Skip to main content
Topic: RV generator running time (Read 395 times) previous topic - next topic
RV generator running time
Hi

What is the longest any of you have run the generator with the AC on?  Planning ahead for a dog event and need to keep them cool.

Thanks
Corky
2013 TK

Re: RV generator running time
Reply #1
Hi

What is the longest any of you have run the generator with the AC on?  Planning ahead for a dog event and need to keep them cool.
As long as the oil is changed on time, and is maintained at a proper level, there is no reason why it can't run indefinitely .
You may be tired of hearing run after a day and so may your neighbors. make sure there is adequate ventilation to avoid the buildup of exhaust fumes.
You may be interested in a exhaust pipe that dumps the fumes above the roof level.
Gen-turiâ„¢ Generator Exhaust System - Camco
Amazon.com: Camco 44461 Gen-Turi Generator Exhaust Venting System: Automotive

It will run out of fuel when the LD's gas tank reach the 1/4 full level, the fuel pump is designed not to allow the generator to totally drain the gasoline tank.
The generator uses about 1/2-gallon of fuel, per hour, when running the A/C.
Follow the Onan Owner's Manual maintenance schedule.

Larry
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
A couple of summers ago I drove to Las Vegas, there to pick up my daughter and friend. We then proceeded to visit Bryce, Zion and GC. Then it was back to L.V. to deliver my crew to the airport.

All told, for the two 2 night stops I'd estimate a total generator run time of 48 hours on each occasion.
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #3
Great! That's good to know.  I am estimating about 4 to 6 hours of run time, so should be okay. WHEW!
2013 TK

Reply #4
Just remember to start out with a full tank of gas and all will well
2009 Kodiak 32 foot Island Bed

Reply #5
On 29 June 2012 the Washington DC area had a wind event, a derecho.  Our home was without power for two weeks.  Having grown up in areas where there were hurricanes and typhoons I immediately went and pulled the RV out of storage, put ice in the refrigerator to help it get cool, loaded the water tank, and kicked on the AC.  The generator ran hours and hours every day.  As the rest of the area got power in a few days, a circuit for the houses on our street blew and we lost power.  Because there were so few houses affected we were near the last to have power restored.  Two weeks.   We ran power tools (contractors were working on a project), we were the neighborhood cooling station (this was July and there were 90-100 degree days with lots of humidity) and the neighbor hood cell phone charging station.   Two years later I had an issue with the fuel pump but I can not prove the extended running time was the cause.  I had just changed the oil on the generator before the event (not planning just luck) and did it again after a several days of constant running and again after the event.

The upside of this event is that I never have issues with the neighbors about keeping the RV in the driveway for a few extra days.

PS
when I purchased my RV a year before the storm it only had 40 hours on the generator after four or five years.  I put a some few hundred hours on the generator during that time.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #6
Smart people include their RVs in their natural and non-natural disaster preparedness. Always keep the rig stocked with non perishable food, propane, water, a full tank of fuel and a working generator. Dry camping experience is a huge asset too.

Forget the "survival food" packages you see in ads and infomercials. Most of it is awful, loaded with sugar and starch and low on protein. It's way overpriced too. Buy more of the canned / shelf stable foods you already eat instead. Learn how to cook things like dried beans from scratch -- an Instant Pot is ideal for this as it saves time and fuel compared to traditional cooking methods.
fu
2015TK

Reply #7
Thanks to all who replied! I agree our RV can be a godsend when disaster strikes.

One additional question, did you guys put the awning out when running the generator? Or will that trap exhaust fumes? We hve the TK 24.
2013 TK

Reply #8
Thanks to all who replied! I agree our RV can be a godsend when disaster strikes.

One additional question, did you guys put the awning out when running the generator? Or will that trap exhaust fumes? We hve the TK 24.
The generator's exhaust is on the opposite side of the RV with my LD.  I never noticed the exhaust fumes being noticeable under the awning, but that may be more a function of a light breeze.  When running the genie I do follow the factory advice and keep all windows and vents closed.  If I can have the windows/vents open I don't really need the genie.  I was at a poodle event a few years ago and most of the RV had the genies going all the time.  They also had pens setup out side.  I think it is more likely your time under the awning may be more subject to exhaust gas from your neighbor's RV at a dog event.  I might not put the awning out unless there was a mild breeze.  
You would not want to leave it extended while showing/competing/playing at the dog event.  I leave the legs down and crank in place but role the awning up almost all the way when away from the RV.  That way if a wind kicks up I don't have to drop everything and hobble back to the RV.
I am having trouble phrasing this the following.  I am afraid to leave the dogs in the RV trusting the generator to keep them cool.  I'll do it for short periods, depending on how hot it is.  But I always return soon enough that should the generator fail the heat load would not kill the pups.  My generator has failed once due to a bad fuel pump.  I would not want that to happen when the dogs were alone.
John 
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #9
RV.
I am having trouble phrasing this the following.  I am afraid to leave the dogs in the RV trusting the generator to keep them cool.  I'll do it for short periods, depending on how hot it is.  But I always return soon enough that should the generator fail the heat load would not kill the pups.  My generator has failed once due to a bad fuel pump.  I would not want that to happen when the dogs were alone.
John

Well, the failure also can happen to the AC regardless of how well the gennie performs. Happened to us on our maiden voyage in our '06 TK. Enroute to Utah, we spent several days in Vegas at the infamous Circus Circus RV parking lot. Acres of asphalt, no shade, 105 degrees temp. Loni was attending a conference and we left the rig for the day with the cat inside and the AC running and the control set to the automatic cycle.  We were plugged in, not on the gennie. Came back that evening to find the AC blowing ambient (well over 100 inside) air, no cooling, and a wet noodle cat prostrate on the floor. Cat revived with wet towels and survived for several more years of trips. Turned out our start capacitor on the AC failed. When we ultimately got it fixed, the tech told us NEVER to leave the AC running while set to either (a) the automatic cycle (where it turns on and off by itself according to whatever temperature setting you have chosen) or (b) the "low" fan setting. According to him, these Dometic units are subject to freezing on these settings and causing the start capacitor to fail. He said to always run the unit on the medium or high fan settings, and forget about the "auto" setting. He also said the capacitors that Dometic was then installing were cheap quality, which was the real problem. Anyway, I've followed his advice these past ten years and the AC has continued to work reliably. No more cat-astrophes. 😁  Whether what he said is a universal truth, I dunno. I suspect there are many who use the "banned" settings without problems, but I would prefer to err on the side of caution when dealing with pet safety. YMMV!  -- Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #10
"He said to always run the unit on the medium or high fan settings, and forget about the "auto" setting. He also said the capacitors that Dometic was then installing were cheap quality, which was the real problem."
---
Thanks for this, Jon! For several reasons, I don't run the AC very often, but if/when I have to turn it on and leave the dog alone in the rig (which I don't do for long when it's hot), I do worry about a possible power supply failure or an AC shut-down like you described. I will make sure that the "cheap capacitor Dometic" (not a surprise) AC fan is on at least "MED"!

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #11
Would it defeat the purpose of having the AC on to open the roof vents (either powered or not)--thinking about the convection of cold air sinking/heat rising, so that even if some mechanical calamity occurred to either the genie or AC the heat would be a little less trapped in the coach?

Lynne
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #12
Would it defeat the purpose of having the AC on to open the roof vents (either powered or not)--thinking about the convection of cold air sinking/heat rising,
Yes.  Anytime the rooftop A/C is on, close the rig up for maximum cooling.
If a vent is open, hot air from the outside will enter. Any hot, interior air exiting an vent, will allow an equal amount of outside air to enter somewhere, to keep the interior and exterior air pressures equalized.

FYI, In hot or cold weather, when parked, set the dash HVAC control to "Off",  to close off the dash's air vents.
If the wind is blowing toward the front of the LD, you can feel the exterior air flowing from the vents, unless the control is set to "Off".  In the summer, the dash vents can feel like a heater, in the winter, an A/C outlet.

Do leave a vent or window open if an evaporative cooler is in use.

Larry
Larry

Reply #13
And, not that one would have the vent open and the FF on when the AC was running, but when cooling the interior with the FF (on "intake"), don't operate the generator!  :o
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #14
"Whether what he said is a universal truth, I dunno."

I do, it is not! 

When I got my new to me LD, the first hot weather I set a calibrated thermometer on the counter and turned the AC on. I then monitored the temperature and adjusted the control thermostat until the temperature was maintained (automatically) at 78 degrees inside, my preferred temperature.  This was\is at 4 on the dial.  Since then, I've never touched the thermostat dial, and only run the system in auto with the fan on LOW (it's a bit quieter, and offers slightly better humidity control if that's important).  Operation has been reliable and trouble-free.  No coil icing expected at this temperature, or observed.  In fact, if there were, I would expect another cause, dirty filters, evaporator, or fan motor blades, or a refrigeration system problem.
Bill
2003 -- 23' FL

Reply #15
Thx, Larry & Joan.

I never thought about hot air sinking down into the rig.  I've only used the AC a few times when plugged in & with vents shut, and never left the 4-Legged Alarm alone when it was hot out, but this thread got me thinking about the consequences of such potential mechanical calamities.  The value of the wisdom on this site cannot be calculated.

Lynne
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #16
Thx, Larry & Joan.

I never thought about hot air sinking down into the rig.  I've only used the AC a few times when plugged in & with vents shut, and never left the 4-Legged Alarm alone when it was hot out, but this thread got me thinking about the consequences of such potential mechanical calamities. 
Leaving animals in a rig, with the generator and A/C providing a cool and safe environment for several hours, is risky.
Generators do occasionally stop for unpredicted reasons.
Traveling with animals is a huge responsibility and limits one's travel style, one reason why we have not replaced our departed cats. 

Larry
Larry

Reply #17
"Whether what he said is a universal truth, I dunno."

I do, it is not! 

When I got my new to me LD, the first hot weather I set a calibrated thermometer on the counter and turned the AC on. I then monitored the temperature and adjusted the control thermostat until the temperature was maintained (automatically) at 78 degrees inside, my preferred temperature.  This was\is at 4 on the dial.  Since then, I've never touched the thermostat dial, and only run the system in auto with the fan on LOW (it's a bit quieter, and offers slightly better humidity control if that's important).  Operation has been reliable and trouble-free.  No coil icing expected at this temperature, or observed.  In fact, if there were, I would expect another cause, dirty filters, evaporator, or fan motor blades, or a refrigeration system problem.

When our unit failed, it and the rig were only two months old, so I don't think dirty elements were at play in our case. I'm sure there are many possible causes for the start capacitor failure. The mechanic had done a lot of these, so I've trusted his explanation and remedy. But, for sure, YMMV!
-- Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄