Skip to main content
Topic: Ford Changes Tire Brand for new RVs (Read 354 times) previous topic - next topic
Ford Changes Tire Brand for new RVs
Owners of newly delivered RVs from Phoenix Cruiser are reporting that Ford is now using Hankook tires instead of Michelin.  PC called Ford rep and had it verified.  I have not called LD to confirm.

The latest Consumer Reports on tires (Dec 2016) rates Michelin at the top and Hankook a ways down the list at #7... very disappointing as I only buy Michelin.   Best Tire Brands - Consumer Reports Testing and Reviews

Probably won't change our plan to order new, but may intensify search for newer LD.

Ron Sarzynski
Ron and Linda
Ada Michigan

Re: Ford Changes Tire Brand for new RVs
Reply #1
"Hankook"

Hankook... I don't even like the sound of the name! What happened to 'Buy American'?

At least Michelin is a good solid German brand.   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
I don't know which tire brand is used on the 2017 Ford E-450 DRW cutaway chassis used as the platform for many class C brands, but I believe that Ford has put Hankook tires on some Ford cars and light trucks for some time.  I don't know how CU tested the tires in its report, or which tires, e.g., passenger car or light truck, they tested, but the only "tire data" that would interest me would be the specs for Hankook's Dynapro HT RH12 (highway all-season) and/or the Dynapro AT-M (off-road, all terrain); these are Hankook's offerings in LT225/75R/16E , the tire size used on the E-450.

A tire expert would be able to assess the quality and longevity of materials and construction of each brand, Michelin, Hankook, Toyo, Goodyear, BF Goodrich, and/or any other tires in the appropriate applications, size, and load rating for the E-450 cab chassis, but the bottom line is that Hankook's LT tires are obviously much less expensive than Michelin LT tires of the same size and load rating.  The per-vehicle production savings on many thousands of units is very likely the rationale behind Ford's (and other vehicle manufacturers) using a cheaper tire.

I sure wouldn't "throw the baby out with the bath water" on this issue; IMO, it's hardly worth rejecting a proven chassis/engine because it's delivered with an easily replaced commodity. If Hankooks are the OEM tire on the new(er) E-450s, one has the options of running these until they need replacement or making a deal with a tire shop for a "cost plus" swap to a preferred brand.

As ever, YMMV.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
"Hankook"

Hankook... I don't even like the sound of the name! What happened to 'Buy American'?

At least Michelin is a good solid German brand.  ::)

I like the quality of German products, however, I believe Michelin is a French Tire Company.

Michelin - Wikipedia

No worries. I like the ride of my Michelin's no matter if French or German. At least until they time out. 😁

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #4
Back in 2003, when many of us bought new LDs, most came with Firestones tires.
This was soon after when the Ford Explorers had the problem with exploding OEM Firestone tires.
I know several who soon replaced the nearly new tires with Michelin, Bridgestone or Goodyears.

We ran the Firestones to 40,000 miles, before replacing them at the 5 year mark, without problems.
The Explorer's Firestone tires were a completely different tire, compared to the one that came with the new LDs.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Back in 2003, when many of us bought new LDs, most came with Firestones tires.
---
The chassis of my TK was manufactured in May, 2003; it came with Michelin LTX M+S tires. I'm on the third set of Michelin LTX M+S; this particular M+S tire is no longer manufactured, so I'll replace this set with the appropriate application of Michelins (currently labeled  "Defender") when the time comes.

I've had good luck with Michelins for 102k miles, so I don't see a reason to change what has worked well so far. YMMV, of course.  ;)   
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
My tire guy gave me a great deal on the Hankooks and said he had installed them in quite a few RVs without any problems.  So far after 7000 miles they seem fine without​ any wear problems.  Maybe next time I'll spend more money to see if the LD handles differently.
1997 TK

Reply #7
My Tahoe has Hankook tires on it. I didn't put them on it came with them. They have been great they wear real well have a nice ride and are quiet. Handle great in the snow and wet weather and do well off-road. I would put another set on when these wear out. But don't know anything about their rv tires.
Lynn and Lori

Reply #8
This is the Hankook tire that I believe now comes stock on the E-450. (The URL says "passenger cars", but this particular tire is a "light truck" (LT) tire in the applicable size, load index and "ply" count, i.e., 10 /load range E) for the Ford E-450.

Dynapro HT RH12 | Hankook USA

Passenger tire descriptions and specs focus on tread components; light truck specs often do, too, I suspect because "light truck" tires are used on large SUVs, pickups, and other comparatively "light" vehicles. A class C motorhome on an E-450 chassis is not a light vehicle, but because it comes stock with 16" wheels and requires a specific amount of clearance between the duals, one is limited to a 225/75R/16E light truck tire that's basically designed for a lighter vehicle. 

On a motorhome, the build, component quality, and strength of the tire's sidewall is more critical than the tread (design, underlying belting, etc.) because a heavy vehicle puts an enormous amount of stress (flex, heat) on a tire. If the tire(s) are overloaded (over the axle weight ratings and the gvwr), and/or underinflated for the specific load weight, the sidewalls wear far more quickly than the tread.

"Beefier" sidewall construction is the main reason why some prefer a steel-belted sidewall tire, particularly if one's rig is close to the gvwr, but tire choices in an appropriately-sized and specced tire are limited to a Michelin XPS Rib and  two Goodyear "commercial" tires, the G947RSS and the G949RSA. (Both of these tires are still shown as available on the Goodyear commercial light truck tire site.)

Personally, I much prefer an M+S tread (wider sipes, and sipes on the outer edges of the tire) design rather than a "highway" tread design (and my TK runs "light" at about 12,000 pounds), but some will trade tread design for steel-belted sidewalls. Steel-belted sidewall tires may make the ride a little harder, but for a heavier rig, they may be a very good choice.

As ever, YMMV.

2003 TK has a new home