Skip to main content
Topic: Motorhome Fire in the Tetons (Read 279 times) previous topic - next topic
Motorhome Fire in the Tetons
I think we have a couple of LDOs in this area so I thought I'd post this information.

Motor home fire causes brief traffic delay in Teton Pass - East Idaho News

Clearly a Class A and highway 22 is well known for being extremely steep.   We drove it in a Subaru but I'd not want to try in the LD.   As the news article mentioned ... a total loss.  I wonder if their braking system overheated and started the fire?

Re: Motorhome Fire in the Tetons
Reply #1
Prevost H3.... Unclear if it was a private RV or entertainer coach.  There is a post on the Prevost Owners Group's FB page showing the same coach from the side.  The greatest fire damage was from the kitchen through the tag axle.  No word over there, but people are theorizing brakes.

Reply #2
A lot of folks don't know how or when to down shift... I blame that on the advent of the 'Automatic' transmission.  >:(
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #3
No matter how it happened my hope is that the people are all right. What a scary experence, may we never go through something like that ourselves 🙏
Daughter of the first Lazy Bones
Hitting the road on my own and with a friend 🚐 while reporting back to the Lazy Bones at home 🛋

2 Lazy Bones - Home

Reply #4
No matter how it happened my hope is that the people are all right. What a scary experence, may we never go through something like that ourselves 🙏

The news article I saw said that they were OK...didn't even have to go to the hospital.
Linda Hylton

Reply #5
"...highway 22 is well known for being extremely steep.   We drove it in a Subaru but I'd not want to try in the LD."
---
WYO 22 does have sections of 10% grades on both sides of the 8400' summit  (and the "truck escapes" require crossing oncoming traffic!) but, IIRC, the road is less than 18 miles long between Victor, ID, and Wilson, WY. I've driven Teton Pass in both directions three times without any issues, but my LD is a 23.5' and I don't tow. It's certainly not fast, and one does have to gear way down and use the brakes judiciously on the downhills and curves, but, IMO, 22 is a viable road choice - if one follows the "rules" of mountain driving.

As ever, YMMV, of course!
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
Prevost H3.... Unclear if it was a private RV or entertainer coach.  There is a post on the Prevost Owners Group's FB page showing the same coach from the side.  The greatest fire damage was from the kitchen through the tag axle.  No word over there, but people are theorizing brakes.

From the photo, looks like fire started in rear brakes or possibly the refer.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #8
Prevosts of that generation don't have absorption fridges (or propane, for that matter)

My bad. Prevost is way above my paygrade!
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #9
As Joan said, Teton Pass is high and steep, but I have driven it numerous times, towing my Subaru.  It is low gear most of the way, and judicious use of brakes, but I have never overheated, nor used the brakes so much that they might have overheated.

Ken F in WY
'08 MB

Reply #10
We drove it last year. 31'  un hitched.  Drove the wrangler behind the LD. Robin geared down and had no issue. Slow because windy. I had some issue going up. Third and fourth gears. Down was all third gear o stay off the LD bumper. 

Sad to see something like that. And hard for anyone to get there in time to do something about it.

Lydia
Lydia.
Current: 2020 JLUR w 15’ Squaredrop
Former: 2006 30IB Anniversary Edition

Reply #11
A 45' Prevost can weigh more than 50,000 pounds.  Even with a well designed braking system that much weight could easily have gotten away from an in-experienced driver.  The 45' double slide Newell we owned weighed over 48,000 pounds and newer ones are quite a bit heavier.   I've driven many steep climbs and descents and with the jake brake and transmission never had a problem safely descending.  From the picture the fire looks like it was concentrated over the drive axle and could have been overheated brakes.
2004 26.5 MB
Enjoying retirement traveling, Rzr riding, photography, and of course the 2 grand girls!

Reply #12
Here is another motor home fire that occurred a few months back on I-15 in the Virgin River Gorge. At 700k, I hope these folks had insurance. I guess just because one has a high-end RV, it doesn't mean it's immune to fire:

Fire engulfs 0,000 motorhome in gorge – St George News
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #13
Class A towing pickup, towing flat-bed trailer.

How do you spell 'DUMB' ??    ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #15
Legal yes... for professional drivers! For amateur drivers... DUMB!
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!