Skip to main content
Topic: 2016 water pump problem (Read 236 times) previous topic - next topic
2016 water pump problem
My water pump appears to run ok until I close the faucet expecting the pump to shut down.  It continues to run but making about half the noise that it normally would.   It continues to run until I turn off the the pump switch.   Just before this happened I was not getting as clean a pump shut off as was typical when I closed a faucet.  The pump has very little time on it. 

Also, how difficult is it to remove this pump in a  mid bath?   Any tricks?   It looks a little tight in there.

plan B - 2023 Travato

Re: 2016 water pump problem
Reply #1
A quick look at YouTube brought these videos to the top of the water pump inquiry.

https://youtu.be/p-zxHmcYiOE

https://youtu.be/_2_YfcxbPI0

There are several YouTube videos on this subject so you may find others that help to answer your question. I'm not sure which one, but one video suggested that the toilet bowl was continually filling itself causing the pump to keep running.

As always, others here may have a better finger on the water pump pulse than I.

Good luck,

Kent

2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #2
Just a quick suggestion.   As you know,  one reason the pump may continue to run is it's attempting to pressurize the waterline.   So I'd make sure all the connections to the water pump are tight and that there isn't any evidence of a leak from those connections.   Secondly, check that all the faucets are closed to include the outdoor shower.  I'd also check the water line connections to the shower.  Finally, I'd search under the BR sink, kitchen sink, and around the toilet sprayer for any evidence of tiny leaks.   Please let us know how this turns out.

Reply #3
On changing the water pump in a MB - While it can be done from the access, I have found that pulling the power panel out and sitting it on the floor makes working on the water pump MUCH easier.  To remove the power panel, you remove the 4 Torx head screws that hold the cover, then remove the 4 hex head screws that hold the panel in place.  Slide it straight out and rest it on the floor.

Now you have room to see and work.  Assuming you do not have a shut off valve (I put one in on mine) you must drain the fresh water tank.  That valve is in the front left outside compartment.  Looking in the compartment, it is on the right side.  Drain the tank.

Removing and replacing the pump is now easy.  Fit a towel under the front of the pump to catch water remaining in the lines.  Unscrew the in and out fittings, disconnect the two wire nuts, and unscrew the 4 screws holding the old pump down.  Lift it out, lift the new one in and reconnect everything.  Refill the tank, turn the pump on and check for leaks.  My preferred way to check for leaks is with white paper towels or toilet paper.  Place a flat pad of the paper under the fittings.  Any drips will show quickly.

When you are sure there are no leaks and the new pump is working right, replace the power panel and you are done.

Ken F in WY

'08 MB

Reply #4
Thank you for the suggestions.   It's working properly now.   Apparently I had something open partially which allowed the pressure from building up enough to activate the shut off.   The lower pump noise threw me but that's how it runs when there is a trickle coming out somewhere.    Frank
plan B - 2023 Travato

Reply #6
Great! Simple fixes are always nice. Advice gets spread throughout the group so questions & answers get put to good use.

Nice job.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #7
On a 2016 model that's got to be a fairly recent pump, perhaps the '4008 Revolution'. It's highly unlikely that it would need to be replaced.

However, I've discovered that they are very sensitive to pressure adjustment. Just a squeak past the optimum setting (ccw) will create just the symptom you speak of. I suggest you tweak the adjustment screw (Allen found on the front of pump) a bit clockwise, just a little bit will do ya!   ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #8
One thing that I don't see mentioned in any of the threads on water pump replacement besides draining the fresh water tank is also draining the hot water heater tank. Obviously I did something wrong,  because I got a pretty good dowsing after I thought most of the water was out of the system. I wish that I could share exactly the sequence of events, but I decided to drain the HWH because I was still getting a little water from the coach side of the pump line after I disconnected it. I may have had the kitchen faucet open when I flipped the pressure relief valve on the tank. I immediately heard a gushing sound, ran inside and was greeted with a mini tsunami. I was able to grab the hose, plug it with my finger and sop up the mess before it got too far. Anyway, if someone else wants to explain what I did wrong, maybe it will prevent this from happening to any other intrepid do-it-your-selfers. Other than the tidal wave, the replacement went very smoothly. My plan is to install shut off valves this winter for next time...

Larry
Larry in Monument, CO
2008 24' FD

Reply #9
Larry
Air Lock, and gravitational forces.
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath