Skip to main content
Topic: LD 2000 model question (Read 457 times) previous topic - next topic
LD 2000 model question
Hi, is anyone familiar with the 26.5' 2000 model that has a back bedroom rather than the twin/king set up? I came across one for sale that looks interesting but it seems a very rare model. I would appreciate an opinion. Thank you.

Re: LD 2000 model question
Reply #1
That floorplan is known as the 26.5 Island Bed. Rare because it was probably the most unpopular floorplan Lazy Daze offered. I have heard it said the Newtons built it just to show they could build a short Class C with a permanent bed. I think it was the first floorplan that was discontinued after LD started building all units on the Ford E450.

It was unpopular because it wasted a *lot* of space with the permanent bed. It might be ok for a solo traveller. From what I remember, there was a sofa that if extended, it would block the entry door.

Hope this answers your question.
Steve K.
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #2
It's called an 'Island Bed'; 2005 was the last year for this model.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Here's a link to Andy Baird's "Lazy Daze Pocket Guide" for the 26.5 "Island Bed"

LD Island Bed

Mark H.
Former owner, 31-foot gas Class A
Former owner, 1997-8 mid-bath

Reply #4
We have friends who own one and love it.
A fixed bed is worth a lot.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Thank you all for your helpful responses, I appreciate your feedback.  They are asking $18,769 which seems like a low price for a 2000 which may be due to the unpopularity of this model; although, from the pictures it looks nice.  I'll be doing some solo traveling as my husband is not yet retired, but it will be just for us two.  The downside is that it's in Florida which will pose some challenges trying to negotiate and inspect being here in California.   I'm actually looking for a shorter model but have been unable to find a decent one in my price range.   Safe travels!

Reply #6
When we took our "big trip" in our 26.5 mid-bath a few years ago, I insisted that the "beds" be couches during the day. The cycle of setting up and tearing down the bedding each day eventually led us to look at coaches with "dedicated" bedrooms. In the LD line, that meant the 31-foot island bed and twin bed models, and the 26.5 island bed.

Two observations about the island bed models:

1) The bed dimensions are usually smaller than a standard queen bed, both width and length.
2) Dinette-equipped models seem to be more rare than ones with barrel chairs.

According to the "Pocket Guide," LD stopped producing the 26.5-foot island bed model after 2005. That means many are older model years, without some of the coach and chassis improvements made in 2003 and after. For some, that would be important. That said, the 2000 26.5 IB you're considering looks like a great coach.

Mark H.

Reply #7
This is good information, thank you for the follow up Mark.  Does the price seem reasonable?

Reply #8
Two years ago we sold a 1998 mid-bath for about the same money. From that perspective, the price asked is in the ballpark.

Mark H.

Reply #9
Much obliged ☺️

Reply #10
Hello there,
I have a 2000 26.5' Lazy Daze with the Mid bathroom.  The bed in my camper is not permantly set up nor is it an island in the middle of the rear area.  Mine has two sofas in the rear that can be turned into a very large single bed if desired.  When camping I love having Windows on the three sides to look out of. 
My wife and I sleep on the sofas which turn into individual beds very easily.  I am 6'4" and find it very comfortable to sleep on.  The rear of my camper has lots of privacy as it becomes a nice room with the bathroom door open.  You can open the folding door and make the rear room closed off and private leaving access to the bathroom to both rooms.

We bought our LD in 2012 and paid $25000 for it with 25,000 miles on it.  Ours has the dinette which turns into another bed if needed and is very practical.  Overall this layout is the best I had seen in looking for over a year at class C RV's.  This was the first LD I had seen in person and I was very impressed with the build quality and the well thought out features it had. 

Needless to say, I bought it.  I am still impressed with the vehicle, it is comfortable and fun to use.  For my family of four it is the perfect size.  I get 10 mpg at 55 mph or 13 mpg at 60 mph which is reasonable for a vehicle of this size.  The only change I plan on doing to this RV is I am planning on expanding the house battery capacity by adding two more deep cycle batteries and 320 watts of photovoltaic solar panels.  Then it will be the "Perfect Home on the Road" for me and my family.

I hope you find the Lazy Daze that makes you and your family look for reasons to go someplace!  Good Luck!
Chris and Carolyn McCloskey
Fairfax, Virginia

Reply #11
Hi, thank you for sharing your thoughts, much appreciated. I have actually been looking for the same model you have but in a shorter coach.  I've been looking for a Lazy Daze on and off for over a year but unfortunately my budget is limited which creates challenges in purchasing a clean one.  Happy travels!

Reply #12
Well, isn't this timing.  After 13 summers of 5K trips, we are going to be selling our 2000 26 1/2 IB due to medical problems.  This summer was a challenge, with planned replacement of rear tires, and NOT planned frig dying and buying a new one.  Our rig is scruffy-looking and has need of a new awning and manual step.  Just went over 100k this summer.  We have loved the always made up bed tho the living space is very small. 

It has been great for us, and I hope to find a new home for it; it does need some TLC and price will reflect that.    Norma Taylor

Reply #13
Norma it sounds like you had a lot of wonderful trips over the years and the Lazy Daze served you well enjoy the next phase of life and good luck with the health issues.
2009 Kodiak 32 foot Island Bed