Skip to main content
Topic: We are traveling and need a bit of help (Read 593 times) previous topic - next topic
We are traveling and need a bit of help
We have a 2002 RB.  There is an attached rug on the floor by our sink. About three hours into our trip, I noticed a small spot of water on the right hand corner of the rug (facing the toilet).  The spot slowly spread. The toilet is not leaking.

It is now hours later and the water is just on the one edge of the rug. My husband thinks the water pump has a leak and is going to check if something on the pump jiggled loose.  Since it is now the middle of the night, he turned the water off and went back to bed. I decided to give a quick post.

Anyone ever have this Issue? 

Thank you.
2002 RB

Re: We are traveling and need a bit of help
Reply #1
Okay, it is morning going. Found the leak. We had a new water pump installed a few months ago, and it is leaking at a connection.
2002 RB

Reply #2
Of course, make sure those connections are tight.  But also go around and, with the pump on, open the various valves and allow them to 'sputter' until all the air is out of the lines.  Both sinks, shower, toilet, and don't forget the outside shower if you have one.  I have read that air can get trapped in the lines, get compressed by advancing water, but then create a sort of backpressure situation on the pump.  That shouldn't leak, but sometimes does, but normal operation after bleeding out the air is fine.  Worth a look at least...

Chip
2000 Front Lounge

Reply #3
Kathy,

Just a quick question. Do you guys leave the pump switched on while the water is not in use?

While it is a common practice by some to leave the water pump switch turned on for the sake of convenience, this can have some unsettling results-water leaking from the pump.

In your case, this turned out to be a "good thing", I suppose. However, this practice can be an especially bad thing if the water leaks while you are out of the rig.

In our RB, I generally insist the pump be turned off when not in use. Kinda like seat belts. If I always use them, I won't forget to put them on every time.

We simply turn off the pump when not in use. It's a simple precaution and can give me some peace of mind while out for the day or resting for the night.

Thank goodness you found the leak. Enjoy your travels.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #4
Good point Kent. 
Has anyone added a 2nd water pump switch in the bathroom?  I'm kinda getting tired of having to walk to the kitchen with my hands full of soap....
Seriously I'd like to add a 2nd switch there.  It shouldn't be too difficult since the MB bathroom shares a wall with the kitchen cabinet where the pump is.  Just need to figure out how to wire it up without running an extra wire to the existing switch (if needed).
2004 26.5 MB
Enjoying retirement traveling, Rzr riding, photography, and of course the 2 grand girls!

Reply #5

A lot of people use something like this water leak alarm.
There are dozens of styles so pick your favorite.

Glentronics, Inc. BWD-HWA Basement Watchdog Water Sensor and Alarm -...

I wedged it directly under the front of the pump and used Velcro to secure the alarm unit near the pump location.
Once it told me there was a small leak.
Well worth a few bucks to me.

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.

Reply #6
Our water pump is on most of the time, except when we leave the rig. The pump has a moisture detector located under the pump.
Whenever the pump is changed, do check the hose clamps after a few days, they tend to loosen.

Hiding out in the San Juan Islands
Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
Thanks, everyone for the replies. Visiting family  in Nashville right now and getting ready to see the Eclipse, so I didn't  go on-line yesterday. 

What was somewhat sad here was, we JUST had a new water pump installed in our rig. Our old one wasn't even broken, just on the old side.

Anyway, my husband and I took a look and saw that the filter on the water pump was leaking. My husband removed the filter, I went on line and found a rv parts store. We stopped, got a new filter, installed it, and were on our way.

No, we don't keep our water pump on while traveling. 

Again thanks for the suggestions.

2002 RB

Reply #8
One more thing...we do have a water leak detector. Problem was, the leak was running in a direction that missed the detector. By about an inch.  I'm just glad this was an easy, "do it yourself" fix.
2002 RB

Reply #9
"What was somewhat sad here was, we JUST had a new water pump installed in our rig."

One Fall back when I was young and stupid innocent, I asked Camping World in Bridgeport, NJ to install a new water pump and winterize my rig. The older and more cynical among you can probably guess how they did it: first they drained all the water out, then installed the pump... but didn't take the time to refill with water and test it.

Come spring, when I un-winterized, it turned out that they had omitted a crucial gasket, resulting in a massive leak on the pump's output side as soon as water was once again in the system. Unfortunately, the Whisper King pump was so quiet that I didn't notice until the water was up to my ankles and the animals were queueing up two by two. Well, it seemed that way! ;-) Anyhow, it was a pretty major flood. Fortunately, the coach was able to air out over a week or so, with no apparent harm done.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that right after a water pump service is the most likely time for a major water leak... just as right after an oil change is the most likely time for a major oil leak!
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #10
Good point Kent. 
Has anyone added a 2nd water pump switch in the bathroom?  I'm kinda getting tired of having to walk to the kitchen with my hands full of soap....
Seriously I'd like to add a 2nd switch there.  It shouldn't be too difficult since the MB bathroom shares a wall with the kitchen cabinet where the pump is.  Just need to figure out how to wire it up without running an extra wire to the existing switch (if needed).
Did a forum search about 2nd pump switch and this is the only thing that popped.

We like to keep the water pump turned off, mainly when we leave the rig, and sometimes forget to turn it back on before heading to the bathroom. I'm thinking about adding a 2nd timer latched switch in the bathroom. One that once turned on, will turn itself off after a set time.

I'm curious if anyone else has done something similar?
2001 MB

Reply #11
Hi Henness; Since in the MB the pump is almost in the bathroom/ kitchen wall, the wiring should be easy. The seond switch could be a mechanical timer, that turns off after awhile. I would investigate making it into two three way switches like a light switch upstairs and downstairs, but that is me.
     Here is a mechanical timer: https://www.homedepot.com/p/TORK-15-Minute-Spring-Wound-Timer-with-Metal-Wall-Plate-RFF15M/304162928
RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #12

We like to keep the water pump turned off, mainly when we leave the rig, and sometimes forget to turn it back on before heading to the bathroom. I'm thinking about adding a 2nd timer latched switch in the bathroom. One that once turned on, will turn itself off after a set time.

Sure, owners have done this for a long time, usually by adding a second on-off switch.
I would make it clean and simple by adding a push button in the bath that activates a 12-volt, time delay relay to power the pump, the time the pump stays powered is adjustable up to 15 minutes.
Amazon.com: HELLA 996152151 12 Volt 5 Pin 0-900s Delay On Time Control Unit:...

It shouldn't be too hard to wire since the Power Center, water pump and the bath are next to each other.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #13

Hi Larry;  I was looking to order this time delay relay to run the water pump from remote locations, and have it shut off automatically. But it appears that this relay starts a delay to come on at a later time.  The Hella 996152151 is a "Delay, On Time control relay. Confusing!   I think it needs a word added. "The" added between Delay and ON, would do a better job of describing what this relay does. It 'delays the On Time...'  would do a better job of describing the relay's function.    I admit that it might have a contact pair that switches when operated by push button, 'The remote water pump on'  and at the end of the (we'll just say) 15 minute (adjustable) delay goes on, and opens the contact, shutting the pump off. But the relay would draw power the entire time the pump was off.   An example given in  question and answer:   (I edited it)
      Question:Can you use this to turn off lights after you lock and leave your car? e.g. Lights you forget to turn off.
                               No you need the delay off relay........ this relay has a delay when power is applied, before it turns on!
                               By Mark Williams on June 29, 2015
      So for a water pump you want on immediately, to use, that would go off by itself some time later, this isn't it.

The other part that Amazon offered differs by one number  Amazon.com: HELLA 996152131 12V Delay-On-Release, Time Delay Relay: Automotive    This is a #...131, instead of the #...151. This is labeled  "Delay On Release.  I think this is the part you would need. The remote on button(s) would energize the relay and turn on the pump right away. 15 minutes (or so) later, the relay would turn off, and the water pump would be off.  Described as: 996152131 12V Delay-On-Release, Time Delay Relay.  I think it should be better described as "On, with a delayed Off"   time delay relay.  I'm interpreting 'Release' as 'stays on after the on button is released".
      An example given in question and answer: (again I edited for clarity)
      "The Hella 996152131 Delay on-release timer relay worked like it should, deactivates pin 87 after X seconds. The application I used was for heated mirrors....
The function of this relay is delay on-release, meaning once the timer is triggered (power applied then released), the 87 pin will stay energized until the relay times out. If you trigger the timer again, the timer resets to 0 and keeps 87 energized for the set time. (extending the on time) If you need to deenergize before the timer ends, add a switch to the ground of the relay, this will cut the coil power and deactivate the timer.  A pin out:
           15  is the 12V trigger,
           30 is the 12V constant power (house battery)
           31 - ground
           87 -   NO 12V output when delay is active, off after delay times out   (NO is normally open)
           87a - NC 12V output (off when timer active, on when deactivated)     (NC is normally closed)
                       "87a would be unused in the water pump application."

This last comment brings up the question, 'what if you want to turn off the pump before the timer shuts it off.'  I would put an off switch to turn off the relay early at the control switch on the Lazy Daze normal pump switch location.
   In addition, green LED lights, could be routed to each location of an on switch. This would tell you if the pump was already on from a previous press of a remote. For example in a MidBath, 'ON' switches would be right at the shower, reachable from the shower. The sink location in the bath. At the normal control location in the kitchen, and a remote outside at the external shower on the driver side.
   For those of you readers who got this far, let me know if you concur that the    "Hella 996152131 Delay on-release timer"  is the right part to order.   I'm hoping that the people answering these questions, had an actual part(relay), to verify that it acted as they described.      I'm going to go look at Hella to see if they have a schematic. The German translators must have had a time with this part's operation!     I'm not actually doing this for my rig, Asking for a friend.     RonB       

RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB