Skip to main content
Topic: Andy Baird Question (Read 3614 times) previous topic - next topic
Andy Baird Question
I've noticed that Andy Baird hasn't be around the LD neighborhood for awhile.  I'm hoping all is well with him and that he's off in some distant place enjoying the tranquility of a remote campsite ... where it's cool!  

Re: Andy Baird Question
Reply #1
Andy's book, travel blog, Eureka, and his support here were all instrumental in our development in 2012 when we bought our first Lazy Daze. Andy..hope you're doing well!!
Todd (and Steve)
'17 Winnebago Minnie Winnie and '13 Honda CRV
(Former '99 RB owners from 2012-2016)

Reply #2
I ran into Andy at an RV park in Kingman last week. He is keeping busy and doing well.
Cindy Beck
2004 MB Blue/White, Honda CRV
Corona, CA

Reply #3
I’m fine—thanks for asking. For the past few months I’ve been busy on a new adventure: moving into a 27’ Airstream trailer. Skylark, my 2003 midbath Lazy Daze, is in good hands: my friends Karen (“OldJerseyLady”) and her husband George headed out in her yesterday. They’ve upgraded from a Chevy-based 1989 22’ twin/king, so they are delighted, and I know they’ll take good care of their new home.

Why an Airstream? Well, I had been thinking about moving to a newer rig, but the latest Lazy Dazes didn’t excite me. I’ve never liked the interior design choices made by the factory, and he latest models have darker wallpaper, no escape hatch and other changes I don’t care for compared to my 2003. Besides, buying a new LD would just mean starting over with all the same upgrades I’d made to Skylark over the years. That was an unappealing prospect.

Then a friend dragged me to an Airstream dealer to look at their trailers. I had always said that if I ever bought a trailer, it would be an Airstream. Their clean, unadorned lines and streamlined shape appealed to me. No slideouts, no swoops and swirls painted on a big box—just an honest, functional piece of machinery in plain silver aluminum. But I had never seriously considered a truck + trailer rig, despite the fact that it has some advantages: e.g., no need to leave my home in the hands of a mechanic every time the engine needs an oil change.

However, once I got inside an “International Serenity” Airstream, I fell in love. The clean, modern interior was exactly what I had always wanted. It felt spacious and bright compared to my midbath. (Turns out a 27’ trailer has a lot more living space than a 27’ motorhome.) Panoramic windows at both ends, large side windows, “Vista View” upper windows (like the ones on an old VW Microbus), multiple skylights and Fan-Tastic vents added up to a bright interior, complemented by light bamboo-like laminate-covered cabinets and aluminum walls. The cushions were covered in salsa-colored Ultraleather, adding a cheerful touch of color. The only thing dark was the floor, and I could live with that.

The quality of the hardware was well above LD’s—euro-style adjustable hinges on all the doors, smooth dual full-suspension, self-closing drawer slides, a Corian counter, a large, deep stainless steel kitchen sink, and so on. I could go on, but suffice it to say that just sitting in the Airstream made me smile. And did I mention the queen-sized island bed in the front? After fifteen years of climbing in and out of an overcab bed several times a night, I was ready for that.

So I ordered one, and bought a truck to go with it—a Ford F-150 pickup with tow package and a passel of options—heated and air conditioned seats, “lane assistance” (the darn thing steers itself!), “adaptive cruise control” (maintains a constant distance from the vehicle in front of it), and so on. It’s a long way beyond the basic features of the 2003 E450 van chassis I was used to. It’s also quite powerful, with a dual-turbocharger “EcoBoost” V6 engine that gets 15-16 mpg when towing my 7,000-pound trailer, compared to the 9 mpg I was getting with Skylark towing a Subaru Forester.

The truck has been great so far; I’ve already put 10,000 miles on it with zero problems. The downsides of the trailer are the dealer experience and the build quality. I was prepared for both, but that didn’t make it any more fun. The dealer experience was about what you’d expect: for example, the eager-beaver salesman stopped responding to emails as soon as the purchase was completed. As for the quality… well, I’d characterize it this way: excellent design, very good materials, and sloppy workmanship.

Yes, this is a mass-produced RV. When my friend and did an initial inspection, we came up with multiple pages of assembly defects. It took the dealership more than a month of foot-dragging to correct most of them. Some I fixed myself after purchase, because it was just easier. A few, such as the misaligned hinges that cause the entry door to scrape at the top left corner, remain to be fixed.

So it’s not a bed of roses… but I love living in this trailer. Just looking around the interior with its smoothly curved lines still makes me smile. I’ll be adding solar panels and lithium batteries next winter, but for now I’m plugged into shore power, since Airstream’s supplied batteries (two flooded-cell group 24 Interstates) aren’t good for much more than running the lights. Of course I’m still putting things away and organizing the interior storage. There’s plenty to be done, but mainly I’m just enjoying my new home.

Even though I no longer own a Lazy Daze, I don’t plan to leave this group—not on your life! Lazy Dazers feel like family, having educated and nurtured me through sixteen years of RVing. I can never fully repay that debt, because RVing changed my life for the better in so many ways. So I’ll still be around, if perhaps not as active as before.

Happy trails to all!
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
Did you get the joystick-controlled trailer backing package on the F-150?  It looks like a video game...

Chip
2000 Front Lounge

Reply #5
"Did you get the joystick-controlled trailer backing package"

Yes, I got the "Pro Trailer Backup Assist"  package--it uses a knob rather than a joystick--but I have not yet used it. Experienced trailer-towing friends advised learning to back up the traditional way, without electronic aids, first, so I did. Rather than risk screwing up my Airstream, I rented a 12' U-Haul trailer for an afternoon and went to a remote area where a friend coached me in backing into a (simulated) campsite.

I do use the truck's backup camera when hitching up. It displays guidelines to show where you're heading, and a special mode that gives you a magnified view of just the trailer hitch, which makes it fairly easy to get lined up and coupled. And I'll be adding a wireless backup camera to the trailer itself, so I can see where I'm going and not bump into things. :-)

I also added a ProPride 3 antisway/weight distributing hitch to the trailer. Expensive, and a pain in the ass to install, but worth it: having driven 500 miles with it, I've experienced absolutely no trailer sway. When a gusty sidewind hits or a semi passes, the truck and trailer move as one, just as if I were driving a motorhome. No "tail wagging the dog" problems, in other words.

Andy
Andy Baird

Reply #7
Here ya go! (I'll post interior photos eventually, if anybody's interested, but right now it's still too messy to show off. ;-)
Andy Baird

Reply #8
Wow! News indeed...
We always look at Airstreams. The build quality is like any other, once you are familiar with Lazy Daze nothing compares well.  But the finish of the Airstream is seductive. Our favorite is the Eddie Bauer edition with the big rear hatch. 

I think you will love the flexibility of towing, given your style of living.  And that F-150! A great all around vehicle. I hope it's enough truck.  This may be our next evolution so will be looking for your writings. Are you on Airforums?
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #9
"Are you on Airforums?"

Yes, posting as "Paprika"--the name I gave the new trailer, as a tribute to its dark red cushions. But there's so much traffic on that forum that I can't keep up, much less actively participate. Lots of smart, knowledgeable people, and I pick up snippets of info here and there when I have time to dip into the Airforums... but I haven't had much time lately.

"I hope it's enough truck."

In my limited experience, it does fine (although I gather that some kind of weight-distributing hitch, if not the ProPride, is a necessity to prevent the rear from sagging too much). Several knowledgeable 27' Airstream + F-150 owners on the Airforums say that it's a good combination. In particular, the EcoBoost engine has as much torque as a diesel at the low end, where it matters for trailering, and gets pretty good fuel economy, as mentioned. (And have I mentioned how much I love the ten-speed automatic transmission?)

For my lifestyle, this Airstream as delivered has two major limitations: as mentioned, the electrical system is way less powerful than I'm used to; and it has low ground clearance, which the ProPride hitch reduces even more. In the long run, I'll be adding 600 W of Renogy Eclipse panels on the roof, 360-400 Ah of (probably) Victron Smart Lithium batteries under the forward bed, a Victron solar controller, and a Victron 2,000 W inverter/charger, all with appropriately beefed up wiring.

The low ground clearance can be remedied as well: swapping in 16" wheels instead of the 15" ones the factory put on, and adding a 3" Dexter axle lift kit, will get me a significant improvement in that department. All of these modifications will get done next fall and winter. But as it stands now, I'm not really equipped for boondocking. Since I've spent about 95% of my time time dry-camping on public land in the past few years, that's a big change. But I'll just have to live the full-hookup life for the next few months.
Andy Baird

Reply #10
I’m fine—thanks for asking. For the past few months I’ve been busy on a new adventure: moving into a 27’ Airstream trailer. Skylark, my 2003 midbath Lazy Daze, is in good hands: my friends Karen (“OldJerseyLady”) and her husband George headed out in her yesterday. They’ve upgraded from a Chevy-based 1989 22’ twin/king, so they are delighted, and I know they’ll take good care of their new home.

Why an Airstream? Well, I had been thinking about moving to a newer rig, but the latest Lazy Dazes didn’t excite me. I’ve never liked the interior design choices made by the factory, and he latest models have darker wallpaper, no escape hatch and other changes I don’t care for compared to my 2003. Besides, buying a new LD would just mean starting over with all the same upgrades I’d made to Skylark over the years. That was an unappealing prospect.

Then a friend dragged me to an Airstream dealer to look at their trailers. I had always said that if I ever bought a trailer, it would be an Airstream. Their clean, unadorned lines and streamlined shape appealed to me. No slideouts, no swoops and swirls painted on a big box—just an honest, functional piece of machinery in plain silver aluminum. But I had never seriously considered a truck + trailer rig, despite the fact that it has some advantages: e.g., no need to leave my home in the hands of a mechanic every time the engine needs an oil change.

However, once I got inside an “International Serenity” Airstream, I fell in love. The clean, modern interior was exactly what I had always wanted. It felt spacious and bright compared to my midbath. (Turns out a 27’ trailer has a lot more living space than a 27’ motorhome.) Panoramic windows at both ends, large side windows, “Vista View” upper windows (like the ones on an old VW Microbus), multiple skylights and Fan-Tastic vents added up to a bright interior, complemented by light bamboo-like laminate-covered cabinets and aluminum walls. The cushions were covered in salsa-colored Ultraleather, adding a cheerful touch of color. The only thing dark was the floor, and I could live with that.

The quality of the hardware was well above LD’s—euro-style adjustable hinges on all the doors, smooth dual full-suspension, self-closing drawer slides, a Corian counter, a large, deep stainless steel kitchen sink, and so on. I could go on, but suffice it to say that just sitting in the Airstream made me smile. And did I mention the queen-sized island bed in the front? After fifteen years of climbing in and out of an overcab bed several times a night, I was ready for that.

So I ordered one, and bought a truck to go with it—a Ford F-150 pickup with tow package and a passel of options—heated and air conditioned seats, “lane assistance” (the darn thing steers itself!), “adaptive cruise control” (maintains a constant distance from the vehicle in front of it), and so on. It’s a long way beyond the basic features of the 2003 E450 van chassis I was used to. It’s also quite powerful, with a dual-turbocharger “EcoBoost” V6 engine that gets 15-16 mpg when towing my 7,000-pound trailer, compared to the 9 mpg I was getting with Skylark towing a Subaru Forester.

The truck has been great so far; I’ve already put 10,000 miles on it with zero problems. The downsides of the trailer are the dealer experience and the build quality. I was prepared for both, but that didn’t make it any more fun. The dealer experience was about what you’d expect: for example, the eager-beaver salesman stopped responding to emails as soon as the purchase was completed. As for the quality… well, I’d characterize it this way: excellent design, very good materials, and sloppy workmanship.

Yes, this is a mass-produced RV. When my friend and did an initial inspection, we came up with multiple pages of assembly defects. It took the dealership more than a month of foot-dragging to correct most of them. Some I fixed myself after purchase, because it was just easier. A few, such as the misaligned hinges that cause the entry door to scrape at the top left corner, remain to be fixed.

So it’s not a bed of roses… but I love living in this trailer. Just looking around the interior with its smoothly curved lines still makes me smile. I’ll be adding solar panels and lithium batteries next winter, but for now I’m plugged into shore power, since Airstream’s supplied batteries (two flooded-cell group 24 Interstates) aren’t good for much more than running the lights. Of course I’m still putting things away and organizing the interior storage. There’s plenty to be done, but mainly I’m just enjoying my new home.

Even though I no longer own a Lazy Daze, I don’t plan to leave this group—not on your life! Lazy Dazers feel like family, having educated and nurtured me through sixteen years of RVing. I can never fully repay that debt, because RVing changed my life for the better in so many ways. So I’ll still be around, if perhaps not as active as before.

Happy trails to all!
Dealer experience and build quality. Yuk! I have read over the last years that when Thor bought Airstream quality went into the you know what. Those two detractors in the buying experience would probably keep me from buying any other brand. But I'm old enough to admit this LD will be my one and only RV.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #11
"I have read over the last years that when Thor bought Airstream quality went into the you know what."

I've heard the same, so I was prepared for assembly flaws. The best I can say is that they were no shock. But it's a shame that such a beautiful coach could not have been built with just a little more attention to detail. LD's workmanship isn't  perfect, but it's ahead of most other RV makers. If the inside and outside design of this  Airstream hadn't been almost exactly what I've wanted all these years, I wouldn't have considered a Thor product. But once I get past the teething problems, I think I'll be very happy in this coach.
Andy Baird

Reply #12
Andy, we have always admired the look of the Airstream. Toured the plant in 2011 which was interesting to see.

One thing I have wondered about them is storage space and CCC. How does the storage compare to your LD and what is the CCC?

Jim

Reply #13
Andy, I have a Hensley Arrow hitch I would like to be rid of.  I found it as good as the claims when hauling. Lots of Airstreamers use them, let me know if you are interested.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #14
May Paprika bring you as much happiness as did Gertie and Skylark, and I am glad you will be sticking around.

Ken F in WY
'08 MB

Reply #15
"How does the storage compare to your LD and what is the CCC?"

I haven't measured storage space, but I'd say inside storage is comparable to my midbath, while outside storage is a lot less. (But the crew-cab pickup more than makes up for that, especially since I've removed the back seat.) Airstream says this model's NCC is 1,776 pounds, but I'm not sure exactly how that compares with the 1,536-pound CCC that Lazy Daze published for my 2003 midbath.
Andy Baird

Reply #16
"I have a Hensley Arrow hitch I would like to be rid of. "

Thanks for the offer, Paul. The Hensley Arrow hitch is a good one. The ProPride 3 hitch that I installed was also designed by Doug Hensley, as an improved version of the Arrow hitch. (The short version is that he had a falling out with the Hensley company when they refused to introduce improvements to the design, preferring to rest on their laurels and keep on selling the original Arrow hitch. Hensley then licensed his improved design to ProPride.) So what I have now does the same job as the Hensley Arrow hitch, and may be a bit better. :-) From what I've read, both hitches perform better than anything else on the market, so you can't go wrong with either one.
Andy Baird

Reply #17
Andy

You might want to investigate the PullRite hitch. I towed a 30' Holiday Rambler TT for ten (10) years with one of these. They mount underneath the chassis and the rotation point is just behind the rear axel, giving you an operation much like a 5th Wheel hitch. I could, and have, made a 'U' turn on a wide highway. Weight equalization is an integral part of the hitch using a pair of torsion bars. When unhitched the tow bar swings out of sight and pins in place. That hitch went from Calif. to Connecticut and to Alaska and back with zero issues.  :)

Oops... sorry, the tow vehicle was an E-350 Ford Window Van.

Standard PullRite 10K | Fifth Wheel Hitches by PullRite
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #18
"the rotation point is just behind the rear axel, giving you an operation much like a 5th Wheel hitch."

Yes, that's what the Hensley Arrow and Hensley-designed ProPride hitches do: project a "virtual pivot point" at the tow vehicle's rear axle, so that a travel trailer handles like a fifth wheel trailer. (In addition, they handle weight distribution, minimizing rear-end sag.) There are several hitches that perform one or both of these functions, including PullRite's. The Hensley Arrow and ProPride P3 hitches were recommended over other brands when I researched this topic, so I went with ProPride.
Andy Baird

Reply #19
I must say that I've always enjoyed reading stories and accounts when people achieve these kinds of goals in life ... like this new chapter in Andy Baird's life.  So I'd like to say "Andy, well done" and thank you for sharing your Airstream story with us.   

Reply #20
Kristine and I will buy one more rig in our lives, probably four years out give or take. I admit to having a wandering eye with all the innovations out these days. However, I read about shoddy workmanship and six page punch lists versus my six item LD punch list and I just don't think I have the constitution to deal with the hassle.

Decisions, decisions.

Dave
Ruby, the red 2004 26' RK hauling Dave and Kristine hither and yon

Reply #21
Dave, Sometimes I think that the build problems of SOB's is a little overstated.  We owned a 2000 MB for over 10 years and since have owned 2 Keystone products.  The first, a Montana High Country 5th wheel and recently a little Bullet Crossfire 1800RB.  Both had minor problems, all of which I was able to fix myself, so neither had to go back to the dealer for warranty service.  On the other hand, our LD MB had a side window shade that never was straight and was not fixable by me or when we took it back to the mothership.  Different rigs serve different purposes.  Our LD, without a toad was great for traveling across country to visit friends and relatives as well as much sightseeing.  The 5th wheel was great for the years we did the snowbird thing spending 4 months of the year in the southwest.  The small trailer we now have is perfect for our week long dry camping at the bluegrass festivals that we frequent here in the northwest.  We do like the truck-trailer combination, especially because I always like having a truck for all the other things a 4 wheel drive truck can do.  The 2 things I miss most about a motorhome is the ease of parking in tight spots, and the ability for dear wife to be able to use the facilities while under way.  She always seemed to need them more frequently than me for some reason.  The parking of the small travel trailer is not a problem, but I'll have to admit I never really got comfortable backing the 5th wheel.  Guess it was all the years of backing a boat trailer down a ramp, the 5th wheel was just a little different.  Again, while  I'm sure that some of the stories you hear about the build of those SOB's are true, some are not as bad as you might be lead to believe.

Rich ex 2000 MB still on this list  (since 1999) Birch Bay, WA
Former 2000 MB- Now Bullet Crossfire 1800RB trailer pulled by a Chevy 2500HD

Reply #22
"I admit to having a wandering eye with all the innovations out these days."

From what I see, most of the innovation is happening in the cab. RVs evolve very slowly, but automotive technology is changing rapidly. Features such as the ones I mentioned earlier--turbocharged high-efficiency engines, ten-speed automatic transmissions, automatic lane-keeping, maintaining a constant distance behind the vehicle ahead, as well as less "high-tech" ones such as air-conditioned seats--are appearing in new cars and trucks. Motorhomes have many advantages--being able to pull into a campsite on a cold, rainy night and walk from the cab back into the coach for a hot meal comes to mind--but one of the drawbacks of a motorhome is that the motive power is inseparable from the coach. The coach will last a long time with care, but ten or fifteen years after purchase, you're driving a ten- or fifteen-year-old van.

To pick an extreme example, you can pull a 1967 Airstream with a 2017 pickup like mine, and there are folks out there doing just that--enjoying the best of modern automotive technology along with a classic RV. By contrast, a 1967 motorhome is stuck in the bad old days of carbureted engines, drum brakes, and no air bags. Not many would choose to go that route! But like a boater who has the option of "re-powering" by buying a new outboard for an old boat, a trailer owner can replace their tow vehicle with a new one to take advantage of the latest advances.

Mind, I'm not trying to talk anybody out of their motorhome! I'm just pointing out the tradeoffs.

"However, I read about shoddy workmanship and six page punch lists versus my six item LD punch list and I just don't think I have the constitution to deal with the hassle."

I don't blame you one bit. Unfortunately, I don't know of any affordable trailers that are built to Lazy Daze standards; Airstreams certainly aren't.
Andy Baird

Reply #23
Incidentally, since I mentioned "affordable" in that last post, here's the cost of switching over to the Airstream + truck, in round numbers:

Airstream International Serenity 27FB with optional window awnings: $72,500 (about 15% below MSRP)
Ford F-150 SuperCrew with a slew of options packages: $58,000 (also about 15% below MSRP)
Snugtop cap in matching "Bronze Fire" paint: $2,500
ProPride 3P hitch: $2,750 shipped

(I'm not counting smaller/optional costs such as new wheels for the F-150--$500 on eBay--because I just could not stand the flashy plastic/chrome ones it came with.)

Not cheap! But this may be my last RV, and the trailer at least will probably be usable long after I am not. ;-)
Andy Baird

Reply #24
Hey Andy:  Congratulations on your new rig.  But remember, once a lazy dazer, always a lazydazer!
Fran
NE 54
Enjoying our 2013 MB,  our first was a 2005 26'IB
NE54 & SE11
Fran and Matt
Wagonmasters of the NELD Caravan group
2017-2019