placed our order back in 2014, we considered all the options carefully and really didn't leave much out.

Wood dash kit and Ultra Leather seats in the cab. Very nice. I really couldn't see spending so much attention to detail in the coach and not adding a splash of class to the dash and cab. I'm there for a long time and I really don't care for plastic dash boards. Every little bit helps. These small details and the powered/heated mirrors were, to me, essential.

Extra solar panel. Critical. My old TT was constantly draining the battery with its poor lighting and no off the grid charging capabilities. So far, we have had plenty of 12 volt power. That's a great relief.

The sat dish? Haven't put it to use yet but I find it to be a future use item when my DW and I retire and spend more time out and about.

The outdoor shower, for me, was money well spent. I use it occasionally for outdoor grill cleanup and dirty doggy feet and bellies. My dogs tend to live in close contact with the ground and that mess is staying outside. This was an item that we knew exactly what we'd use it for.

Other Very practical additions are my Flojet Macerator, TPMS and my Wave 6 Catalytic heater. Top notch additions to our LD accoutrements.

For family safety I would add the importance of the Halatron and the Foam fire extinguishers. They are essential and add a sense of security that makes me feel safer at night.

I'm looking forward to finding a better extinguisher to replace the Dry Chemical unit LD provided. If there was one thing that the Mothership should give the ol' "heave ho" to it is that useless and noxious item. With so many better options, I'm not sure why they even bothered.

Of course the most recent addition of my new Viair 400P RV compressor has been too long in coming. But perhaps the simplest addition taking a top position in non-LD add-on equipment is my two stage water filtration system. I truly get a kick out of setting it up and filling my tank. Bye-Bye Blue.

I've added a lot of things to our LD in the last two years. I'm always adding things. Some things so tiny you'd have to open a drawer to find them. Day by day I learn something new. Critical things that can easily slip my mind. That's the beauty of LDO-Someone always has something to add.

Kent

2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #3
As a full time boon docker, the best mods I've made have been a couple hundred watts of solar and Wave 3 catalytic heater.
Not needing the furnace much has been real nice . I hate the sound of the furnace fan running, it uses way too much power and propane.
I also upgraded my rear wheel skirt hardware to the newer style with the threaded bolt through the skirt. My 96 had old style with the fastener underneath and one of my skirts cracked and it broke. When I got the replacement skirt I got the new hardware and added them. Very easy to do and much more secure now.
Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #4
Most favorite? Solar panels, hands down. And to go with them, a large bank of AGM batteries. LED lighting throughout. Those made me independent of the need to plug in.

The Vitrifrigo 12 V compressor fridge that cut my propane consumption to a fraction of what it had been. The 12 V mattress warmer--ah, what a luxury in winter! The four Hella Turbo 12 V fans that kept me cool in summer. The solar fencepost lights in the shower (mounted under the skylight) that were perfect night lights and used no power..

Those are some of the things that affected my daily life the most. (Funny that they are all electrical upgrades. But they really did make a difference for the better.) Of course there are scores of smaller mods that I did over the years.

Least favorite? The $4,400 Banks upgrade. That was a waste of money; the performance increase was barely discernible.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #5
My LD is a 2003, so some of the coach and chassis 'upgrades' and add-ons that I've done or had done over 14 years are now standard in newer/new LDs. However, these are the aftermarket items that have worked well for me, and if I bought a new LD and the items were not already on/in the rig, they would be very soon. The basics:

Chassis/Engine:

Bilstein shocks (would also consider Koni)
IPD (now Roadmaster; would look at Hellwig) front and rear anti-sway bars
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer (bolted, not welded. It does need periodic adjustment)

'Tireman' long valves (an absolute necessity, IMO!)

Solar 'system'. (I currently have AGMs, 300W of panels, Blue Sky 3000i, and PD multi-stage converter. If I bought a new LD, I would have a state-of-the-art system designed and installed by AM or their local-to-me installer [not LD], probably using Victron components and lithium batteries. But, what I have now works just fine for me!)

Velvac mirrors; the 20-20 (mine are manual) are definitely superior to the old-style mirror with the little 'doot' in the corner, but vision in the convex lower mirror section can be misleading. Would like 'true view', but UPS-style mirrors are not to be had.

Coach:

LED lighting throughout, particularly welcome in the galley area.

Upgraded faucets in galley and bath.

Wish list:

Back-up camera (If I towed, I'd already have one!)
A better stove! (And a correctly-installed and insulated refrigerator!)
Thicker, single-pane window glass; dual pane fogs, and I don't believe that it offers any more insulation than a (thicker) single pane would.

I have a CB; it has been handy when occasionally traveling with another rig, but I don't think I'd get one again.

Other improvements and add-ons, too, but the above is plenty to list!

As always, YMMV.

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
Our favorite mod is a simple one, but we've thoroughly enjoyed it this past ten years. The TK feels expansive in the back with the panoramic windows, but the kitchen area feels a little dark and closed in. I bought a plexiglass sheet mirror (no frame)  to fill the over-counter wall between the sink and the bathroom. The eye trick really makes the area seem bigger and brighter. The plexiglass is quite light, and is installed by simply resting on the counter edge ( to hold the weight) and held onto the wall by two-sided tape. Ten years and no movement. -- Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #7
What's our favorite mods?
There are many.
First would be what I call a 'boondocking' package.
Consisting of:
An upgraded 70-amp power converter - faster charging when using the generator
Two additional batteries- 440amp/hour capacity
400-watts of solar, along with up graded wiring for the panels and battery charging.
Xantrex or Victron battery capacity monitor.
Progressive Dynamic surge protector
LED interior lights
See-Level tank monitor - no more surprises.
High power cell amp with telescoping, directional antenna.
Extend-a-stay propane adaptor with an added 3-gallon propane tank.
Reinstalled and super insulated refrigerator (to Dometic specs) - for more consistent temps and less propane consumption.
Exterior perimeter LED lighting.
Remote refrigerator temperature monitoring.

For towing, you can't beat the benefits of a backup camera, an extra large transmission cooler and a TPMS.
New this year, a radiator sprayer for cooling on long, hot climbs - Details at a later date.

For comfort:
Two Wave 3 catalytic heaters
12-volt mattress heater - wonderful for winter camping
Multiple interior fans

For fun - Kayak racks and crane, on top of the LD
2003 Kayak rack | Flickr

Larry
Collection: Lazy Daze
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #8
My favorite mods are everything Andy did  :)  George and I are the luckiest owners on this forum!

Karen and George
proud new owners of a 2003 MB named Skylark

Reply #9
Personally, I think cruise control is the most important feature you can get in an RV!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LUEDVMOMY24
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #10
"Personally, I think cruise control is the most important feature you can get in an RV!"
----
Interesting. I have used cruise control only a very few times in any vehicle I've ever owned (that was so equipped).  If that feature disappeared from the rig or from my car, its absence wouldn't make a bit of difference to me. 

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #11
Love my space saver coffee maker lol
Lynn and Lori

Reply #12
The Vitrifrigo 12 V compressor fridge
I'd really like to hear more.  Which model?  What factors led to Vitrifrigo over, say, Nova Kool?  How much energy does it use, especially in hot weather?  Any regrets?

Reply #13
My 3 favorite upgrades are solar, solar, and solar. A single 200w panel has really made a difference for us.  We find ourselves using the LD as familiar and inexpensive housing in non traditional places (Not in campgrounds) and having 12v power makes a huge difference.

Convex mirrors under the factory mirrors and maybe the oxygenics shower head would be second. 

Rich
03 MB in NC

2003 MB

Reply #14
"Which model?  What factors led to Vitrifrigo over, say, Nova Kool?"

Mainly a combination of the right dimensions and low power consumption. I've heard plenty of good things about Nova Kool refrigerators, but one particular Vitrifrigo model was "just right" for my situation: replacing a 6.6 cu. ft. Norcold N641, which in turn had replaced the original 6.6 cu. ft. Dometic 3662.

I narrowed it down to the 5.3 cu.ft. Vitrifrigo DP150 and their 8.1 cu. ft. DP2600 model. The DP2600 was tempting because it offers about 30% more storage space than my Norcold, whereas the DP150 has 20% less. The tradeoff was that the DP2600 uses 65 watts, while the DP150 uses only 31 watts. After thinking hard about it, I decided that for my 99%-dry-camping lifestyle, it was more important not to have to worry about running out of electricity than to have a larger fridge.

In addition, the DP150's smaller overall dimensions let me add four to six inches of rigid foam insulation all around, paying special attention to the back and top sides where the sun shines on the rig. (Lazy Daze's insulation around the original fridge was a pathetic one inch of foam loosely fitted in the spaces between wooden structural members that touched the outer skin.) That undoubtedly cut the fridge's overall power consumption still further.

Regrets? Only one. While the DP150's refrigerator section was plenty large enough for my modest needs, I did sometimes wish for a larger freezer. On the other hand, because the 12 V Vitrifrigo fridge ran so very efficiently on solar-produced electricity, I was able to enjoy three or four months of full-time RVing between propane refills. I loved that! And I never had to worry about parking off-level, didn't have to turn off the fridge when driving or gassing up... and the chances of it catching fire were a whole lot less than with a standard absorption-type fridge. So overall, for me it was a major improvement.
Andy Baird

Reply #15
In case anybody's curious, here's a photo of the Vitrifrigo DP150 refrigerator as installed. Because the fridge is significantly less tall than the Norcold it replaced, I was able to create a very useful storage space underneath it for my pots and pans. (I added a door after this photo was taken, to prevent the contents from spilling out in transit.)

To the left of the fridge you can see Skylark's Force 10 marine stove. All-stainless construction, electronic ignition on all burners (including oven and broiler), flame sensors on all burners so you can't accidentally flood your rig with gas by brushing or leaning against one of the knobs... and note the pot clamps on the teakettle, which hold it securely even when driving on a bumpy road. I love that feature!
Andy Baird

Reply #16
And while we're on the subject, here are a couple of pictures showing the minimal insulation that Lazy Daze installed in the fridge compartment of my 2003 midbath. The only things separating the fridge from the outside were one inch of styrofoam, an eighth inch of lauan, and the aluminum skin. Much of the styrofoam was loose, and several panels fell off as soon as my friend and I had pulled the old fridge. As mentioned earlier, I replaced this with four to six inches of pink foam insulation.
Andy Baird

Reply #17
And while we're on the subject, here are a couple of pictures showing the minimal insulation that Lazy Daze installed in the fridge compartment of my 2003 midbath. The only things separating the fridge from the outside were one inch of styrofoam, an eighth inch of lauan, and the aluminum skin. Much of the styrofoam was loose, and several panels fell off as soon as my friend and I had pulled the old fridge. As mentioned earlier, I replaced this with four to six inches of pink foam insulation.

I found the same conditions in our 2003 FL, as Andy did.
As part of my long term project to increase the refrigerator's performance, last winter I pulled and reinstalled our refrigerator .
Reviewing  the Domestic owner's manual, I found that our refrigerator was not installed as specified..
The area around the exterior cooling fins needs to be restricted to force the convective air flow through the fins.
Out LD had a huge 1-1/14" gap, instead of the zero to 1/2" maximum specified clearance.
Domestic also suggested that the top, bottom and sides of the refrigerator should be insulated.
Our LD's insulation had gaps al the way around and the low-grade styrofoam was loose and totally ineffective.
Reinstalling refrigerator | Flickr

A spacer was built to funnel the air flow through the cooling fins, as shown in Dometic's manual. The lack of the spacer inhibits the natural venturi effect that should occur, if the spacer was present. Without the  spacer the cooling air will take the path of least resistance and bypass the coils.
The top, bottom and sides of the refrigerator were then insulated wth as much polyisocyanurate foam board as would tightly fit .
The top of the refrigerator originally had no additional insulation, now it has 4", filling the gap between the top of the refrigerator and the hot ceiling.
Testing, during the high heat and humidity of this last summer,  showed a definite improvement in temperature stability and the ability to keep the interior temps under 40 degree, even in 100+ temps. Monitoring the electric usage at home, before and after, using a Kill-a-Watt meter, showed a 30%+ decrease in the power usage
The fans at the top of the vent were removed, due to the lack of effectiveness, after the upgrade.
We still have an interior fan, needed to prevent stratification.

This upgrade is a worthwhile project for hot weather campers.
The refrigerator's limited cooling power can be enhance by installing the refrigerator as shown Dometic's owners manual.
I have seen similar installations in several other LDs but cannot say all LD refrigerator's are improperly installed.

Another common problem that can cause refrigerators to not have enough cooling power is low propane pressure.
Propane regulators do go out of calibration and can totally fail.
Yearly testing is suggested to ensure  that the specified  11"- H2O pressure is available, when one or more other propane devices are in use at the same time.  

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Re: Most/Least Favorite Modifications, Options, Add-ons and Accessories
Reply #18
the DP150 uses only 31 watts.
Thanks for all the great info!  Just two more questions.  Can you estimate the energy use in warm weather, for example, total amp hours used in a 24-hour period?  And how's the noise level, especially since the fridge is so close to the bed?

Reply #19
"Can you estimate the energy use in warm weather, for example, total amp hours used in a 24-hour period?"

You'd have to define "warm," and even then the question would be hard to answer because there are too many variables: how many hours a day the sun shines on that side of the rig, how many times you open the fridge door, how much food is in it (more is usually better), and so on.

For a very loose estimate, take the wattage (31 W in my case), divide by 12 to get amperage (2.6 A), and assume a 50% on/off cycle (probably a worst case). That yields 32.5 amp-hours a day. But again, that estimate could be off by a factor of two or more in either direction.

"how's the noise level, especially since the fridge is so close to the bed?"

Didn't bother me at all, but of course at age 67, my hearing isn't perfect. Still, I think most people would say it's no noisier than the burner of a propane fridge.
Andy Baird

Reply #20
For many years, my adult children, grandchildren, and DW have ask me for suggestions for what I might want for a Christmas present.  I might suggest a restaurant gift card if they'll go with me, or perhaps a spaghetti dinner at their home, or an IOU to help me on some project.  NOT THIS YEAR.   This thread certainly has provided me with a wealth of suggestions and ideas.   It's going to be a wonderful Christmas this year!   HO HO HO

Reply #21
I have to chime in here, before we bought our LD I was an onlooker on this forum for about a year.  Reading all of the posts from time to time just filled with Great Stuff.  When we got our 98 MB last year we could not wait to began on many of the upgrades and a few of my own.  LDO is such a great resource! 

Karen~Liam
        98 ~ MB
1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags

Reply #22
My favorite upgrades we did in no particular order are Andy's solar light in the shower skylight, Vanity closet latches, 250W Solar panel, whole house inverter, 2 added batteries, expanded rear couch to fold into a queen bed, added 12v outlets through out, WeBoost and trucker antenna mounted on TV mast and a safe.  I have more planned when I find/make the time.

Karen~Liam
               26 ~ MB

1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags

Reply #23
Karen and Liam,
After looking at your avatar, you might want to add some bug repellent while in Goleta Meadows.

HD
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #24

I am one with the bugs, now Karen is another story!

Karen~Liam
                                 26 ~ MB
1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze