Skip to main content
Topic: High pitched whining noise (Read 169 times) previous topic - next topic
High pitched whining noise
A bit of an odd question.

When I went out to the garage earlier today there was a high pitched whine seemingly coming from my LD. I went inside the coach thinking it might be one of the alarms, but they seemed normal. The nature of this noise made it hard to determine its location. I went outside and around the motorhome. It sounded like it might be from the battery box. I have the Trojan batteries hooked up to a charger. When I disconnected the charger the noise stopped and did not restart when I reconnected the charger. Everything now seems normal.

Any ideas?
Terry
2003 26.5'RB
Gardnerville, NV

Re: High pitched whining noise
Reply #1
"When I disconnected the charger the noise stopped and did not restart when I reconnected the charger. Everything now seems normal."

DH opines:  Charger overheated and whined about it, but cooled down, and then wasn't so cranky?  - OR - batteries themselves are overcharged and boiling - gas which is explosive might be escaping through a pinhole in the battery, creating the whistling sound?

Virtual hugs,

Judie

Re: High pitched whining noise
Reply #2
Does the battery charger have an internal fan for cooling? Fan bearings do wear out after awhile. Allowed to cool off, the fan may not come back on until the charger warms up, or in some cases the fan is permanently damaged. RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB