Skip to main content
Topic: Big Foot Levelers (Read 1022 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Re: Replacing Blue Ox...
Big Foot Levelers
  I need to ask the group about installing levelers. On my previous coach I had kwikee levelers and truly enjoyed the convenience and reliability of that brand. I understand that they no longer exist as an option as they have gone out of business. Big foot levelers seem to be what is being used most prevalently. Does anyone have any suggestions about purchase and installation that they would recommend? I live in the L.A. Area but will travel for good service.
  HWH has levelers too I see. Any opinions about those?
Dale from Downey.
Dale from Downey 27’ 2012 RB,”Casa Verde”, 2000 Jeep Wrangler. Formerly1991 RB & 1990 Jeep Wrangler.

Re: Big foot levelers
Reply #1
When we had our 2002 MB we decided to add levelers.  After much reading, we chose the Quadra Bigfoot system with independent pumps and reservoirs at each jack.  We had Major Wingfield (M&B Enterprises) in Yuma install them as he was a recommended installer.  I don't know if he still installs them, but a call to Quadra for a recommendation would be a good idea.  This is a trade off with these as longer rams will hang down lower, but give more lift capability.  I think a couple of our were about 6-1/2 above the road when retracted, but we never had a clearance issue.  We were very happy with this system.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #2
I too have the quasar Bigfoot levelers, and have been using them full time since 2009.  I am pleased with them and would not be without them.  I have occasionally needed to re-program "level" but other than that, they have been trouble free.  I got mine installed in Lakeland, FL, so I am not much help on installers.  As Art said, calling the Bigfoot people should be useful in finding an installer.

Ken F in WY (last day here)
'08 MB

Reply #4
Hi, Dale--

I love my Big Feet!  As a solo woman it's so nice to know I can just pick up & go if something is ever sketchy (though it's never happened), that I'm not out in the weather dealing with blocks, etc.  Since I'm in north Missouri, I went to the company headquarters in White Pigeon, Michigan. 

The staff was wonderful--installation took about a half day & they explained everything very well.  Since I have a 30' TB, weight is an issue, & they helped me through the decision of just going with one reservoir to operate all four jacks.  Mine work in tandem--both front/both rear/both L/both R, so it took a bit to learn to level...I carry my dad's 24" level that I put on the flip up table between the barrel chairs to start (it's big enough to easily see from the front where they put the control box under the driver's seat), and also a little torpedo level that I use when checking the fridge (since it's on the opposite side from the table).  I do carry some 2x6 & 4x4 scraps (just a bit bigger than the Feet)--the street was crowned so much in front of my aunt's retirement facility in Denver that the curbside was too low to level, or in case of really soft ground in the pasture out at the farm.

Also, service was wonderful the one time I needed it:  It was a three day trip back from White Pigeon & though I'd had no problems using the Feet, I noticed a small circle of something under the rig in the driveway at home.  I called, they told me to find somebody who works on hydraulics, so I went to one of the ag equipment guys in town--he talked with Quadra in White Pigeon, they authorized him to do the work, he came to my house & tightened some fittings/topped off the reservoir in about 20 minutes & was gone.  I never saw a bill or anything, and when I talked with him later he said everything went very smoothly getting paid by Quadra.

By the by--I want to tell you THX, again, for your generosity in going to put eyeballs on my rig almost four years ago (Dec. 2013).  Your assistance, along with all the info I'd soaked up from the old site/Andy's site/etc., was such a blessing as I made the leap.  I hope to get out to Morro Bay some spring, or at least go exploring the wonderful places all you west-of-the-Rockies folks discuss, so hope to someday put a face with your name.   :)

Lynne
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #5
We will have the fully automatic Big-Foot system installed by Major Wingfield (M&B) in Yuma.  We made the decision to go with Major after discussion with the Quadra factory and recommendations from other LDO members   Major told me last week that he is currently booked up through October.  We made an appointment for early December.  We will be traveling from Ventura CA with a stay at Indian Cove in Joshua Tree on our return home.  Major offered to let us park and stay the night in his shop bay with electrical hook-up on our arrival.  There are other Quadra Big-Foot dealers close to us, but we decided to go the distance.

Major asked for measurements  from the ground to the bottom of the floor at the locations where the pistons will be located (behind the rear spring shackles and front of house behind the cab).  This will give him the info he needs to order the correct piston stroke length for our rig.  I will get the measurements next week after we take delivery of our new MB.

Jeff
2017 MB

Reply #7
Saw a LD at HWH in Moscow, Iowa having levelers installed/serviced. Ours had a part fail so we were in for warranty service. HWH has free ONP, some with power and a DS, a nice waiting area with wifi and hot coffee and friendly, responsive staff. The system works well...we use hosspads under the jacks for added stability. Having levelers really has improved our experience, however, they take some getting used to, (Not always 100% automatic).
Todd (and Steve)
'17 Winnebago Minnie Winnie and '13 Honda CRV
(Former '99 RB owners from 2012-2016)

Reply #8
Here's another vendor.  Dual-stage jacks so lift is high and so is ground clearance when retracted.

Installing an E&P Hydraulic Leveling System in our Class B RV!

Chip

Those will run you at least 2X what Equalizer or Bigfoot will (we were quoted over $7K for our LTV), and they are brand new to installing them here in the US on Sprinters.  No history on E450s....

Reply #9
We, too, had Major Wingfield install our Big Foot levelers in May, 2006 on our 2006 26.5 RB.   Never had a bit of problem with them.   Dips and driveways are taken with care, usually at an angle, so never had them "drag".    We highly recommend them.

Juli W
2006 26.5 RB
Minden, NV
Juli W.
Former owner 1994 mid bath,  2006 26.5'rear bath

Reply #10
We are considering having Big Foot Levelers installed.  Has anyone successfully used an installer in Texas (home base), New Mexico or Arizona (planning on going to Quartzite in January)?  If so, please provide contact information.  For those that have levelers, are you satisfied with them?  Do you think that the automatic type is worth the price over the manual adjustable leveler?  Are there any other levelers that we should consider?
Ross Taylor
2017 MB

Reply #11
We are considering having Big Foot Levelers installed.  Has anyone successfully used an installer in Texas (home base), New Mexico or Arizona (planning on going to Quartzite in January)?  If so, please provide contact information.  For those that have levelers, are you satisfied with them?  Do you think that the automatic type is worth the price over the manual adjustable leveler?  Are there any other levelers that we should consider?

Take a look at the recent thread on Big Foot.

Big foot levelers

Jim

Reply #12
One thing to remember when adding the leveling system. Is your CCC will be decreased by about 175 lbs the weight of the system. Sometimes this is forgotten with add on’s.
Lynn and Lori

Reply #13
Depending on how far rearward the back rams are located, they can hit the ground on rough roads.
The worse damage seen has come from hitting Mexican topes (cannon balls set into the pavement), used as speed bumps.
I have cut two rear rams off, through the years, after being mangle by a tope or large rock. Both had been welded to the E450's frame, making a mess of things, after the impact.
I have also removed several inoperative leveling systems after an unavailable part broke.
Stay with either HWH or Bigfoot, both long term suppliers. Ignore the newcomers, they probably will be gone in a few years, making replacement parts unavailable..
Do search for the best installers, it is very easy to screw up the installation up, causing problems for the life of the system.
Avoid the cheapest bid, it takes time for a clean installation.

Know how to retract a broken or inoperative ram so you, or a good samaritan, can crawl under the rig and manually raise it, usually after removing the hydraulic lines (making a big mess), then tying the ram up with wire, until repairs can be made.
I have done this several times at the end of a LD Caravan Club GTG, when someone discovers their ram(s) will not retract.
The option is waiting for a traveling RV repair person to be summons. It could be a very long wait.

LDs have limited room for leveling rams and do not have the long travel rams used in bigger rigs and are not always convenient to use.
Realize that levelers can still require getting getting muddy and dirty.
Often boards and/or blocks need to be placed under the rams, when used on soft or wet ground or when the slope is too great for the ram's limited lift to level. Many parks require boards under the rams, when parked on grass or soft surfaces.
The rams are located well under the rig and require getting down on your knees to place the boards or blocks.
Lots of laughs on a rainy night.

While hydraulic levelers are very convenient, they are in the same category as slides, another complex electromechanical device to fail.
When either fails, extended, you are dead in the water.

One of the advantages of LD ownership is having a simple, well built RV, with fewer things to go wrong.
More complex gadgets, more potential problems.
Never had a Lynx block or leveling board fail in 22 years of LDing.
YMMV

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #14
"Never had a Lynx block or leveling board fail in 22 years of LDing"
---
A corollary to Larry's point: Lynx blocks are the toughest and most durable 'stackers'.  They are inexpensive, don't take much space to store, offer a variety of configurations, and work on many surfaces. The yellow cheapos are useless, IMO; they crack and/or shatter and 'creep' on pavement and gravel. 

YMMV, as ever.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #15
Like you, I'm researching replacement levelers, due to my old Kwickees going belly up after 18 years. I talked at length with a repair person in Auburn, Ca., who has a sterling reputation. I asked about the two most often used, HWH and Bigfoot. He was strongly  on the side of HWH, since the company taking over a lot of the alternative [Lipert?] doesn't have the best reputation amongst installers. I think Bigfoot is now manufactured by them?? For me, weight is an issue as I have a 31ft. IB. And, I really prefer manual over auto, as I want to tailer my leveling...I always 'tilt' a tad to the front passenger corner to avoid Lake Steve filling up in the center of the rig. I had a mysterious leak awhile back that only leaked when flat level, meaning the center was filling up to some point where there was an inlet for water standing on the roof. I have since corrected that [at least so far it seems...grin],  but I keep that in mind now.

I also understand that the Bigfoot has pumps at each leveler, whereas the HWH has one central reservoir and pump..seems a lot less to go wrong, but still looking into it. Would love any remarks from those who have either setup..it's a big ticket item and want to make the

best choice for my situation.

At 07:16 AM 10/25/2017, you wrote:

We are considering having Big Foot Levelers installed. Has anyone successfully used an installer in Texas (home base), New Mexico or Arizona >(planning on going to Quartzite in January)? If so, please provide contact information. For those that have levelers, are you satisfied with them? Do you think that the automatic type is worth the price over the manual adjustable leveler? Are there any other levelers that we should consider? Ross Taylor

Posting Information:

Ross and Beverly Taylor started the topic 'Big Foot Levelers' on the >' Lazy Daze Technical' Board.
You can reply to this email and have it posted as a topic reply.
LDO Links:

index.php?action=notifyboard;board=2.0 Regards, The Lazy Daze Owners Team

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire "CHERRYOTTE" our litte red home on wheels "Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire
"CHERRYOTTE" our little red home on wheels
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."

Reply #16
Bigfoot levelers are made by Quadra Manufacturing; whether they use Lippert components, I don't know, but  a call to the manufacturer would provide that information.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #17
My 26 foot midbath came with the MWH levelers and have been great for the past ten years.
2009 Kodiak 32 foot Island Bed

Re: Big Foot Levelers
Reply #18
As a long-time Luddite, levelers are just one more heavy, expensive, complicated piece of an RV that will fail at an inopportune moment. Many members here love them, but after almost 30 years of leveling campers, fifth wheels, and the Lazy Daze, it really isn't  a big deal, even in the rain or wet ground. In a suspect situation, just drive off the blocks and go elsewhere. I like 2x10 wood planks. They stack nicely under a tire, are inexpensive, and when they finally crack, they make easy kindling for the fire.
When we pull into a site, my young bride grabs the level and tells me where to place the blocks. 3 to 5 minutes later the MH is level and we concern ourselves with the ideas like "Shall we take a walk?" or "what's  for dinner?"
Years ago, I pulled into a boondock site in Oregon with a truck camper and young wife and 3 little kids. I set the  camper jacks down to the ground to level and reduce the movement an we later went to bed. About 3am, two truckloads of drunken white trash pulled in on either side of us, yelled and made all kinds of noise, pee-ed on my tires, and were generally threatening and disruptive. My wife and kids were scared. I took out a long filet knife and stepped outside and just waited in silence and watched. I was scared too, but my family was inside. I couldn't  leave because the truck camper was sitting on its jacks. Eventually they lost interest and drove away. If I had leveled on blocks, I'd  have just driven off the blocks and gone elsewhere.
We now ALWAYS travel armed.
For the money, I'd  rather have 3 more inches of clearance or a limited slip dif.
YMMV
HD
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #19
I chatted with the owner of Quadra while having my Bigfoot Levelers installed on my 2017 MB.  He tries very hard to have as many of the components as possible be USA made.  It is my recollection that the fully automatic, four pump system has a control board made in China.  He could not find a USA manufacturer.  I had the single pump system installed by his crew.  My previous LD had the fully automatic, but I felt I did not need the extra weight or four pumps (thus the name Quadra).

Over 1/2 of their business is wholesale with nearby Elkhart factories bringing rigs to him.  I spent the night in a parking area they have for customers (with electricity and wifi) and the new coaches started arriving early in the morning and were getting swapped out throughout the day.

Quadra is a small company that  seems to be focused on manufacturing and selling a quality product and very interested in a long term customer relationship.  If you plan to go with Bigfoot, I would strongly suggest letting them do the installation.  These guys do this all day, every day. 
Charlie Gary
2016 Subaru Forester

Reply #20
I chatted with the owner of Quadra while having my Bigfoot Levelers installed on my 2017 MB.  He tries very hard to have as many of the components as possible be USA made.  It is my recollection that the fully automatic, four pump system has a control board made in China.  He could not find a USA manufacturer.  I had the single pump system installed by his crew.  My previous LD had the fully automatic, but I felt I did not need the extra weight or four pumps (thus the name Quadra).

Over 1/2 of their business is wholesale with nearby Elkhart factories bringing rigs to him.  I spent the night in a parking area they have for customers (with electricity and wifi) and the new coaches started arriving early in the morning and were getting swapped out throughout the day.

Quadra is a small company that  seems to be focused on manufacturing and selling a quality product and very interested in a long term customer relationship.  If you plan to go with Bigfoot, I would strongly suggest letting them do the installation.  These guys do this all day, every day.
Thanks for this helpful testimonial, Charlie.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #21
Hi, My wife and I plan on having Bigfoots installed next year in Florida at the Lakeland factory. We also have a 27MB which we love. A long wait to get be will worth it‼️ I’m thinking approximately 4000$ install, sound close? Thanks. Tim
2017 MB

Reply #22
The quote I got was $4,500.
Dale from Downey 27’ 2012 RB,”Casa Verde”, 2000 Jeep Wrangler. Formerly1991 RB & 1990 Jeep Wrangler.

Reply #23
I'm keeping my eye open for a wrecked MH I can pull the levelers from.  Not a fan of the $4.5K solution.

Chip
2000 Front Lounge

Reply #24
I'm keeping my eye open for a wrecked MH I can pull the levelers from.  Not a fan of the $4.5K solution.
I suggest finding a couple of LDs to look at, one equipped with straight rams, the other with kick-down rams.
Measure the size of each ram and then look for used rams the same size.
LDs have limited room for the rams and use shorter rams than many other RVs.
Longer straight rams will hang too low, longer kick-up rams will not have enough room to full extend before hitting the ground.
Stay far way from Kwikee levelers, they are obsolete and not well built. Repair parts are probably not available.
Stay with Bigfoot or HWH, you will have a much better chance of finding repair parts

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze