Skip to main content
Topic: Refrigerator HELP (Read 297 times) previous topic - next topic
Refrigerator HELP
2000 IB frig not cooling on either ac or propane.  Sources available and dc avail. Eyebrow works.  In checking propane flame saw the dreaded yellow powder.  ?cooling leak?  Tech coming today to check.  Question:  frig is 17 years old.  New cooling unit? or bite the bullet and replace frig?   Frig has not given us any problems in the past.  Only traveling 3-5 months summer now.  Any comments appreciated. TIA   Norma Taylor

Re: Refrigerator HELP
Reply #1
My 2 cents,
Have the rv tech check it out.  Hopejully it is a control board.
If the cooling unit:
If there is a new frig has the same mouning measurements as the old one, go for it.
If the mounting measurements are different, like in 1990 ish,  go for the cooling unit.  You wind up doing cabnet work to fit it in.
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #2
Thanks for the input, Rodney.  We're thinking if cooling unit we'd change out the frig.  Could it just be a control board with yellow powder showing? Local place does have the DM 2662 which should fit. Norma Taylor  2000 IB  Dometic 3662

Reply #3
2000 IB frig not cooling on either ac or propane.  Sources available and dc avail. Eyebrow works.  In checking propane flame saw the dreaded yellow powder?  cooling leak? 
The yellow powder is probably dried coolant, leaked front the refrigerator.
If so, it's the kiss of death.
A 17 year old refrigerator is not worth replacing the cooling unit, since all  the various plastic parts are now brittle and can and will break easily.      Same goes for the controls, everything is old.                                                                                                                                                                                          
Look at it from the bright side, the refrigerator lasted a very long time, you definitely got your money's worth.                          
Our 2003 LD's refrigerator died after 11 years.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
As Larry said: "The yellow powder is probably dried coolant, leaked front the refrigerator.
If so, it's the kiss of death."

Just this April I had the 'kiss of death' in that my coils spilled out the yellow (phew) stuff... ammonia I'm told.

Made an appointment with the Mothership and they replaced my 12 year old DM2862 with the current model. No sweat removal or replacement, it's 24" x 24" and it will fit through the large front windows without modification, just open window and insert fridge.  ;D
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #5
Thanks all.  Talked with the tech, and he saved me a visit.  I surely thought it had the "kiss of death", so we were prepared.  Using his recommended place.  Place that has one in stock couldn't get us in til middle of next week anyway, so ordered a DM 2662 and hope to have by the end of the week.  Able to take extra stuff to daughter's.  At least we have that while we wait for our new tires to arrive for the rear, also. 

I think 17 years is a good thing; we will perhaps be selling in a couple of years, so surely would want a decent frig. and that could help her sell.

Anyone know if our door panels might work in the new frig?  Saving a few things of interior in case it's needed.  Surely appreciate the forum.  Norma

Reply #6
Listen to Larry about getting rid of the old fridge.  You are lucky you were not exposed to the fumes or a fire.  We had the fire caused by a Norcold that never gave us a problem from 2004 to 2011 until it did....

Also know that newer fridges like these made by Norcold and Dometic are  not necessarily made totally better or safer than the older ones before they started being sourced through China, except that Dometic does make these in more places than just China and, therefore, you could get lucky with coils manufactured with better quality control of the casting materials and process.
Terry Apple
2013 RB 27 Baby Blue Bentley

Reply #7
Norma

"Anyone know if our door panels might work in the new frig?"

The door panels were transferrable from my old DM2862 to the new model!

As for the interior shelves, that's another story. On my unit some (but not all) of the shelves could be used but some became surplus, which I will save for friends who can still use them.  If you are going to a different model all bets are off.  ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #8
Do save the door shelves and vegetable trays....wish we had.
The new Dometics are built even cheaper than the old.
The plastic is thinner and breaks easily.
The door panels should interchange.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #9
Frig installed yesterday.  Thanks for all the comments.  The door panels fit perfectly.  The plastic is surely not as sturdy as the old frig.  Did save all the "innards" for replacement of most shelves and crispers. After a week of living out of a cooler we're happy to have a frig again.  Thankfully the daughter had much of our stuff at her house.

The 2662 door opening latch is not as nice as the old one, but otherwise size seems to be about the same. Sure hated the cost, but what can you do?   Thanks again for all the help.  Norma