Skip to main content
Topic: RV sales are up, up up (Read 501 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RV sales are up, up up
Reply #1
I read and re-read looking for the total units increase, but the only related metric I recall is how Thor and Winnebago have increased sales via acquisition. In another article I noted Class B sales up over 39%.

My anecdotal observations confirm these reports.

And with Hymer fueling the market even more, I bet there will be more rigs on the road in years to come.

How about a campground investment? Equity LifeStyle Properties | RV Portfolio
 Too bad Xanterra ( formerly Amfac), the company that seems to have a lock on NP campground concessions, is privately owned.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #2
Recent discussions of Senior Passes and California State Park Passes has made me wonder what else is out there.

Since taking possession of our LD, we have been staying in National Parks. No BLM's no Private Campgrounds or Yearly Subscriptions to places like 1000 Trails.

With the upswing in RV purchases and the recent talk of rude campers walking through camp sites, it's made me think that there may just be something to places like 1000 Trails. The cost per month for one area is about $50. What comes with that cost for these Private Campgrounds? Are there additional fees for campsites?

Basically we are rustic campers and love the National Parks, but I'm just wondering if these Private Campgrounds may be worth checking out.

Just curious. Any thoughts anyone? Good, bad or indifferent.

Pondering my options against the onslaught of campers.

Kent 
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #3
On another RV Forum, a family recounted their trip to California to buy a Newmar at Tom Lindstrom RV.  According to this family  "Tom Linstrom did tell us that Newmar is slammed with orders. He was asked to pre-order more than 6 months out, something Tom said wasn't normal.  He did say Guaranty and Happy Daze (I think) have 350 and 250 coaches on order right now.  In any case, Newmar is telling dealers to order now or get shut out later."

So at the end of the day, I suppose we can expect more RVs on the road than ever before.  As many have read, a good percentage of new buyers are retiring or retired Baby Boomers (like Margee & I) and Baby Boommer years are 1946 to 1964.  Ain't to difficult to read these tea leaves.

Reply #4
Kent, we used Thousand Trails for a year when we our plan called for us to visit and work near their camps.  It was good, saving us and clients' $. We had a couple places we would rate as poor, and a couple that were excellent. Most were a significant cut above average private RV parks. An older clientele than KOA, and no rail road tracks through camp! We saw the team from corporate planning capital investments in some parks and that impressed us.

There is a lot of review chat on the internet, mostly negative, from those who bought lifetime memberships years ago and are being forced off of sites they have homesteaded. Sad stories, but inevitable as the business tries to rid many camps of residents whose RVs no longer move.

In our year we paid up front, then nothing else for many, many nights of camping. The facilities are resort-like: pools, clubhouses, etc. Some very friendly and involved members keep some parks in excellent condition. A few not so much. In all cases there are relevant upgrade and update plans continuing, and a intelligent policy to permit maximum use while not becoming a collection of residential parks. We managed to stay for a over month near LA in 3 different parks, ranging from nice to excellent.

The constant invitations to hear the spiel to upgrade membership was not high pressure, and the idea of a "home base" park location were not great for us, we saw others enjoying both. To us these were neutral.  The year we used Thousand Trails we travelled with a "long, long trailer" in a way that made it work. Normally we don't. Ending the experiment was easy, we sent a letter on time to end the auto renew.

We liked the business enough to consider buying stock. In light of the pressure we see coming on parks, may again. 

Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #5
I recently read an article that stated in the first quarter of both 2016 and 2017, the most money spent was on
recreational products and vehicles.
People are starting to understand what some of us have known for many many years.
Add the turmoil of today and many are choosing to get away from the places that cause them the most stress.
Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #6
Judging only by what we have seen on the road, 80% of the increased sales went to rental owners in BC. There are Class C here like fire - flies.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #7
Now Thousand Trails has sweetened the pot for zone pass holders..."The Trails Collection" is an available add on to the zone pass. Gives access to 100+ parks across the country for $199. Some have a $20 fee, but most do not. These are affiliated campgrounds, not properties necessarily owned by TT. This looks like a good deal to me and we will likely add it on our anniversary date coming up real soon. It comes at a good time as we are NE and SE zone pass holders and may need to rework our planned trip out East in light of Irma. (I agree with the earlier comments here on TT.) If we add the "TC" option, we end up with access to 136+ parks for $624. (Zone pass $425+ $199TC add on). We can stay up to 4 nights before triggering a 7 night "out of the system" with a max stay of 14.
Todd (and Steve)
'17 Winnebago Minnie Winnie and '13 Honda CRV
(Former '99 RB owners from 2012-2016)