Skip to main content
Topic: How do you find propane? (Read 998 times) previous topic - next topic
How do you find propane?
That’s not as silly a question as it may first seem. We travel about half the year, usually into new places, so we have no idea who sells it.

Forget about KOA’s, that would be our absolute last choice.

If we have cell coverage we can Google for propane. But, what if we don’t have cell coverage? That seems to be when we get low.

Garmin seldom gets a hit on ‘propane’. Garmin seems to be missing a lot of propane distributors. We are in a place where both AmeriGas and FerrellGas are close by, but Garmin knows nothing of them.

PS Siri is about worthless for locating propane.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Re: How do you find propane?
Reply #1
It's been my experience that most private RV Parks will offer propane or if they do not they will direct you to where it can be had, even KOAs!   :)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
Some towns have propane at either propane suppliers or hardware stores.  Also check at truck stops.
2004 26.5 MB
Enjoying retirement traveling, Rzr riding, photography, and of course the 2 grand girls!

Reply #3
Allstays app.
2003 23.5' Front Dinette

Reply #4
Uhaul dealers often have propane.
Marti
2011 Blue MB
Seattle

Reply #5
+1 on the UHaul dealers.

The Allstays app has an icon indicating propane locations so can be very helpful in this quest.
Ruby, the red 2004 26' RK hauling Dave and Kristine hither and yon

Reply #6
I almost always buy propane at Flying J
2003 MB

Reply #9
Any on the app, propane vendors or parks, or you can go to their website, log in (if having an account) and filter the map for just propane.

Bob, does the app list all sources of propane or just RV parks that have it?

Jim
2003 23.5' Front Dinette

Reply #10
"Bob, does the app list all sources of propane or just RV parks that have it?"

I'm not Bob, but I just tried it on my iPad using my own area, and a red circle with "LP" written in white letters showed up on the map.  This is the local U-Haul place.  Without checking other sources, I know for a fact that there are at least two other commercial places to get propane, along with an RV repair place, at least one large gas station, and at least one campground.  So maybe there are possibilities shown through the app, but not ALL the places that may be able to fill your tank.  Seems restrictive to me.

So . . . I Googled "where to find a propane fill in Sierra Vista, az" . . . and every place I knew about, plus others, popped up.  I understand that this happens ONLY if one has an Internet connection, which might not always be the case.

As usual, close attention to your needs so as to preclude an emergency status, will help you be able to find possibilities at a time when you are lucky enough to have Internet access.  That admonition notwithstanding, I plan to peruse my arsenal of apps to see just which ones might offer assistance without an internet connection in this regard.

Thanks for bringing this up!  ;->

Virtual hugs,

Judie

Reply #11
All good answers, but it does not address how to locate propane from a distance, especially when you don't have cell/wifi coverage. I guess there is just no way to know.
Don & Dorothy

Traveling Dorothy

Reply #12
"All good answers, but it does not address how to locate propane from a distance, especially when you don't have cell/wifi coverage. I guess there is just no way to know."

In trying to think back to pre-historic times when there were no cell phones . . . When I wanted to know something about an area where we were not at that time, I would ask at a visitors' center or a chamber of commerce office wherever I was.  Oftentimes they would know the answer, or at the very least fall all over themselves to help out with acquiring said information.  Pamphlets, pamphlets, and more pamphlets - and flyers and little booklets.  Advertising was done differently then.  There were little real estate for sale booklets everywhere, and they were full of advertisements for services.  Asking at a campground usually produced good information.  And those similar booklets that were full of advertisements and coupons to stay/eat here or there on your journeys were readily available as well.

I don't know how people in those capacities react today, but a compliment about the area, a few pointed questions or remarks about their area, and a smile could usually get me any information I needed to know about almost anything.  If they did not know the answer about a neighboring area, they had these magical books that had listings of telephone numbers!  And they weren't afraid to use them.  At the very least, I would leave armed with pamphlets and telephone numbers to use at a payphone with my prepaid phone card - remember those?

Were those the "good old days"?

Virtual hugs,

Judie

Reply #13
All good answers, but it does not address how to locate propane from a distance, especially when you don't have cell/wifi coverage. I guess there is just no way to know.

On Android or iPhone/iPad you can download a place or section of a map for offline use. So when you do have cell coverage, search for a location, then search for a service, i.e. Propane, choose one, or drop a pin, then choose download for offline use. It will then show up in a list of offline areas for viewing when you have no coverage. You can only view the little section not navigate on it, but at least you have something. Of course you have to anticipate your needs and location while you have coverage.

I tend to use an extend-a-stay with a 20lb tank when parked which can be exchanged anywhere to minimize having to refill the RV tank.

Or use Judie's weird analog method. :)
2003 23.5' Front Dinette

Reply #14
In addition, you can use (when you have coverage) this site

Alternative Fuels Data Center: Alternative Fueling Station Locator
This is the Alternative Fuels Data Center, filter for Propane.
It does not seem complete, but may help.

There are also a Western and Eastern set of POI gpx files for Garmin GPS units  (or other brands) you can download from the POI Factory which show Propane locations and install, however they are based on the AFDC database above.

Alternative Fuel Stations - Western USA | POI Factory
Alternative Fuel Stations - Eastern USA | POI Factory
or
Search | POI Factory

Garmin POI files are fun. I have quite a few installed on my Garmin. You just download the POI Installed from Garmin, connect your GPS to your laptop and install the file. There are many useful files for travel and camping.

2003 23.5' Front Dinette

Reply #15
Filled up this afternoon in Port Clinton, OH.  Went old-school:  I asked at the campground desk, in person. 
First place she looked up in a real phone book.  Turns out I had just come from there, and they only did portable tanks. They didn't know of an RV-filler when I asked them.
Second place -- the lady didn't know the name of the place, but could tell me exactly how to get there. Said I'd know it when I saw it.  Wrote directions for me on a post-it note (newest tech used in this exchange). 
When I arrived at the place, it was a Ferrellgas company store.  I think they're pretty much nationwide.  $12 for the fill-up.

A good ending to our first 'real' camping with our LD.  "Real" camping meaning, full-hookup in a (very nice) state park campground, towing the Mini convertible, and eating fresh perch.  You know, roughing it.  :)

Chip
2000 Front Lounge

Reply #16
I use the Allstays POI files for Propane, Gas Stations with Propane, and RV Parks with Propane.  I downloaded them and installed the POI files on my Garmin GPS.  I can search ahead by entering a destination, then using the POI files, searching near my destination, or I can search near my current route, or I can search near my current location.  No 'net connection needed.  It is NOT as comprehensive as Judy's way, googling where to find propane, but I can usually plan ahead to find a propane source.  Sometimes, a phone number is included, and I can call to verify that they can sell me propane.

Ken F in WY
'08 MB

Reply #17
I use the Allstays POI files for Propane, Gas Stations with Propane, and RV Parks with Propane.  I downloaded them and installed the POI files on my Garmin GPS.  I can search ahead by entering a destination, then using the POI files, searching near my destination, or I can search near my current route, or I can search near my current location.  No 'net connection needed.  It is NOT as comprehensive as Judy's way, googling where to find propane, but I can usually plan ahead to find a propane source.  Sometimes, a phone number is included, and I can call to verify that they can sell me propane.

Ken F in WY

Boy, Ken, could you give a step-by-step of that download and install process for us dummies. Having those Allstays files on the GPS would be terrific. --Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #18
Jon, I use Garmin and an iMac, so this reply is targeted at that equipment.  The general procedure should apply, though. 
First, go to the Garmin site and find and download a file called POI Loader.  Download it and install it on your computer.
Second, create a folder on your computer for POI files.
Third, find and download the POI files you want, and store them in your POI folder.  I have 12 files there.  Some are using CSV format and some use GPX format.  Both are compatible with the Garmin equipment.
Fourth, connect your Garmin GPS to the computer.
Fifth, start the POI Loader file.  It will ask you for the location where you have the POI files.  It may also ask if you want to delete prior POI files.  I do so.  It does not touch other files.  Warning - if  you have POI files already on your GPS but NOT in the POI folder, deleting will make the existing ones all gone.  When you tell the POI Loader file to install the files, they will be transferred to the GPS, but the originals remain on your computer.
Sixth, go through the proper procedures to shut down the POI Loader file and to disconnect the GPS from the computer.

To use the files, the POl files are located on the GPS in a section that may be called "Extras" or "CATEGORIES - POI Files".  Over the years Garmin has used different locations for different models.  Browse around - you will find them.

Ken F in WY
'08 MB

Reply #19
I will be downloading the POI's. They should be helpful.
I had Allstays, I never got much from it and deleted it. Not much on apps.

Today was typical for finding propane

1) In Poncha Springs an address for a distributor was located via Google. There has never been a distributor at the address given. I should have called.

2) Headed to Gunnison. Saw a distributor and pulled in. No one there.

3) Google said there was a FerrellGas. We called the number given, which turned out to be a national call center, they no longer have that location open.

4) Not to be daunted we went to AmeriGas as it was on the way to our destination. They don't service RV's.
We were referred to a campground who filled our tank and did not gouge us on the price.

In another three weeks, the tank will be low and we will get to play the game again.
Maybe the POI's will be helpful.
Don & Dorothy

Traveling Dorothy

Reply #20
The U-Haul place here in Chillicothe doesn't sell propane, but the Ace hardware outlet recently put in a FerrellGas tank.  I usually go to the local MFA/Co-op distributor.  Since I try to avoid the interstates, I tend to use Judie's "prehistoric" method..usually the little towns I pass through can point me to where the farmers get service...or doing what you did here--ask--that's how I found a great repair place in Denver last year, where I also filled (since I'd leaked out most of what I'd filled before leaving Missouri).   ::)

Lynne
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #21
FWIW, in Gunnison, across from the Safeway is a hardware store.  They have propane service there.  The only other Gunnison option that I know of is the KOA.

Ken F in WY
'08 MB

Reply #22
Ken:  a belated thank you for your excellent instructions for downloading Allstays POIs to the Garmin. Can't wait to get home to try it. We're currently in Wells NV with the first non-smoke haze air in two weeks. Idaho looks like LA in the 60s and the scenery we went to see was all hidden in the murk. Of course, there's nothing to see in Wells through all this clear air. 😁 -- Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #23
Jon, head south on 93 to Ely and fill up on propane. Then head a little east on 50 to Great Basin NP. Clear skies and lots of great scenery!  :)
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #24

Ken F in WY

I can't find Allstays POI.  Checked Allstays website and the POI factory with no luck. Can you provide a link?

JIm