Skip to main content
Topic: Clothes Hangers in Closet fall off at bumps and rises  (Read 436 times) previous topic - next topic
Clothes Hangers in Closet fall off at bumps and rises
Looking for advice on a fix to keep the hanging clothes in the rear closets (26 IB) from falling off at bumps and rises .. searched for previous discussion but nothing found.. Thanks
Shift Colors - Underway
1999 26.5 IB

Re: Clothes Hangers in Closet fall off at bumps and rises
Reply #1
Use plastic (not wire) hangers and reverse the hangers, i.e., hook them into the rack from the rear. Works for me.  ;)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Thanks.. That seems sensible for some travel situations..It does cut down on the number of hangers you can use verses wire hangers in our closet .. as we can put two or even three per slotted opening.. and only one possibly two of the traditional plastic hangers.. but that is a good solution for shorter trips when we take less..   This is a longer trip of two months through several climate regions so  interim solution for this trip is a piece of vinyl siding trim strip i found in the garage - cut to length and wired on top of the slotted metal strip in the closet ..current jury rig is a little cumbersome but may be able to refine it with the short bungees or some other quick release method.  If it works i will photograph and post.  

Shift Colors - Underway
1999 26.5 IB

Reply #3
"It does cut down on the number of hangers you can use verses wire hangers in our closet"

You can do a Google search for:

multi use clothes hangers   

or some such string, and you will find many, many types of hangers that will accommodate multiple items to be hung in/on one hanger.

Amazon also has boodles of possibilities:

Amazon.com: magic clothes hanger

Virtual hugs,

Judie

Reply #4
We have a 30 IB. We gave up hanging everything. Only things now are coats and sweatshirts on solid wood and wire hangers. They don't come out. Everything else is in shelves or in a hanging shoe bag on the door.

Lydia
Lydia.
Current: 2020 JLUR w 15’ Squaredrop
Former: 2006 30IB Anniversary Edition

Reply #5
I misread your post, and thought you said you were using a piece of vinyl you found in the garbage (instead of what you wrote: the garage.)  I'm thinkin', wow, so I'm not the only one who will go there?

Anyway, are we talking fully-loaded hangers taking flight, or empties?  If empties, segregating them to one or two holes with a bit of foam stuffed in there too would help.

If full, then your solution needs to stop a dozen hangers that might weigh up to five pounds.  I would think a full-width strip of 1/4" wood, hinged at the ceiling and covering at least half the height of the holes would do the trick.  Hot-glue or mechanically fasten small, strong magnets to the board to hold it against the rail when 'down'.  Small magnet pair on the ceiling to hold it up when LD is parked.  If bar is aluminum, glue or screw magnets to it as well, between the holes.

If you don't want to do magnets, wingnuts or threaded knobs on protruding 1/4-20 bolts would do the trick. Subject to possible loss, however.

This way the upward force of the hangers will meet the board on-edge, which should easily stop them before they gather inertia.  Also limits their travel to where they would have to be significantly canted to be removed.  The cabinet back and door would limit that angle.

"Shoulder pads", a removable board/rod extending side-to-side across the shoulders of the garments would also do the trick.  More stuff to manage, though.

Or, slow down and enjoy the view?  :)  Just kidding...

Or, buy some of these:  Lock on travel hanger - the hanger that stays on the rail
(I knew something like that had to exist already.)

Chip
2000 Front Lounge

Reply #6
"We have a 30 IB. We gave up hanging everything. Only things now are coats and sweatshirts on solid wood and wire hangers. They don't come out. Everything else is in shelves or in a hanging shoe bag on the door."

Hangers . . . bah, humbug!

I turned the closet in our RB into drawer and hanging shoe bag territory.  Jackets get tossed onto the overcab bed.  I sleep up there, but just push whatever is in my way to another place; there's a lot of room at the foot of the bed.  Sleepwear lives under my pillow.  It is a huge area up there for just one person.  Jackets are much handier to grab right there, too.  I keep a hat, gloves, chapstick, neckwrap, and a package of Kleenex in the pocket(s) of all jackets, so no searching for accessories on the way out the door.

The cavernous, built-in storage bin at the head of the bed is basically useless except for storing out-of-season clothing, or any other seldom-used items.  It is usually covered up with bedding and jackets, and can't be opened easily, particularly from the ground.  Best to put an inventory sheet on the outside to tell you what is in there because after the first year of not opening it, the identify of the contents tends to fade from my brain.  ;->

Virtual hugs,

Judie

Reply #7
My sister and I bought Huggable Hangers on HSN.com when they had a sale.  The metal hook at the top can be bent slightly if they fall off the hanging rail.  But they have never fallen off when we use them and we have been on some really rough roads.  They are sturdy enough to hold 2 or 3 t-shirts each and you can hang 3 or 4 hangers in each slot on the rod. We use half of the MB closet for a plastic storage cart with 2 drawers and the other half for hanging clothes.  It works well for the two of us.  I think you can find similar hangers at Amazon, Target, or WalMart.

Jean
Jean Gunter

2000 Mid-bath

Reply #8
Looking for advice on a fix to keep the hanging clothes in the rear closets (26 IB) from falling off at bumps and rises .. searched for previous discussion but nothing found.. Thanks
Are the shock absorbers in good shape?  We never have hangers fall off, even on bumpy roads.
Bad shocks would allow the rear axle to bounce too much and could be the cause of your problem.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #9
We never have hangers fall off, even on bumpy roads.
----
My hangers don't bounce or fall off the rack, either, but I did "reverse hang" a couple of hangers with very lightweight sun shirts on them; I fasten a top button on the shirts so they don't slide off the hanger itself and drape over the stuff that lives in the bottom of the closet, e.g., the Wave 3.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #10
Another tip- put a rubber band over the hook end of the hanger. Hang it up, then use the rubber band to come under the rod and catch the short end of the hanger hook, closing the hanger loop.  Hard to describe.  I don't have a photo, we don't have the issue in our MB. 

Rear ends get an exaggerated amount of bouncing on these long overhang rigs. in our travel trailer with a rear wardrobe we had this problem until the heavy hanger load and roads tore the hanging rod out of the wardrobe.  We began folding and shelving everything.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #11
My sister and I bought Huggable Hangers on HSN.com when they had a sale.  The metal hook at the top can be bent slightly if they fall off the hanging rail.  But they have never fallen off when we use them and we have been on some really rough roads.  They are sturdy enough to hold 2 or 3 t-shirts each and you can hang 3 or 4 hangers in each slot on the rod. We use half of the MB closet for a plastic storage cart with 2 drawers and the other half for hanging clothes.  It works well for the two of us.  I think you can find similar hangers at Amazon, Target, or WalMart.

Jean
Thanks for all the replies..  I meant to say vinyl trim strip in my first reply. it is a 1 inch wide heavy vinyl strip  and has  slots along the edge that facilitate lashing to the metal bar..it is a little too clumsy to be a permanent fix but your replies gave me some good ideas.

For the record we haven't had it happen very often - not really ever on bumpy roads but only on roads with a swale or dip that is not anticipated and not slowed sufficiently to take in stride .. first time was on a nice smooth road in Death Valley National Park  ..has only happened about three other times in 40k miles of driving so not a huge problem.. but one that can be prevented. Thanks again for all the replies...it triggered my thinking sufficiently to come up with a couple of possibilities.  We are packing up today to leave tomorrow from Northern VA to the Northwest (Olympic Peninsula) with a couple of stops enroute, principally three weeks in Banff. . 
Shift Colors - Underway
1999 26.5 IB

Reply #12
Rear ends get an exaggerated amount of bouncing on these long overhang rigs. in our travel trailer with a rear wardrobe we had this problem until the heavy hanger load and roads tore the hanging rod out of the wardrobe.  We began folding and shelving everything.
While my wife does hang some clothes, I fold everything, using less room and allowing a two week minimum of fresh clothing.
We hate doing laundry any more often than necessary.
If we had more water, I would adopt my international travel mode. Buy fast drying clothing that can be washed, in the shower, and worn the next day. Drives my wife nuts looking at the same clothes day after day.  No one else complains.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #13
Hi, we got some hangers from camping world which are thick plastic with an extra curve at the bottom of the hook for the hanger bar in a mb wardrobe and they work great. We have never had one fall off. Good luck.
Jean, silver fox

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

---
2015 MB

Reply #14
Are the shock absorbers in good shape?  We never have hangers fall off, even on bumpy roads.
Bad shocks would allow the rear axle to bounce too much and could be the cause of your problem.

Larry
Larry, Yes new shocks.. they only fall off on the unanticipated, pronounced dips, generally on smooth roads - has not happened often so not a world class problem but preventable with some sort of hanger lock.
Shift Colors - Underway
1999 26.5 IB

Reply #15
We use the "Stay-put" hangers from Camping World. Does what it says on the tin.
fu
2015TK

Reply #16
The best answer is don't hang clothes. Roll or fold clothes and place on shelves. Adjustable shelving is easy to add to any closet and is so much more functional than hanging clothes in a house on the move.
Garry

Reply #17
Hmmm, 13 years of weekend warrioring and never a slip off the hanging hole. Of course, we don't get too far off road when driving 75 miles to a campsite.

That said, if you use wire hangers it's pretty easy to bend the wire hook sharply ensuring the item stays in place.
Ruby, the red 2004 26' RK hauling Dave and Kristine hither and yon

Reply #18
Hmmm, 13 years of weekend warrioring and never a slip off the hanging hole. Of course, we don't get too far off road when driving 75 miles to a campsite.

That said, if you use wire hangers it's pretty easy to bend the wire hook sharply ensuring the item stays in place.
OMG! WIRE HANGERS! What would Joan Crawford say?

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #20
I was using plastic hangers and never had one fall off. But I just got some velvet huggable hangers from JOY because they are slimmer, taking up less room, and clothes don't fall off.  You can get clips for skirts too. I really like them.
Enjoying our 2013 MB,  our first was a 2005 26'IB
NE54 & SE11
Fran and Matt
Wagonmasters of the NELD Caravan group
2017-2019

Reply #21

Camping World and Amazon sell "Stay-put" hangers that really do stay put. We have a dozen of these and none have come loose, whether hanging on a rod or in the slotted things in newer LD closets.

Amazon.com: Tri-Lynx 1200W Lynx Stay-Put Hanger Set of 6: Automotive

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
fu
2015TK