Skip to main content
Topic: Calling an ambulance (Read 202 times) previous topic - next topic
Calling an ambulance
We were in a huge COE park last night. The gate advised us that if we had to call 911 in an emergency to tell them our site number. This is because under the "protections" of HIPAA the ambulance driver could not ask where we were parked by using our name.

PS, we don't need medical assistance. Just throwing this out for your information.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Re: Calling an ambulance
Reply #1
If I'm remembering correctly dad and I were told the same thing when camping in Denali NP. But I think it was more so that the ambulance could locate us if we needed assistance.
Daughter of the first Lazy Bones
Hitting the road on my own and with a friend 🚐 while reporting back to the Lazy Bones at home 🛋

2 Lazy Bones - Home

Reply #2
This is because under the "protections" of HIPA the ambulance driver could not ask where we were parked by using our name.

The only "HIPA" I found Googling was a photography contest.
Hamdan Bin Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum International Photography Award

Were you referring to HIPPA  (also known as the The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act)?

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Here's a link to official information about HIPAA.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
Forgive me, Yes double-A, HIPPA. There are so many government entities and laws I can not keep up. This one affords lots of privacy, such as requiring the door of the exam room to be closed to prevent another patient from over-hearing. Requiring you to stand back at the pharmacy so another customer can not learn the purpose of your visit.

But the point of my post was alert you to that if you call an ambulance to a campground, be sure to tell them your site number since privacy rights prevent the driver from asking for you by name.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #5
If you are in a State Park, the camp host may not know your site.

If you are in a commercial CG, the office may be closed at night.

Either way, it should save time if the ambulance driver knows your site!
Steve and Annette
2019 TK 24

Reply #6
Forgive me, Yes double-A, HIPPA. There are so many government entities and laws I can not keep up. This one affords lots of privacy, such as requiring the door of the exam room to be closed to prevent another patient from over-hearing. Requiring you to stand back at the pharmacy so another customer can not learn the purpose of your visit.

But the point of my post was alert you to that if you call an ambulance to a campground, be sure to tell them your site number since privacy rights prevent the driver from asking for you by name.

HIPPA says that you can't personally identify a person with a disease.   You can identify the person or the disease but not together.      I do know many many many folks  that write policy manuals don't understand or misunderstand this law.
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King