Skip to main content
Topic: Middle Roof Sag / Water Collecting (Read 241 times) previous topic - next topic
Middle Roof Sag / Water Collecting
I have a 1984 LD and it has been renovated quite a bit by the previous owner. However, while the RV has been parked, I noticed a small leak in the middle of the ceiling. The leak occurred after several days of continuous rain, which caused a puddle to form on the roof. I do not have an A/C unit, but it definitely looks like a spot where there could have been one. I even put a tarp over the camper, but water found it's way through small holes in the tarp.

My guess is time/weather have caused the joist to become weak over time; hence, the sag in the wood.

Q:) What is the best solution to fixing a sag and creating a better pitch for water to roll off the roof?

Q:) Is it possible to brace the joist back up without taking it apart?
-j

Re: Middle Roof Sag / Water Collecting
Reply #1
Lazy Daze builds a roof that tends to be concave. A design flaw,  to my thinking, that has never been addressed.  Then they apply a mound of caulking to both long sides and the front of the roof, essentially building the walls of a dike. This remains the current construction method.
Condensate from the A/C unit as well as rain water puddles on the roof looking for the smallest point of entry to the inside.
My solutions.
If I'm using the camper and plan on running the A/C, or if rain is anticipated, I do not park perfectly level to keep water from puddleing. I want the water to drain off either the drivers side or back. Not over the entry door. If you are level, and a puddle  has formed, before you move the camper,  be certain both cab doors are shut and windows closed or the water will come pouring in from the roof when you move.

In storage always park with a very distinct angle to be certain all the water can drain off the roof.

Others with repair experience can address your roof leak.
In the mean time, block up the front to keep the water off the roof.
And buy a tarp with no holes. 😉

Reply #2
I have a 1984 LD and it has been renovated quite a bit by the previous owner. However, while the RV has been parked, I noticed a small leak in the middle of the ceiling. The leak occurred after several days of continuous rain, which caused a puddle to form on the roof. I do not have an A/C unit, but it definitely looks like a spot where there could have been one. I even put a tarp over the camper, but water found it's way through small holes in the tarp.
The sag in the roof is known as " Lake Newton", every LD has the same dip, the results of the A/C's weight.
You need to reseal the roof seams and any hatches or other penetrations.
Your 1984 has a multi piece roof, as opposed to newer LDs, with their one piece roofs. The cross seams can leak.
If the roof A/C is out, buy a new A/C gasket and glue it to the roof, before setting the A/C back on.

Forget about removing the dip, you will damage something in the process.
I have also found leaks caused by plugged evaporator drain, in the roof top A/C. When the A/C is running, the condensate can back up and spill into the interior.

We have had good luck using Eternbond Tape.
The archives and Companion are loaded with information on roof sealing, it has been discussed to death, like so many other LD topics.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Adding on...
While cleaning the roof to get ready for sealing inspection and repair, examine every inch of the roof for the bubbly patches of electrolysis, and pinholes caused by corrosion. These can be also fixed with Eternabond.  Good luck, I hope there is no structural damage. 

Lake Newton is a bit aggravating.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #4
Wow - I really appreciate the quick feedback! Thank you very much for all the tips.
-j