Skip to main content
Topic: New Wilson Sleek Cell Signal Booster (Read 289 times) previous topic - next topic
New Wilson Sleek Cell Signal Booster
Has anyone installed this new/latest incarnation Sleek cell signal booster? If so, does it live up to the hype? Comments? 
2003 TK has a new home

Re: New Wilson Sleek Cell Signal Booster
Reply #2
I'm wondering if it only works for the phone that is in the cradle. If that's the case your passengers would have to wait their turn. The weBoost Drive 4G-X RV is on my list to get. I have been seriously thinking about getting one for my rig since most of the time I go some where I have very little to no reception.  I hope it works like they say it does and not be a waist of money
2004 MB

Reply #3
"I'm wondering if it only works for the phone that is in the cradle. If that's the case your passengers would have to wait their turn."
----
Well, my only passenger is the dog and she can't use the phone (I don't think she can, anyway...), but the question of possibly having to use the phone in the cradle is an issue I hadn't considered. I have no idea, but I will check with the Wilson people and see if I can find out. 
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
"Appears like the phone needs to be in the cradle to use it.  Makes sense, but not real convenient. "

What?  No Bluetooth?  ;->

This was the case when last we used our Wilson.  Got around the problem by dialing the phone whilst in the cradle, and then putting it on speaker.  Surfing directly on the phone might be a tad more awkward, though.

Virtual hugs,

Judie  <-- Sierra Vista, Arizona
   Adventures of Dorrie Anne | Photographing the West

Today:  Boneless Leg and Thigh

Reply #6
I agree with the 'must be in cradle' thoughts.  Parasitic antenna connection via cradle, to amplifier module, then out to external antenna.  Although it does say cradle must not be within 20cm of people, due to radiated power... much more than just a phone.  So it maybe could 'broadcast' in the cab area successfully.

Were we to grab one of these, I would probably put our back-up phone in the cradle full-time, and use the personal hotspot setting to give wifi within coach.  Then turn other cell phones to wi-fi calling, (which doesn't use cell at all) so all internal stuff -- phones, computers, tablets, AppleTV, etc. are on wifi only.  Yeah, we're roughing it, all right...  :)

Chip
2000 Front Lounge

Reply #7
All Sleeks require that the phone is held in the cradle .
You can use the phone's 'speaker' mode or a bluetooth headpiece.
The Sleek can be set up so you can hold the phone but it is awkward.
If you want cradle free operation, one of the more expensive boosters can be used.
weBoost Drive 4G-X Cell Phone Signal Booster | 470510

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #8
"If you want cradle free operation, one of the more expensive boosters can be used.
weBoost Drive 4G-X Cell Phone Signal Booster | 470510"

---

No 'in the cradle' operation for me; the Drive 4G-X looks like a better choice. Thanks.  :D
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #9
"Got around the problem by dialing the phone whilst in the cradle, and then putting it on speaker."

I have weBoost's cradle booster, successor to the Wilson "Sleek." With my iPhone in the cradle, I use Bluetooth headphones (Apple AirPods) to make or take calls from anywhere in or near the rig. Tap the earbud twice and say, "Hey Siri--call Joe Smith" or "Call 555-555-1212" or even "Call my sister." All recent cell phones support Bluetooth, and most have some kind of "personal assistant," so this approach should work for just about anybody.

For what it's worth, weBoost's cradle booster seems to work just like the Wilson Sleek that preceded it, which is to say pretty well. It does run hot just like the Sleek and other cellular boosters I've used. (I've never understood why this is the case in a device that merely amplifies a weak incoming signal.)

If you want the absolute maximum boost, something like the Drive 4G-X that Larry mentioned will do it, but at well over twice the price ($480 vs. $180 for weBoost's cradle booster), you have to want it pretty badly. In my opinion, most RVers will do fine with the less expensive cradle booster. In fact, I'm using one now to get online from the notoriously signal-free Alabama Hills.

By the way, one selling point for the more powerful boosters is that they're supposed to let you use your phone or hotspot anywhere inside the rig--not just on a cradle. That has never worked well for me. I've found that unless I have the inside antenna within an inch or so of the phone, the signal strength drops off rapidly. (See "inverse-square law." ;-) In short, in my experience with several of the more powerful cell amps, they have the same proximity limitations as the smaller cradle amps.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #10
We have been using the Wilson 4G sleek for several years with satisfactory results.  Is it worthwhile to upgrade to the weBoost cradle booster?  What would be the advantages?  Is the cradle on the weBoost able to handle the wider phones that are out today such as the iPhone 7 Plus?
Paul H.
Paul
2010 MB (2011-present)                                                                                        
1994 Multiplan (1997-2010)

Reply #11
This interviewee implies that multiple devices can be boosted concurrently, is that possible?

https://youtu.be/7S2F9xDv0wM?t=536

Steve
2015 TK

Reply #12
"We have been using the Wilson 4G sleek for several years with satisfactory results. Is it worthwhile to upgrade to the weBoost cradle booster?"

As far as I know, they perform the same, so I'd say no. I've heard it said that weBoost just put the Sleek's guts in a redesigned case. Don't know whether that's true, but I can't tell the difference in use.

"Is the cradle on the weBoost able to handle the wider phones that are out today such as the iPhone 7 Plus?"

Works with my iPhone 7 Plus. (But right now I have it stuck to the back of my iPad Mini with mounting putty, 'cause I'm using the iPad as an AT&T hotspot. Yes, I'm in one of those rare locations where AT& has coverage and Verizon doesn't.)

But then, I remember the Wilson Sleek as having shipped with three sets of cradle arms, so it too could accommodate wider phones. No?

"This interviewee implies that multiple devices can be boosted concurrently, is that possible?"

I haven't watched that video (can't spare the bandwidth right now), but in general, yes--assuming you can get all of them close to the indoor antenna. For example, I've boosted my iPhone and my Verizon Jetpack at the same time by rubber-banding them together with the booster's indoor antenna paddle sandwiched between them.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"