Skip to main content
Topic: Touring BC - Provincial Parks (Read 108 times) previous topic - next topic
Touring BC - Provincial Parks
Let me state at the outset our preferred places to park are those with nothing but horizon. Getting to those places always means parking at a variety of places, both private and public. Put another way, we abhor the easy-off, easy-on private campgrounds.

Southern BC is both popular and populated. Private campgrounds are of low quality but are priced high. Our mission was to get north of Kamloops as quickly as possible. It starts to thin out there and by the time you are west of Prince George it's quite rural.

We stayed at several Provencial Parks. They are pristine. The gravel is raked after the site is empty and the tables washed. Not many of them have any amenities other than trash. A few have showers, a few have water and Sani-Dumps. However, the dump is extra, $4 US. The prices range from $16 to $21 US. So that would be $25 for dry camping and dumping. Most of the sites have complete tree cover, so solar is of no use.

Considering that private campgrounds with full hookups can be found for $5 more, the Provencial Parks are no a bargain.

We lucked into two campgrounds run by First Nation tribes. Both discounted their rate because we were "elders". That is a big deal in their culture.

We saw some sites in their Forest Reserve, which are free, but we were not interested in parking on a dirt road with no view.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Re: Touring BC - Provincial Parks
Reply #1
Thanks guys, we always look across the strait thinking "We need to go over there to camp" your rece will get us thinking harder
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #2
Don,

In my opinion, BC is among the most beautiful places in North America I've been.  I'm not sure how this may apply to your travels, but my SO mentioned this a few weeks ago after reading about it.  Thought I'd share it.  Free admission to Parks Canada sites throughout 2017.  Doesn't include provincial parks as I recall, but may be worth further investigation.  Unfortunately Canada is not possible for me this year.

2017 free admission - Plan your visit
Bill
2003 -- 23' FL

Reply #3
The free admission has increased the number of people dramatically. It's a zoo.
The popular parks are in Alberta, but a small section bleeds over into BC.
We did not go to Jasper this time because 1) the fires, smoke all over 2) some many people, the place is swarming.

Go another year, the park pass is only about $100.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy