Skip to main content
Topic: Gas Shortage (Read 114 times) previous topic - next topic
Gas Shortage
The Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) area is experiencing severe fuel shortages at all stations with many completely out of gas or very long lines at every stations in this area of DFW.  My friends in other parts of DFW are experiencing the same thing.  We can't tell how far the shortage extends, but we'll all know in a few days.   If I was one of the full-timers or on the road right now, I'd practice some thoughtful fuel management.

Re: Gas Shortage
Reply #1
We've been watching the situation closely since we had planned to leave Louisiana today for a couple weeks in New Mexico.
Hopefully we can leave Tuesday and not have any problems getting gas.  Our first fill-up would need to be just east of Dallas....
Hopefully the fuel deliveries can be re-routed out of Oklahoma and Louisiana refineries soon.
Please keep this post active when you get any updated info.
Thanks!
2004 26.5 MB
Enjoying retirement traveling, Rzr riding, photography, and of course the 2 grand girls!

Reply #2
This cut & paste from a local news station.

Hurricane Harvey-fueled gas shortages are starting to spread throughout the Dallas-Fort Worth area.  Fearing dry pumps, many drivers bolted to gas stations after work Wednesday to fill up with gasoline and diesel. That run on the pumps continued Thursday morning with many people hitting several stations before finding one that was still stocked.  The closures of many of the nation's largest refineries and major liquid fuel pipeline has led to shortages and higher prices. Texas Gulf Coast refineries have nearly one-third of the nation's capacity.

The squeeze is also likely to extend beyond Texas with the closure of the Colonial Pipeline, which runs from Houston to suburban New York City. The pipeline's operator announced it closed the line carrying diesel and jet fuel on Wednesday. And the line for gasoline was expected to shut down today.

Harvey-inflicted gasoline shortage spreading in North Texas with dry pumps...

Reply #3
Friends of mine are driving towards New Orleans next week and are facing the same questions about the available of fuel.  So today, we called places along their route from DFW to NO and so far, these other cities are reporting fuel.  So I'd suggest that travelers going into gas shortage areas use the same strategy.  For example, fill up in Shreveport or Tyler, TX. and then you'd be good until Abilene, TX. or some such place.   My point is to call ahead and for now, don't plan on finding fuel in the immediate DFW area.   We still haven't heard about gas shortage in the Austin or San Antonio areas.  Hope this helps.

Reply #4
Cut & Paste:

SHERMAN, Tex. (KXII) - Our area's primary gas supplier has a message for those panicked drivers rushing to fill their tanks when they normally would not do so - please stop doing so.

Douglass Distributing released this statement regarding community concern on the area's fuel supply.

"Douglass Distributing and Lone Star Food Stores would like to educate everyone on the current fuel shortage that we are experiencing.

"The shortage is a result of a southern refinery shutting down temporarily during the storms of Hurricane Harvey. We want everyone to know that we still have access to plenty of fuel -- the lines that our delivery trucks are waiting in are just much longer because of the refinery shut down.

"There is NO outage. There is fuel. Each delivery is just taking longer right now.

"We want to assure everyone that we have all of our delivery trucks out running 24 hours resupplying our local communities in Northeast Texas and South Eastern Oklahoma.

"We ask all of our neighbors make fuel purchases as you normally would -- the worst thing we can do as a community is all of us showing up at one time to get fuel. This is creating an additional challenge for each delivery.

"If the community reacts that way -- then we may cause the outage at an individual location.

"We do not expect the shortage to last any longer than 1 week."

The statement comes after a rush to gas pumps started around North Texas Wednesday night has left some stations with limited or no gas temporarily.

Reply #5
Thanks Ed, we're thinking by Tuesday things will be better.  I appreciate the info.  For your friends coming down to NO there is no problem here getting fuel.  The local refineries are not affected, well maybe they're working overtime to make up for Texas being down.
2004 26.5 MB
Enjoying retirement traveling, Rzr riding, photography, and of course the 2 grand girls!