Skip to main content
Topic: Bad rain storm, receptacles not working (Read 345 times) previous topic - next topic
Bad rain storm, receptacles not working
Last night here in New Mexico we had a thunderstorm with lots of wind and rain blow through for a couple hours.
Sometime during that the GFCI breaker for the 120v outlets tripped and won't reset. 
I'm thinking that the wind blew some water into either the outside covered receptacles by the door or into the refrigerator compartment and into the unused receptacle.  The refrig. is working only on gas now.
Once the sun is up a bit more I'll check things out.
Any other suggestions?  or am I overlooking something?
Everything else in the coach seems to be working, microwave, heater, etc.
2004 26.5 MB
Enjoying retirement traveling, Rzr riding, photography, and of course the 2 grand girls!

Re: Bad rain storm, receptacles not working
Reply #1
You have outside covered receptacles? Something you added? If power is from shorepower, check power at the post for problems too.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Yes the outside covered receptacles are full of water from the blowing rain.  These are by the entry door and appear to be added by the factory since the paint is the same. 
I have the covers propped open for the water to dry out.  I didn't want to mess up the paint so didn't remove the cover plate.  I'll use a hair dryer with an extension cord to the power pole to help dry them out.  Then replace the gaskets when I get home in a few days.
2004 26.5 MB
Enjoying retirement traveling, Rzr riding, photography, and of course the 2 grand girls!

Reply #3
Well I had to remove the cover plate by carefully cutting the factory paint with a knife.  Let the water flow out then used a hair dryer to dry out the receptacle.  Reset the breaker and everything is fine.  Have the cover plate gasket drying out in the sun.  I'll replace the gaskets later.
Thankfully that was the only problem, no leaks anywhere else.  All compartments were dry.  Sunny now and no hail last night!
2004 26.5 MB

Reply #4
FWIW, I have a similar issue on my 2003MB.  The outside outlet gets water in it and trips the breaker.  The water has corroded some of the connections making the outlet below the TV intermittent as it's the next outlet downstream. 

For now I have part of a zip-loc bag taped over the outlet cover to prevent water intrusion.  The real fix (for me) is going to be to remove the cover plate (including cutting the factory paint), replace the outlet portion, reseal the cover plate, and replace the gaskets in the flip down covers.

My first sign was intermittent strange behavior at the outlet below the TV (the one opposite the shower in the bathroom).  My second sign was the outlet breaker tripping during rain storms.  If someone has either of these symptoms, suspect water intrusion in the exterior outlet (the one near the water heater) on a MB.

Rich
'03 MB in NC
2003 MB

Reply #5
"I'm thinking that the wind blew some water into either the outside covered receptacles by the door or into the refrigerator compartment and into the unused receptacle."

folivier

You might want to use something like this:

Amazon.com : 36 Lot Electrical Outlet Covers Child Proof Safety New :...

or these: Amazon.com : Plug Covers Outlet Protectors Set of 8 : Baby

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #6
Hmm.  My outside outlets have been in much nasty weather for the past 9 years, and have stayed dry.  Hopefully you will be able to check all gaskets for any damage, so they will seal when you get them dry.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #7
I ran into the same thing with my 2003 midbath a few years ago: the outside outlet got wet and the GFCI kept tripping. I removed the outlet, blew it out with canned air, then let it dry. Then I reinstalled it, bedding it with butyl tape.

First time I did this, I used too much butyl, and the outlet wouldn't seat properly. I had to pull it off and redo it, using a smaller amount. As with any sealant, more is not necessarily better! (OK, technically butyl isn't a sealant... but you get the point.)
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"