Skip to main content
Topic: Wildlife spotting (Read 105 times) previous topic - next topic
Wildlife spotting
Spotting wildlife while on the road is to me one of the highlights of a trip.  However, you sometimes don't need to travel far to be rewarded.  Earlier this week I captured this photo on a critter cam on our property in southern AZ. 

This black bear photo will join our collection including a mountain lion, bobcats, coyotes, deer, wild turkeys, raccoons, skunks, jack rabbits, road runners.

What is you favorite wildlife spot on the road or at home?

Matt

Re: Wildlife spotting
Reply #1
What is you favorite wildlife spot on the road or at home?
Any estuary or wetlands that we can use our kayaks in and that's on one of the migratory flyways.
Morro Bay is our favorite due to the proximity to home and just because very few take advantage of the seasonal diversity of birds.
There are fewer paddlers using the Bay now than ten years ago
The last time we paddled there, a few weeks ago, most of the tourists were renting  SUP boards and never got too far from the marina. 
Wonderful, we had the whole back bay to ourselves.
Much of the Bay and sand spit can be access from land too, from several parks surrounding the Bay.

Elkhorn Slough, in Moss Land, Monterey Bay. One of the few remaining, somewhat intact sloughs on the California coast and it's packed with birds.
Tours are available or bring your on boat, pay attention to the tides.

The coastal lagoons of Northern California, above Eureka, are beautiful too, the only place we have ever seen groups of fresh water otters.

On the Oregon coast, near Coos Bay,  Samuel Tugman SP's Ell lake is another undiscovered treasure for the paddler, very under used because of the low speed limit. 
All the nearby lakes the area are crowed with water skiers and PWCs. 
Last summer we were surprised to find bays full of blooming water lilies. Present was the usual assortment of water birds,  a pair of nesting ospreys that were very annoyed that we violated their territory and lots of deer. Drop dead beautiful place.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Re: Wildlife spotting
Reply #2
One day I will have more time to extend my California Adventure range and hopefully visit all of the spectacular places Larry has mentioned. Until then, I will satisfy myself with my usual So. Cal. hangout only a short drive up the San Bernardino mountains-Big Bear.

A leisurely walk along the lake at Serrano CG brings my lens within reach of some of  the local feathered residents. A Bear would be a nice surprise, but so far no luck.

These little friends are always there to entertain. I'm always happy to see them.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"