Skip to main content
Topic: Please help me convince my husband of the virtues of Lazy Daze! (Read 283 times) previous topic - next topic
Please help me convince my husband of the virtues of Lazy Daze!
Hello Lazy Daze people,

I’m hoping that someone in the Bay Area with a Lazy Daze will let us come look at it. Here’s the background:

I need a small Lazy Daze to take my father on a few last long camping trips to the Rockies. He’s 90—he and my mother spent the last quarter of their lives camping in a 27-foot Holiday Rambler trailer, mostly in Glacier, Montana. We were brought up there in the summers, and he knows every trail by heart. My mother died a month ago, and I want to take my father back to the places he loves best. He’d need lots of windows because he can’t hike any more, plus Glacier weather can be awful. A Lazy Daze is the only RV I can imagine him liking.

My initial plan was to buy one for $8,000, which is what we could have scraped up. But when I posted an inquiry in Classifieds, the LD community was pretty clear on that odds of that happening. My next plan was to sell the artifacts and paintings that my parents bought in the 1950s, while teachers in Occupied Japan. After extensive research, I found that the proceeds would get us a totaled Thor at best.

So my final, desperate plan is to sell our perfectly rehabilitated (finally) 13-foot Uhaul fiberglass egg trailer and low-mileage 2005 V8 4Runner, thereby amassing the funds for a 1999 or newer Lazy Daze. While we love our set-up, living in it with my father would not be conducive to cordial relations.

However, my husband doesn’t think that an RV could measure up to the versatility, ease, and sheer delight of our current rig. That my father will be able to travel in the spring is not guaranteed, and my husband is worried that if we sell our nimble egg, we’ll be stuck with an ungainly RV for the rest of our lives even if we can’t take my father.

Therefore, I need to show my husband a Lazy Daze in the Bay Area. I am hoping that one of you lives here and is willing to talk up your Lazy Daze whilst demonstrating its virtues. The 24’ twin-king is my favorite, followed by the 27’ mid-bath (which I hope would allow a measure of separation from Dad), but we’d be grateful for the chance  to look at anything under 27 feet long (we camp often in primitive campsites, so under 25’ would be best, but there apparently aren’t that many short ones).

This quest is not going to be simple. We’d have to locate someone willing to sell us their well-maintained Lazy Daze for not more than $25,000, and then sell our rig to pay for it, which could be hard to arrange—or get interim financing somehow. We don’t want to sell first and then end up with nothing because we couldn’t find a Lazy Daze.

Despite the fact that it has more money and fewer window-leak issues, the LD community is much like the one around Uhaul CT13 fiberglass trailers—enthusiastic and helpful. So if anyone out there would like to show us their Lazy Daze or has had a change of circumstance and is thinking of selling it, please let me know! Thanks very much.

Re: Please help me convince my husband of the virtues of Lazy Daze!
Reply #1
I've mentioned renting before and I'm now more convinced now that this is a good solution to your predicament.  At least do one trip with a rental to see how well it works out for you father.  Another type of trial run could involve a car trip and renting
a cabin or something rustic at the appropriate destination.   How well your father will tolerate these trips would seem to be in question.

My impression is that your qwest for an LD is more important to you then anyone else.  If you were more flexible on the manufacturer your chances of getting a good buy on a suitable rig would be better since you would have hundreds to choose from in your area.

Selling your primary transportation vehicle for a motorhome?  That makes no sense if that is what you are saying.  Your husband appears to be a very patient and tolerant man with good judgement.  He deserves some recognition as we work our way through this questionable situation once again.      Frank

plan B - 2023 Travato

Reply #2
"At least do one trip with a rental to see how well it works out for you father.  Another type of trial run could involve a car trip and renting a cabin or something rustic at the appropriate destination."
----
Sound advice; hope the OP heeds it.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Frank, I appreciate your opinion, but I'd actually like to hear from someone who's willing to show us their Lazy Daze so that my husband (as you guessed, a very patient and tolerant man of good judgment) might make an informed decision. Of course, if I were asking him to sell our primary transportation for a second-rate motorhome, rather than our dream trailer for a dream RV, he might not be so tolerant.

Perhaps you are right--my quest for an LD is more important to me than anyone else. That doesn't make it wrong. There will be no trial with my father. I'm afraid. This will be a one-time adventure in the spring--I hope for a couple of months. A cabin or rental would not work with my father--take my word for it--and we'd still have to sell something to afford it and be left with nothing.

I do appreciate your intentions. But I also hope that you won't feel burdened by a continued obligation to, as you say, "work our way through this questionable situation once again." Because I'm going to keep working on it. In the meantime, I'd love to hear from people who believe an LD is worth trying for and would like to show us theirs.

Reply #4
It does simplify things to just say you are interested in a certain unit in a given price range in a particular area.   Frank
plan B - 2023 Travato

Reply #5
Lindlvw,
I was not interested in buying a Lazy Daze (or any other motorhome), although I clearly understood how the quality build of the Lazy Daze makes other class C motorhomes pale by comparison. I was quite content with our old 4X4 diesel truck and Lance Camper.

My wife wanted the Lazy Daze.  A lot.  She kept talking about it and explaining how it would be more comfortable for her on trips. She can be persistent and convincing. She really likes the twin couches with the surrounding big windows in the back of the MB model.

Did I mention that she can be convincing?  Happy wife = Happy life.  We found a 2014 MB and bought it the same day.  She loves it.  I like it. 

It is well built and drives well. Wind doesn't affect it nearly as much as it does other rigs.  The low roof is nice for passing under trees in campsites. The interior features are well thought out and functional. The E-450/V-10 eats too much fuel, lacks torque,  and is relatively under-powered compared to a diesel, but it is what it is and is adequate for its purpose. The low clearance underneath and proximity of the dump valves to the ground was a concern for me, but has not yet been a problem. 

The support provided by the other members of this forum is really exceptional and a huge help for fellow owners.
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #6
Thanks, BlueOx25. I am encouraged by your wife's example and your good outcome.

And Frank, I'm wordy. To be brief, I'm hoping to view a 1999 or later 24' twin-king or 27' mid-bath (which I hope would allow a measure of separation from Dad), but we'd be grateful for the chance  to look at anything under 27 feet long. We are in the Bay Area and are heading north soon with our current trailer and truck.

Reply #7
Hi lindlvw,

I also live in the bay area -- the south bay specifically -- and have a blue 27'  2002 mid bath. If you are interested in looking at it, let me know and we can discuss details off-line.

David
RV: 2002 MB
Toad: 2014 CR-V

Reply #8
Thanks, David! Could you please tell me how to get in touch with you offline? Linda

Reply #9
Thanks, David! Could you please tell me how to get in touch with you offline? Linda

Scroll to the top navigation bar, click/tap on the envelope icon, select "Send Message", type David's name in the "To" field and select him from the list.  Continue with the message as you would any email.

Matt

Reply #10
Thanks Matt. You would think I could have figured that out, but no.

Reply #11
lindlvw,

The easiest method is to use a personal message from the LDO forum.\ David

--

davehrrs@gmail.com
(408) 206-8800

This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
AVG 2017 | FREE Antivirus & TuneUp for PC, Mac, Android
RV: 2002 MB
Toad: 2014 CR-V

Reply #12
I think that's what I did when I thought I was doing the other thing. I'll just try using your email--thanks!