Skip to main content
Topic: Replacing Blue Ox Rubber Boots (Read 218 times) previous topic - next topic
Replacing Blue Ox Rubber Boots
I am replacing the boots on our Aventa LX bar. After cleaning the bars they recommend lithium grease be applied. I happen to have on hand spray on lithium grease. Any ideas if that is OK or not?

Jim

Re: Replacing Blue Ox Rubber Boots
Reply #1
I am replacing the boots on our Aventa LX bar. After cleaning the bars they recommend lithium grease be applied. I happen to have on hand spray on lithium grease. Any ideas if that is OK or not?
Use the spray.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Got around to replacing the boots and it's relatively easy until you try and get the new boots on. You remove the knuckle which is attached by the one bolt, spray the inside of the boot with silicone and then good luck. After breaking a couple of thumbnails I got it about an inch down.

Called blue ox and the support guy said he had used pliers but you have to be careful not to damage the boot. I recalled I had slip joint pliers with rubber protection on the jaws and that made it much easier. Once you get the first segment over it is easier but I had to lean my upper body into it to force it down.

Maybe someone else here has found a simpler way but thought I would throw this out there.

Jim

Reply #3
Ken Fears and I replaced my rubber boots one time. We used a spray soapy solution, and that really helped slip it over the knuckle. We didn't actually have to remove the knuckle.

Glad you've got yours figured out.
--
Jan Forseth
2007 27' Midbath named Footloose