Skip to main content
Topic: Odd odor during steep towing/high RPM/slower speeds - 2007 MB (Read 146 times) previous topic - next topic
Odd odor during steep towing/high RPM/slower speeds - 2007 MB
Just returned from our eclipse expedition from Arizona to Idaho, fantastic trip. I noticed, however, during steep climbs over passes and towing a Honda CRV, a temporary odor coming through the vents. It's not a burning smell per se, but it's not normal either. I had the transmission fully serviced and fluid replaced last season. I have about 29,000 miles on the rig. I also have a Banks power kit installed on the engine/exhaust. The smell is very intermittent and transient, but noticeable nevertheless. Engine cooling works fine, but there is a noticeable heat increase felt through the "dog house" to my right foot. No other abnormal indications - just a lot of excess heat. We pulled over 2 gorgeous Colorado mountain passes, ran totally fine, just the odd odor. I thought maybe a packrat nest might be the culprit, but no signs of external debris.

Thoughts?

Re: Odd odor during steep towing/high RPM/slower speeds - 2007 MB
Reply #1
My first thought is fluid on something hot. I'd check the radiator for leaks to include all the hoses.  I'd look for oil spots, making sure the oil filter is tight.  Finally, I'd stop the next time you smell it and follow your nose.  After that, I'd be at a loss.  Let us know the outcome.

Btw ... welcome to the LDO Forum.

Reply #2
Quote from: Traxless link=msg=177443 date=1503882492 Btw ... welcome to the LDO Forum. [/quote

Thank you! I was in the Yahoo group a few years ago - this is a nice improvement

I'll check all  of that...interestingly we had to have the radiator replaced several years ago, under warranty, as it had a leak itself. I'm going to run it into the local shop and have them take a deep look around, and see if anything looks obvious.

Reply #3
Check acarefully for overfilled tranny fluid. If it is high, take it back for correction. In mine an overfill caused some shifting issues as the fluid aerated due to being too full.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath