Skip to main content
Topic: Tank Insulation: Yet Another Reason Not To (Read 324 times) previous topic - next topic
Tank Insulation: Yet Another Reason Not To
I think many of us long ago agreed that insulating the holding tanks was a waste of money and a PITA. Reinforcing the latter, after a buying spree at CW on the trip up here to Oregon, I decided after dumping to change out the sticking grey water waste valve. Simple, right?  Just four bolts and you're on your way. NOT!  If you foolishly ordered the insulation option (hey, I was a newbie), you will find that 4-5 inches of the stuff completely covers the back of the valve, including the four nuts that are on the other end of those bolts. Getting that stuff off is a bear, and will have to wait until we return. Til then, I'll keep lubing the waste slide and hope the handle doesn't break. Definitely a bonehead move on the factory's part. -- Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Re: Tank Insulation: Yet Another Reason Not To
Reply #1
"I think many of us long ago agreed that insulating the holding tanks was a waste of money and a PITA."
----
Agreed! I declined the foam treated tanks on my 2003 for two reasons; I had seen the foam goop on an LD's tanks (yes, covering the valve screws!) before I ordered, and also because I figured that if it was cold enough for a long enough time to prevent several gallons of tank contents from freezing, it was a very sure bet that neither the rig nor I would be in that location!  ;)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
When we placed the order for our RB, I had gone over the list of "options" offered and asked Todd about the insulation for the holding tanks.

He asked me if I planned to camp during the winter months at high altitude. I told him no and that was that. I truly don't think he was convinced it would do much good.

Last November while preparing to dump my tanks up in Big Bear I discovered that the gray tank would have to wait as it's valve had frozen solid.

Once I arrived home all was well. I'm now wondering what 12 Volt options I might have to prevent a reoccurrence of this situation.

Maybe I could just tape some Johnny Pocket Warmers to the valves. Just in case of a cold snap.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #3
While our tanks are bare, the drain line and valves are wrapped with a 120-VAC pipe heater and foam insulation. It gets used when the valve(s) freeze. Plugged in for an hour, the ice melts. The valves freeze at a much faster rate than the tanks

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
My thought is if it is cold enough to freeze I will probably be plugged in.  So I figure a 100 watt drop light at each valve might be enough to stop the valve freeze.  Grandfather did it on the farm!
Has any one else tried this?
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #5
If you can arrange something to surround the valve then the light will probably put out enough heat (if it is incandescent or halogen, NOT fluorescent or led) to keep the valve from freezing.  The trick is to keep the cold wind away and to keep the heat from escaping too quickly.
2004 26.5 MB
Enjoying retirement traveling, Rzr riding, photography, and of course the 2 grand girls!

Reply #6
When we purchased our new 2007 31 foot we had the tanks insulated,  no regrets.  Camped in freezing weather many times

with not tank-valve issues.

To each his own.

Bob Wilson
2007 31 IB

Reply #7
My thought is if it is cold enough to freeze I will probably be plugged in.  So I figure a 100 watt drop light at each valve might be enough to stop the valve freeze.  Grandfather did it on the farm!
Your grandfather didn't have heat tape . Heat tape is permanent and more power efficient.
Frost King HC12A Automatic Electric Heat Cable Kit, 12 Feet, Black -...
Plumbing heat tape is almost universally available, except in hot climates.
Buy a roll of insulated tape, used in HVAC systems, to wrap and secure the tape around the valves and drain pipe.
Armacell 2 in. x 30 ft. R-1 Foam Insulation Tape-TAP18230 - The Home Depot

The above recommendation has been well tested.
It works so much better than the hair drier I once had to use and has no light bulbs to carry or break.

Waiting for the approaching darkness.
Larry
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #8
Larry
Thank you. Never though of the heat tape
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath