Skip to main content
Topic: 1988 23' model with a "pop up" (Read 273 times) previous topic - next topic
1988 23' model with a "pop up"
Hi, seems like I'm coming across some interesting rigs, this one is a 1988, 23' that has a pop up above the front part of the coach.  I'm curious if anyone has ever seen and/or has one. 

Re: 1988 23' model with a "pop up"
Reply #1
Do you have a link?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #2
One was for sale in SoCal a year ago.  Seemed overpriced. They claimed it was factory.  Which factory, SportMobile or LazyDaze?  Both are in SoCal. Inspect carefully,  more openings mean more opportunities for leaks.
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #3
There was one in attendance at the Caravan club meetup in May at Live Oak. That is a LD factory option, and there are at least two still running around. It is a Fiberglas top that covers a lip on the roof. The canvas sides are only exposed when popped up, so very durable. A very rare find indeed. RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #5
Rare Lazy Daze with Factory Pop-Up - rvs - by owner - vehicle automotive sale

This LD has come up for sale at one other time in the last year or so and included the same pictures.  If I remember correctly, the owner even joined this Forum for a brief period.  While the LD Factory may have made more of these, this is the only popup LD model I've seen or read about.  However, I'm not someone who could give you a recommendation about the asking price.  On the other hand, I'd be surprised if some other LD owners didn't provide you feedback about the pro's & con's of the mechanical parts of this 30 year old RV.  So stayed tuned to this channel!

Reply #6
Interesting but what would be the advantage of the pop up?
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #7
Rare Lazy Daze with Factory Pop-Up - rvs - by owner - vehicle automotive sale
Here is the link, it's for sale in Southern California again.  Worth pursuing? It's overpriced in my opinion.

I remember that one coming up for sale before too.  I wish the photos included the inside of the pop up area, I'd love to see what that looks like.
Hi, I'm Jo!
My little red wagon is a 1997 23.5 TK

Reply #8
I remember that one coming up for sale before too.  I wish the photos included the inside of the pop up area, I'd love to see what that looks like.
I believe there are still some photos of the pop up in the photo archives if you want to take the time to scroll through them. The owner was Pete Anderson.
Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #9
Greg,

You asked, "Interesting but what would be the advantage of the pop up?"

In the morning I don't mind being "caffeinated", but for me the overhead makes me feel a bit "coffinated". Too close for comfort for me.

The pop-up would eliminate that sensation completely. I enjoy a nice tent, however, I really don't care for canvas attachments to an RV. That fact and canvas replacements and leaks may have been the reason for eliminating the pop-up system in our venerable LD's.

Enjoying our last day in Big Bear...clear skies all around.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #10
Agreed, Kent, but looking at the CL ad photos it appears the pop up is hardly over the bunk bed. It may allow easier access to the bunk, though.

I found opening the escape hatch in my '85 eliminated the "coffinated" effect.

Just sayin'!
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #11
Not familiar enough with this option to know which models it was available for, but THIS one is a Multi-plan - rare enough a floorplan on its own.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #12
Interesting but what would be the advantage of the pop up?
Perhaps this model was an attempt to compete with the VW Westfalia. The only advantage IMO would be additional inside sleeping space. Disadvantage would be potential for leaks.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #13
Hi, found an album by ASalmonfish but pictures did not include the inside of the rig.

Reply #14
We know of one, it was at the Morro Bay GTG and a Caravan outing
It's a roof top room, similar to a VW camper bus.
You enter through an oversized escape hatch.
I have seen two others, both with rotted canvas sides.
Besides the canvas issue, it's a pre-90 LD, my recommended cut off date, for multiple reasons.

Camped on the Columbia, wondering how to escape the smoke.
Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze