Skip to main content
Topic: Why your refrigerator may not work on propane above 8,000 feet (Read 388 times) previous topic - next topic
Why your refrigerator may not work on propane above 8,000 feet
This is a common thing for us when we park above 8,000. Finally, an explanation that makes sense to me.

Thanks to Ed D. for this contribution.

It's not a show-stopper for us. We just keep an eye on the light and if it goes out, it normally restarts with a power off/on.
The outside temp at 8,000+ is normally cool, so no worries.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Re: Why your refrigerator may not work on propane above 8,000 feet
Reply #1
I'm surprised Dometic didn't bother to add a way of adjusting the mixture, similar to what the water heater has.
Oh, wait a minute, Dometic didn't add one because its cheaper not too. I forgot.

Most Dometic gas solenoids have a built in shut off valve. You might tried dialing the flame down a bit to see if the lesser amount of gas burn cleanly.
I doubt if removing the jet cover will effect the burn, it has plenty of gaps that allow air to enter.

Running the refrigerator at high altitudes will produce a lot of soot, in the chimney, due to an excessively rich mixture.
Periodic cleaning, including removing the cleaning rod, accessed through the roof vent, is suggested.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Larry, you keep adding more and more work for me. I didn't know there was a cleaning rod up there or the soot issue at high altitude. Is the rod obvious and what do you do?

Jim

Reply #3
This might not be practical for fulltimers, or even most-of-the-timers, but if one were taking a week's vacation to a high elevation where the refrigerator's operation was "iffy", perhaps just using a cooler (or using the refrigerator as a cooler) with purchased ice might be a no-nonsense solution.  If one is at a high elevation, there is some chance that the outside temperature is low, thus not requiring much of the refrigerator's insulative resources.  If it gets really cold at night, you can put the cooler outside, wildlife permitting.

I've tried a variation of this scheme, and it worked pretty well for the month that our refrigerator was on the fritz when we were out on a three-month sojourn.  We weren't at a high altitude, so I didn't have that going for us, but the combination of stand-alone cooler, and refrigerator-as-cooler scheme worked satisfactorily.  I'm not saying it was easy; just satisfactory under the circumstances.

Once there is difficulty when one relies on resources that prove unreliable, it can cause a fair amount of consternation.  But if you are prepared for a different mode beforehand, then the alternative method becomes routine, and you just cope with it.

I haven't tried this, but how about freezing or buying a huge block of ice that fits in some sort of a container that slides onto the bottom of the refrigerator, with Blue Ice or half-gallon containers sprinkled here and there amongst the foodstuffs?  Clearly the ice would melt, but the drips would be contained, and even the melted cold water provides coolth.

This refrigerator-as-cooler scheme might be preferable to stumbling over a large-ish cooler taking up residence in the aisle.  If there are kids/animals, auxiliary coolers might not be workable, but I had two coolers and the refrigerator working this way with just the two of us without undue incident.  I kept the large cooler in the van, and kept the everyday things in the smaller cooler in the rig.  I kept it in the bathroom (RB), so it needed to be moved now and then (and wasn't heavy, so easy to move), but was out of the way most of the time.  I kept the least vulnerable food items in the refrigerator - mostly produce.

Warning:  Dry ice freezes everything in the cooler, disappearing at a rapid rate.  It DOES NOT provide long-lasting cooling for your items.

Virtual hugs,

Judie  <-- Sierra Vista, Arizona
Adventures of Dorrie Anne | Photographing the West

Today:  The Tale of Tippy Tail

Reply #4
One more part of my recent propane education that I'll pass on.

I had a Wave 3 installed recently by the company this tech works for.
While there, I got the refer lesson and more.
Propane, like gasoline, burns less efficiently with altitude. Something in the 2-3% range per thousand feet above sea level. The Wave 3 is rated at 3,000 BTU at sea level. Our camping style mostly takes us well above 8,000'. We're soon leaving for Leadville at 10,000'.

So. The BTU output for our Wave 3 will be in the 2,250 range at 10,000'. OK for our BabyDaze, not much for the bigger units.

This decreased efficiency also applies to the other propane appliances like the refer and HWH. Not only might the refer operate intermittently at altitude, when it does operate, it will not operate very efficiently.

My wife has a unique problem solving ability. While I'm fussing about this high altitude 'check light' issue, she asks if we have ever had any food spoil because of it?  Anyone ever get sick? 🤢 No, we have not.  Then she suggests that if i'm going to let  this silly light upset me, why not just cover it with a piece of masking tape?
Problem solved.😂

Reply #5
A refer experiment.

The last four days we have been camping in Leadville, CO at 9,688'.
During the day, with temps in the 70's,  the refer has operated flawlessly with 33*/13* being typical with the control set on 5.
At night, the temps have been in the upper 30's. When I get up in the middle of the night, or with the sun, the refer is not operating and will not light.  When the  outside  temperature gets between 44* and 46* the refer will light and continue to function properly for the rest of the day.
It seems that at this elevation, 44* is the minimum temperature at which the air to propane mix will support combustion. (Based on limited data).

In the morning just before the refer would light again, the highest temp I saw was 42* in the fridge and 14* in the freezer. Proving, once again, my wife was right. Masking tape is the solution. 😉

Reply #6
Larry, you keep adding more and more work for me. I didn't know there was a cleaning rod up there or the soot issue at high altitude. Is the rod obvious and what do you do?

Jim

I can't find anything in the Dometic manual regarding a cleaning rod and I haven't been up to look for it. Wonder if anyone can answer my questions about that?

Jim

Reply #7
Jim, this site is a PDF of the Dometic refrigerator repair manual; the part number for the Dometic flue brush is given in the small "flue" section on page 20.

Nancy J. Emmert
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #8
I can't find anything in the Dometic manual regarding a cleaning rod and I haven't been up to look for it. Wonder if anyone can answer my questions about that?
Jim

I had not forgotten to answer this, it has been too hot to consider going on the roof for photos.
I gave it a try today but didn't get a good shot of the top of the chimney, where the baffle is accessed, it was cooking up there.
Did get photos of the baffle and the wire used to remove it.
Refrigerator baffle | Flickr

Use a piece of heavy, bailing-type wire, 38" or longer and bent a hook in the end of it.
With the refrigerator's vent removed, looking down at the top of the chimney, you should see a wire ring.
Hook the ring with the wire and pull it up and out
The baffle was clean but some can be coated with carbon, especially if operated at high altitudes for long periods
To clean the inside of the chimney pipe requires using a 1" bottle brush, attached to a 3' heavy wire extension.
Domestic sells a brush or you can pick a brush, at Harbor Freight or similar, and attached to a piece of heavy wire to the handle.
Dometic Refrigerator Flue Soot Brush - Refrigerator Parts - Refrigerators -...

If dirty, a lot crud can drop down into the burner assembly.
This is good time to disassemble the burner assembly for cleaning and vacuuming.
It's also a good time to remove the jet for soaking in solvent.
Once the cleaning is complete, the baffle drops back into the chimney's opening.

Larry

Larry

Reply #9
JCG please check the link to the site you posted for the Dometic manual.  It sent me to a different page.
2004 26.5 MB
Enjoying retirement traveling, Rzr riding, photography, and of course the 2 grand girls!

Reply #10
Strange; the link URL was a copy and paste from the site.  ???

Anyway, here's the flue brush; seems like a very inflated price for such a simple tool, but you may find it from another vendor (the part number is listed there) or make your own. Or, just use compressed air to blow out the flue; I suggest laying a shop towel over the burner when this is done to prevent debris from getting into the jet.

Dometic Refrigerator Flue Soot Brush - Refrigerator Parts - Refrigerators -...
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #11
Oops, just noticed that Larry had already posted the same URL; sorry for the duplicate info.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #12
Jim

Use a piece of heavy, bailing-type wire, 38" or longer and bent a hook in the end of it.
With the refrigerator's vent removed, looking down at the top of the chimney, you should see a wire ring.
Hook the ring with the wire and pull it up and out

Larry

Thanks, Larry. I assume you have to push the baffle back in place with the same wire you pulled it out with? Is it easy to push too far or get it misplaced?

Jim

Reply #13
I assume you have to push the baffle back in place with the same wire you pulled it out with? Is it easy to push too far or get it misplaced?
It drops into place, once the baffle end enters the chimney. It's a loose fit and would be hard to do wrong.
The hardest part is getting the vent cover off and on. Once the baffle is out, the rest is self-explanatory.

Larry
Larry