Skip to main content
Topic: My "virgin" trip (Read 520 times) previous topic - next topic
My "virgin" trip
Don't get me wrong! I am (if everything goes as planned) picking up my new-to-me 2007 24' Lazy Daze - mid dinette, on Oct 2, 2017 and driving from Milton, Florida to Waterloo, IA to Duluth, MN to Williston ND and then back home to Boulder County, Colorado.

My RV experience consists of borrowing one from a friend for a week a couple of years ago. Now I am all-of-a-sudden completely in charge of a beautiful machine! I am a pretty close to 60 y.o. single woman just out to learn how to manage an RV by myself and explore this beautiful country that we are blessed with.

I've been researching everything I can think of, so feel somewhat informed. What I am looking for is advise from you experts that no one talks about. As much as I hate to admit it, I'm not real mechanically inclined.

If y'all have anything to suggest on anything, I'd love to hear it!

Hope to meet up with many of you soon!

Bootscooter

Cecilia
2007 24' FD

Re: My "virgin" trip
Reply #1
Cecilia,

Welcome! Congratulations on your imminent purchase and maiden voyage! You've come to the right place for Lazy Daze wisdom and support. If you haven't yet, you should spend some time with the 'Lazy Daze Companion'. It has much of the collective wisdom and experience of owners in one easy to use place.  Safe Travels!

The Lazy Daze Companion: What’s This All About?

Bill
Bill
2003 -- 23' FL

Reply #2
Cecilia--

Congratulations & welcome!  I did something similar four years ago (59)...only previous RV experience was a trip with my folks as a kid, and a few family reunions with my folks (they bought a Pace Arrow in the 80s; Dad did everything & Mother was just long for the ride...she sold it right after he died in '96 because "women can't do that by themselves").

I took Amtrak from Kansas City to Fullerton, CA, though I took a pretty direct trip home because it was December, I had commitments, & wanted to miss an approaching ice storm.  Didn't know what I'd need, so took practically everything but the kitchen sink--sheets/pillow/blanket, towels, some tools--in the hope that if I had problems a Good Samaritan could use them, a bit of kitchen stuff, & I forget what else + clothes/toiletries for two weeks.  LDy Lulubelle's previous family was so gracious--they included the bed & bath linens they had in her, plus had paper plates/cups/plasticware in the cupboards.

This is the BEST place to be--knowledge/experience/problem solving & laughter are shared generously & graciously.  I don't know if you have internet with you--I didn't, but McD's/Starbucks/Panera/public libraries/etc. have been great.  I have rarely used campgrounds while traveling; I have spent the night in several Walmart Parking lots; hospitals are great because they are well-lighted & usually have some security (cameras/patrols/etc.), highway rest stops on occasion--though I generally avoid the interstates because I prefer seeing the small towns off the interstates (some, like Chanute, KS, offer free camping in their city parks--& some even have electricity/H2O)...I've found some good spots on this site  Free Camping Near You | Go Camping for Free!

Oh, & connect with Lauralee Scholes, the wagonmistress for Ladeze: Ladeze.LazyDaze@gmail.com
...a great gaggle of gals who are soooo smart & fun &, &, &--well, there aren't enough adjectives--I really missed Ladeze this year, but I've been whacking brush for four months & still not done...hoping I get back next year.

Have a wonderful trip!  

Lynne
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #3
So wonderful to hear of your experiences! Thank you!
Cecilia
2007 24' FD

Reply #4
Sounds like a wonderful first trip, Bootscooter. You made me think of our first big RV trip - from California to New Hampshire and back. That was in our first RV before we upgraded to our LD. But, my wife and I learned something on that big trip that really helped us with the RVings we've done in the 5 years since that first trip - so maybe it will help you enjoy your adventure even more.

What we learned is to stop worrying about every little thing.

The thing is that the Lazy Daze (true of most RVs) has built-in redundancies on almost all systems. And this means that if something goes wrong with one thing, something else will be available to get you by until you can figure out why the other thing isn't working right.

And most things that go wrong aren't that difficult to get working again. Like others have pointed out there are wonderful resources on this forum and other sites - and plenty of helpful folks. As soon as you can get online, you can access it all.

So, we now enjoy RVing a lot more than we first started because when something goes wrong or seems wrong, it turns out to be pretty easy to figure out and get working again. It's even sometimes fun to figure out and fix minor problems. And if you can't figure it out, there's usually somebody around who can - campgrounds are especially good for this.

Have a great trip!
Jim & Deb
Santa Cruz, CA
2016 TK

Reply #5
As a side bar to what Jim said, I would add...if you haven't already done so, take a look at your power center, refrigerator and chassis FUSE REQUIREMENTS. Then head on over to a good DIY Center, Home Depot or Lowes and triple up on each fuse that you will need if one blows out.

Fuses can be very difficult to find when your up in the mountains (voice of experience here). I keep the requisite refrigerator fuses in a baggie and Velcro'ed to the wall inside the outdoor access door. Always there and no hunting about the junk drawer or tool box needed.

Enjoy yourself and may the "peace of mind" be with you.

Kent 
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #6
I never worry about the fridge as I have a backup!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #7
"I never worry about the fridge as I have a backup!"

Just like my original one, except mine had a white top - better for reflecting sunlight.

Virtual hugs,

Judie  <-- Sierra Vista, Arizona
   Adventures of Dorrie Anne | Photographing the West

Today:  Tomato Ears

Reply #8
I just brought my new to me LD from Indiana to California this week. I posted on irv for advice before I embarked on the trip (actually my sister and brother in law drove it most of the way) and lots of people gave helpful advice.
2006 RB

Reply #9
"I never worry... as I have a backup!"

I also have a backup of that very same style, but mine should be in a museum and not a motor home.   ;)  ;D
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #10
"I never worry... as I have a backup!"

I also have a backup of that very same style, but mine should be in a museum and not a motor home.  ;)  ;D
Mine is 43 yrs old. Here's a blurb from the Internet: Coleman Steel Belted Product Description

A genuine art craft engineered with full steel base and lid covered with assorted colored plastic, the Coleman 54 Quart Steel Belted Cooler has 85 can loading capacity. It is made with sturdy stainless steel handles molded with rubber grips for ease and comfort during transportation secured with a solid steel latch, rust-resistant hinges, and screws which make this Coleman Cooler undeniably strong. Coleman Steel Coolers were originally manufactured in 1954 attesting to its 60- years in gear business. The steel belted cooler is the American camping classic. Camping and picnics may not be as fun without the Coleman coolers on the trunk. This cooler is back with latest features and innovations to keep ice up to 3 days even in high temperatures.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #11
"Mine is 43 yrs old."

Well Chris...

You'd best take the diapers off your Coleman chest, it's only middle age!

My Coleman went into service in, as near as I can recall, 1961 or 62 when my family 1st started tent camping with a heavy canvas 'cabin' tent out of the back of a 1961 Chevy Malibu Wagon.   ;D
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #12
My Coleman went into service in, as near as I can recall, 1961 or 62 when my family 1st started tent camping with a heavy canvas 'cabin' tent out of the back of a 1961 Chevy Malibu Wagon.   ;D

A small technicality, Steve, but you may want to check your dates.  I believe the first Malibu's were manufactured in '64.

I used to own two '65's.  Great cars!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #13
"... but you may want to check your dates."

My bad! See, that's what age does for a person.

Nearly complete retraction of my previous post... can't have any Fake News on this board.

Your are correct HiLola, my Malibu was a '66 (not '61) and a darned nice station wagon it was too! That was the year I returned to Keesler AFB after a stint on Guam.

It carried a ton of camping equipment plus the whole family when we went camping in the Mississippi boondocks just north of Biloxi.  :)  Those were the good ole days, plenty of Armadillos and snakes!   :o

And that Coleman cooler, now retired in the garden shed, did it's share of work keeping the family comfortable.
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #14
Vintage Coleman camping equipment may be more valuable than you think.
A member here recently sold an old Coleman stove to someone who exports and sells vintage camping gear in Japan.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #15
"A member here recently sold an old Coleman stove ..."

Hey hey, who knew?

I had a Primus (made in Sweden in original box) taking up space I needed for other stuff, so I gave it to a friend of mine. I told him he might want to check the collectors market but I didn't want the hassle of finding it a new home.   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #16
Larry W wrote: "A member here recently sold an old Coleman stove to someone who exports and sells vintage camping gear in Japan."

Do tell.  I've got a few older Coleman things I'd like to turn into better-than-garage-sale cash. Can anyone point me to that buyer, either by post or in a PM?  These are 'experienced' pieces with patina, not new-in-box gentleman-camper attic-dwellers.

Chip 
2000 Front Lounge