Skip to main content
Topic: Newbie: No power in LD (Read 184 times) previous topic - next topic
Newbie: No power in LD
I was packing to go camping this am, and I have no power inside the RV.
Yes, I'm a newbie.

I have taken 2 short overnight trips in the LD, with no problems. This has not been a problem until today. Even the generator sounds 'anemic' as it tries to start, and won't kick on. I have kept the RV batteries properly filled with distilled water. I have 2 solar panels. The RV is sitting largely in shade, thanks to my shaded driveway.

Do you have any idea what I've done? If I just start driving, will the Ford charge the RV batteries?

Thanks,
Denise
'05 RB

Re: Newbie: No power in LD
Reply #1
Denise, I have a few questions.  First, is the gas tank well above 1/4 tank?  If not, the generator may not be getting gas.  Second, has your generator been serviced?  You could have a fouled plug, air filter, carburetor or fuel line.  Third, have you been running the generator under load for 2 hours every month?  That is needed to avoid carburetor problems and generator corrosion problems.  Fourth, there is an altitude adjustment on your generator.  Make sure it is set properly for the altitude where you are.  If none of these address the issue you need a generator service person.

Now, power.  When you plug into shore power, do you then have power inside?  If not, you may have a problem with your automatic transfer switch.  That is not "do-it-yourself" unless you are comfortable working on 120v AC current.

If you have power when plugged in, that should get your batteries charged up. 

When you say you have no power, does that mean your 12 volt lights do not come on?  If so, check the fuses and the hidden 12 volt circuit breaker (no, I can't tell you where it is, but it is usually not far from the batteries).  If you have a volt meter, what is the voltage from your batteries?

Driving the Ford should charge your batteries, but if you have some other problem, it may not be wise to hit the road until you determine what is wrong.

Do some diagnostics and let us know.  We may then be able to help you more.

Ken F in WY
'08 MB