Skip to main content
Topic: Cabover Questions (Read 433 times) previous topic - next topic
Cabover Questions
1) Is the outside cab section above the driver and passenger seats painted like the rest of the body or is it gel-coat finish?

2) Is the cab over inside a 31IB capable of being used for sleeping? Convert to sleep area? Anyone do this in 31 models? Seems like a lot of wasted space. There is a note there says something about not storing heavier items up there.

3) Does LD provide any type of net or such to keep someone from rolling out of the cab over bunk?

Thanks

Ron Sarzynski
Ron and Linda
Ada Michigan

Re: Cabover Questions
Reply #1
1) Is the outside cab section above the driver and passenger seats painted like the rest of the body or is it gel-coat finish?
2) Is the cab over inside a 31IB capable of being used for sleeping? Convert to sleep area? Anyone do this in 31 models? Seems like a lot of wasted space. There is a note there says something about not storing heavier items up there.
3) Does LD provide any type of net or such to keep someone from rolling out of the cab over bunk?
1. The entire body is painted . Nothing is gel-coated, except the lower side panels, which also are painted.

2. The Mothership says no but I don't see why not. The same supporting structure is there. The cabinet isn't light either.
Understand that once the cabinet is removed, it isn't going to look finished, it wasn't built to be exposed.
It will take some work to build the bunk but is shouldn't be too difficult.
Removing the cabinets cleanly will be a challenge, LD's construction is stout.  it's likely it will come out pieces, so don't expect to be able to reinstall it at a later date, in case things don't work out or for resale. 

3. Several here have installed nets, primarily being concerned about young children falling out, while sleeping or playing..
The Factory provide no nets.
I know of no one who uses a net. We have sleep in our bunk for around 2000 nights, injury free.
Do you fall out of bed at home? If so, get a net or sleep below.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Thanks Larry.
1. Good news on the painted cab. Not a fan of maintaining gel coat.
2. That would be a big job. I am not a big job guy, even though I think I am. LOL. I agree it would come out in pieces and not go back in. I talked to factory about converting barrel chairs/table to dinette to give a safer method for car seats. They said it would be costly to do as it would require a lot of tear out including outside panels because of how well it is made.
3. Netting would be for grandkids safety and my wife's nerves!

Might have to look more at the 27MB. Although we really want the full queen bed. Decisions, decisions....

Have a great day!

Ron Sarzynski
Ron and Linda
Ada Michigan

Reply #3
Ron,

Looking at the Twin Bed model, it looks as if you would have more sleeping options for the grandkids:

Lazy Daze - Floor Plans

Of course, you could always just throw them outside in a tent.  Just check for bears first, lol!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #4
My wife lusts for grandkids traveling with us in the Lazy Daze.  At that time, I will modify a cage in the cabover bunk as I did in our camper to lock the kids in. It is pretty easy to make a folding kid barrier with that plastic coated wire shelf material and it held our kids into the cabover for years.

As far as I'm concerned, boats and RV's fit into the 6-4-2 model:

Six for drinks, four for meals, and two for sleeping.

Harold
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #5
My wife lusts for grandkids traveling with us in the Lazy Daze.  At that time, I will modify a cage in the cabover bunk as I did in our camper to lock the kids in. It is pretty easy to make a folding kid barrier with that plastic coated wire shelf material and it held our kids into the cabover for years.

As far as I'm concerned, boats and RV's fit into the 6-4-2 model:

Six for drinks, four for meals, and two for sleeping.

Harold

I like the 6-4-2 model. Good way to think about it.

My only concern with putting kids in a cage in the cabover would be in case of an emergency.  Evacuating the RV would take extra time which, in the case of a fire, is at a premium.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #6
Shelf material sticks up about 14 inches from the bunk and folds in, but not out. It is enough to keep a kid from falling out, but easy to push in and past to get the kid out.  We bungied ours to eye bolts in the ceiling at each end.

Mothers are pretty determined when it comes to protecting their children in an emergency. 

6-4-2 for me.
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #7
Our kids have slept on the top bunk without netting since age 3.5 (when we bought the coach).

They slept with their heads facing the front of the vehicle until they grew too long.  Usually there were too many pillows, blankets, bags, and stuffed animals for them to roll anywhere. 

Rich
2003 MB on NC
2003 MB

Reply #8
Greg
I agree the twin bed model gets more sleep area with the dinette. We prefer the queen bed. So I  called the Mother Ship and Todd said we could order the 31 IB with the dinette instead of the chairs. That is good to know. The chairs are ok but there is not enough room to use them with the table and other such items that limit movement.

Ron
Ron and Linda
Ada Michigan

Reply #9
Greg
I agree the twin bed model gets more sleep area with the dinette. We prefer the queen bed. So I  called the Mother Ship and Todd said we could order the 31 IB with the dinette instead of the chairs. That is good to know. The chairs are ok but there is not enough room to use them with the table and other such items that limit movement.

Ron

Good to know that the Mothership is a little flexible (kind of like Gumby with arthritis)!  :D

Did they give you a timeframe of how long a new build would take?
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #10
Our kids have slept on the top bunk without netting since age 3.5 (when we bought the coach).

They slept with their heads facing the front of the vehicle until they grew too long.  Usually there were too many pillows, blankets, bags, and stuffed animals for them to roll anywhere. 

Rich
2003 MB on NC

My grandkids have also slept in the overhead since they were 5 and 7 without anyone falling.   <smile> In fact we have had to remove some of the 'stuff' so we could see if they were still up there.   They love pulling the curtain for 'privacy'  from the adults. 
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #11
HiLola
MS will have 2018 pricing in July. They indicated 12-15 month wait for new ordered unit. This was about a month ago.

Ron
Ron and Linda
Ada Michigan