Skip to main content
Topic: Two Trivial Questions About Driving (Read 673 times) previous topic - next topic
Two Trivial Questions About Driving
1)  Always wondered what could be checked at Brake Check areas.

2) What's with driving with lights on in Safety Corridors? I can't see an on-coming vehicle any better with its lights on.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Re: Two Trivial Questions About Driving
Reply #1
Brake check is to test the Air Brakes and Spring Brake on Air Brake systems before the long down grade.  which requires an Engine Shut down to accompleish.

Headlights on Safety Corridors, Head lights on sure make you more visible to some one trying to pass on a two lane highway.
 Especially Metallic Silver cars.  They look like the sky in daylight.
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #2
Years ago, FL had a safety campaign called ' Drive to arrive alive'.
They encouraged drivers to turn on their headlights when driving on two lane roads.
We still do.

Reply #3
Don

Brake Check areas are excellent spot to disassemble the brakes, to make sure they are safe for the upcoming downgrade.
Being that there are so many of them out West, i just take one wheel's brakes apart, at every Brake Check, to save time.

As you and I suspect, running in the daytime, with the headlights on, is a conspiracy of the headlight manufacturers to sell more headlights. I beat them at their own game by never using the headlights .

Hope this helps.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
I just drove one of those headlights on zones. Here the tree shadows and bright sun make visibility of incoming cars difficult, so headlights help.

But on 395 the long headlights on zone has a big sign every single mile. My theory is that a legislator's relative has a signage contract with the state.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #5
Don

Brake Check areas are excellent spot to disassemble the brakes, to make sure they are safe for the upcoming downgrade.
Being that there are so many of them out West, i just take one wheel's brakes apart, at every Brake Check, to save time.

Larry

Gwad you must have better eyes then I have.  I have stopped many times to look for the truck lift so I could do the Brake Check.  Since I haven't found one (truck lift) we (DW and I) take a coffee and bathroom break.

As for driving with my headlights on.   Peace in the family.   My mother has always said about marriage "you can be right or you can be happy both you can't be both"   DW says turn em on.   I vote for happy in this case.  

personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #6
I worked for a Saab, Volvo dealer back in the 80's.
The Swedish had laws back then that required headlights be on during daytime.
It is a good idea for places in the world with weather conditions like they have in Scandinavia,
Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #7
"What's with driving with lights on in Safety Corridors?"

In the Sacramento/San Joaquin River Delta and in many places up and down the Central and Salinas Valleys you get tremendous Tule fog, particularly in the winter. Try meeting an oncoming motorist who does not have his lights on in a Safety Corridor (I-5 or Hwy 99) and you will rapidly understand the need for that rule.   :-[
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #8
I don't know if it helps or not. However, having spent some years working automobile accident claims and seeing the profound stupidity of many drivers I will take any possible help I can get.

Jim

Reply #9
I definitely see an oncoming vehicle better with its lights on! I love that our new RAV4 hybrid has lights on all the time when operated. I remind my husband to turn the lights on in the LD when we are traveling. :)  But I also have to remind him to turn the lights off too especially if we exit through the coach door vs the cab door. :)
Marti
2011 Blue MB
Seattle

Reply #10
I am old enough to remember how distinctive it was for Greyhound buses to have the headlights on during the day. If you saw anyone else who had their lights on, you'd flash yours at them to let them know so they wouldn't kill the battery if they forgot to turn them off when they got to where they were going. Or was that to warn them of a speed trap ahead?
fu
2015TK

Reply #11
I am old enough to remember how distinctive it was for Greyhound buses to have the headlights on during the day. If you saw anyone else who had their lights on, you'd flash yours at them to let them know so they wouldn't kill the battery if they forgot to turn them off when they got to where they were going. Or was that to warn them of a speed trap ahead?

I remember that as well. According to my recollection flashing lights was for both. I still people flash their lights every now and then to warn of police ahead.

Jim

Reply #12
I think it's all the Walmart trucks that have a sign on the back of the trailer saying "lights on for safety' or words to that effect.
Maybe they know something about safety?

Reply #13
I'm with Jim on this.  Having your lights on definitely increases your visibility to others.

Ken F in WY
'08 MB

Reply #14
It's the law, so I turn on the lights. But blimey, if I can see the on-coming any better.
Chaps me, to leave them on when we park. And I do as I usually do not get out of the driver's door.
Somewhere, I have instructions to install a warning buzzer, when the key is off and the lights are on. I think it was over my head and I never did it.

As for "meeting an oncoming motorist who does not have his lights on in a Safety Corridor (I-5 or Hwy 99)" I would never drive those highways.
Don & Dorothy

Traveling Dorothy

Reply #15
"I would never drive those highways."

Come to California and you will learn that there are not many alternate choices, north/south. Oh sure, there's Hwy 101 (El Camino Real) or the Coast Hwy (Rt. #1) or Hwy 395 (the outer limits) but unless you've got lots of time to squander those are not viable pathways.   ::)

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #16
i avoid 5 like the plague. And 99 is even worse, 101 is getting close. Our favorite route is 395, but f we can't make a route on it, I grit my teeth and put in the longest possible drives to clear those north south gauntlets as fast as I can. With my lights on all the way. Which seems a bit redundant on a divided highway.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #17
"I would never drive those highways."

Come to California and you will learn that there are not many alternate choices, north/south. Oh sure, there's Hwy 101 (El Camino Real) or the Coast Hwy (Rt. #1) or Hwy 395 (the outer limits) but unless you've got lots of time to squander those are not viable pathways.   ::)

We have driven many miles in CA, and even a few on I5 in the northern part of the state. Also 1 and 101, but we don't need to do that again. One of our fav roads is 395, which is well maintained.

Don & Dorothy

Traveling Dorothy

Reply #18
Speaking as a resident of the eastern Sierra for 36 years, I can say that the use of headlights/daylight lights on the 395 corridor really is important.    We've seen too many accidents along the way.    Over the past 40 years, 395 has seen many improvements such as long stretches of 2 lane (each way) highway plus passing lanes.   Oh, and the road no longer has the "snow gates" to close the road in bad weather; the highway patrol does a fine job of that.  :-)    Too many folks ignore the speed limits along the route and too many become highly frustrated if everyone isn't going as fast as they want them to go.   Add to that, finding themselves behind either a slower moving truck or - gasp! - an RV.   Trouble.    That's when reckless passing happens.   Using your headlights just may save your life.    Please, please use them for yourself and everyone else.    Speed limits on 395 are there for a reason and not just to annoy folks.   This particular route has many curves and turns, ups and downs.    It's beautiful country so abide by the speed limits, enjoy the views, and arrive safely.     Oh, and do absolutely abide by the reduced speed limits through the small towns.   They mean it!

Juli
Minden, NV
2006 26.5 RB
Juli W.
Former owner 1994 mid bath,  2006 26.5'rear bath

Reply #19
Juli,
Well Said!
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #20
But if you don't drive I-5 you can't stop at Harris Ranch for a humongous meal with exciting doze-at-the-wheel after effects! 😛 --Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #21
"... you can't stop at Harris Ranch for a humongous meal ..."

By the time I've passed the cattle feed yards in Coalinga I usually don't have an appetite for beef at Harris Ranch. Yucch!   ::)  :(
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #22

By the time I've passed the cattle feed yards in Coalinga I usually don't have an appetite for beef at Harris Ranch. Yucch!   ::)  :(

I agree with Steve on this one.  After seeing (and smelling) the conditions at Harris Ranch as I pass by on I-5, there is no desire to stop.  Beef eaters, try this instead:

Hearst Ranch Where to Buy Hearst Ranch Beef - Hearst Ranch
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #23
"But if you don't drive I-5 you can't stop at Harris Ranch for a humongous meal with exciting doze-at-the-wheel after effects! 😛 --Jon"

Do they still allow overnighting on their huge lot?  Maybe it's different now, but I don't recall being repelled by any smell.  Loved to eat at their spinning stool counter!  It was a favorite stop when RV'ing in a no-frills Volkswagen camper.  Plentiful hot water - especially nice in the wintertime!

Virtual hugs,

Judie  <-- Sierra Vista, Arizona
   Adventures of Dorrie Anne | Photographing the West

Today:  Pasta Pasilla

Reply #24
Overnight parking at Harris Ranch is still allowed according to Days End. We stayed there a few years ago and didn't notice any smell.
Marti
2011 Blue MB
Seattle