Skip to main content
Topic: Golden Caravan (Read 555 times) previous topic - next topic
Golden Caravan
I was cleaning up the files on our web server and came across this image.  Some of you may have seen this or similar images, but it was the most LD's we've ever seen together.  This was at the national Golden Caravan in 2006 celebrating Laze Daze 50th year building RVs.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Re: Golden Caravan
Reply #1
Wow, think I've died and gone to LD Heaven!  Where was the photo taken at, Art?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #2
The Golden Caravan was held at the end of June 2006 in the fairgrounds in Cheyenne, WY.

Art
Art and Barbara
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #3
What a cool picture ;D   Thanks for sharing your memories. 
2006 31' IB Anniversary Edition; Tow 97' Wrangler

Reply #4
The Grand Caravan was the biggest gathering ever of the flock. It was a week of numerious fun activities and parties.
Most of the  forum members, Yahoo then, camped together as a group and it was the beginning of many long friendships.
There are still quite a few present forum members that attended.

Anyone have the aerial photo on the Grand Caravan, the one that looks like a big used Lazy Daze sales lot?

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
That sure was a fun time! 🚐😁
Daughter of the first Lazy Bones
Hitting the road on my own and with a friend 🚐 while reporting back to the Lazy Bones at home 🛋

2 Lazy Bones - Home

Reply #6
Hey, I think I can see my rig way over there on the last row.  :D  ;)

And tucked away in the LD herself is the video of the whole affair.  O:)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #8
Awesome picture. That would have been fun to be there.
Lynn and Lori

Reply #9
That's amazing!  I've never seen so many in one place before, even in a photo.
Hi, I'm Jo!
My little red wagon is a 1997 23.5 TK

Reply #10
So, just how many rigs were in attendance?

We were only in the dreaming mode at that time.

--Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #11
Anyone have the aerial photo on the Grand Caravan, the one that looks like a big used Lazy Daze sales lot?

It's not a great image, but I found this one on the web.

Art
Art and Barbara
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #12
It's not a great image, but I found this one on the web.

Art
I looked on the web but couldn't find one, Art. I scanned my copy and cropped it a bit for the banner. There were about 300 + a handful of LDs there from all over the country.
Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #13
I found us!! The LD Yahoo group was over on the right side of the picture. If you look at the second row in from the bottom right you will see one, out of place, size-wise little bitty LD. That is the world famous Gerty!! We had three rigs between her and Ruby. On the outside row across from us we're Jonna and Mimi who I believe moved to Mexico and sold Tortuga and Sapo.

Good times. I have pictures lying about too. I tried to upload a video I made stand on Ruby's roof but it was far too large to upload here.
Ruby, the red 2004 26' RK hauling Dave and Kristine hither and yon

Reply #14
Good job, Art and Chris!  :D

I remember there being about 400 LDs there, but my memory is not always real accurate! Anyone have an actual number?

One thing I do remember - and I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one - is having to move my rig into perfect alignment for the aerial shot; some fellow (can't recall who) actually "sighted" down the noses of the rigs! I thought he was joking when he said that I was not "in line" with the others; I said that I never had been, so why start now?  I moved anyway;  ;)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #15
huskerblue

I know Andy and Gertie were close by because I walked down the street one day having a fine conversation with Andy. And I remember clearly that we (Lazy Bones 2) and myself were diagonally across the street from Larry Wade when he was on his roof giving a demo of his kayak rack.   ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #16
I found us!! The LD Yahoo group was over on the right side of the picture. If you look at the second row in from the bottom right you will see one, out of place, size-wise little bitty LD. That is the world famous Gerty!! We had three rigs between her and Ruby. On the outside row across from us we're Jonna and Mimi who I believe moved to Mexico and sold Tortuga and Sapo.

Good times. I have pictures lying about too. I tried to upload a video I made stand on Ruby's roof but it was far too large to upload here.
I remember you sitting in your chairs with the pups at your feet.
Chris

Reply #17
I remember there being about 400 LDs there, but my memory is not always real accurate! Anyone have an actual number?

One thing I do remember - and I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one - is having to move my rig into perfect alignment for the aerial shot; some fellow (can't recall who) actually "sighted" down the noses of the rigs! I thought he was joking when he said that I was not "in line" with the others; I said that I never had been, so why start now?  I moved anyway;  ;)
The number was over 400, something like 420.
Next time we see Rosemary Webb, I will find out.
We were exactly spotted in our parking spot, after a few failed attempts, by Evelyn, I remember her spiffy sports bra.

We were parked a several sites away from Gertie and across from Linda and Armando, alumni friends we still see at the Morro Bay GTG. Jonna and Mimi's ('party central) were across the road and down a couple sites.
Chris and Pat were somewhere nearby, along with Gus Weber. Kate and Terry were near Andy.
Good times with the Yahoo group.
It's been all down hill since.

Larry

Larry

Reply #18
I found us!! The LD Yahoo group was over on the right side of the picture. If you look at the second row in from the bottom right you will see one, out of place, size-wise little bitty LD. That is the world famous Gerty!! We had three rigs between her and Ruby. On the outside row across from us we're Jonna and Mimi who I believe moved to Mexico and sold Tortuga and Sapo..

My wife  and I can't figure out who you are.
We were neighbors.

Jonna and Mimi move to Merida, in the Yucatan.
Turns out there is a large American expat population living there.

Larry
Larry

Reply #19
Dang, I remember that kayak carrying demo. We only stayed a few days. Kristine and I ran into a younger couple Darryl and Jenny and hung with them.

Wow, time sure flys. 11 years plus.

Ruby, the red 2004 26' RK hauling Dave and Kristine hither and yon

Reply #20
If my memory is right, just over 300 were there.  It was a blast!
2003 MB

Reply #21
If my memory is right, just over 300 were there.  It was a blast!
I counted the LDs on the aerial photo and got just a few over 300. There could have been a few out of the photo on the fringes, and not all the folks may have been there on the day of the photo.

Chris

Reply #22
Would be great if some folks who attended the rally would post some of their rally related pics.

I've downloaded the last two and posted them to our groups website.

H.T.
NE 26
2003 MB

Reply #23
For those of you who are genuinely interested, you may want to contact the Caravan Club and see if by chance copies of the original DVD are available, or perhaps some generous soul on this forum would make copies of their personal disc.  ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #24
Should another country-wide get together be considered?
2011 MB